[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did easterners historically and to this day think that its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

Why did easterners historically and to this day think that its a good idea to make the bulk of your army goat herders with sharp sticks
>>
File: 9a4.jpg (136KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
9a4.jpg
136KB, 640x640px
Isn't the system of forced conscription of different tribal groups used by ISIS or Iraq today the same as the Satrapy system
>>
>>2659042
explain
>>
File: Parthian Savaran.jpg (645KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
Parthian Savaran.jpg
645KB, 800x566px
>LE SLAVE SOLDIERS AMIRITE? SPARTAAA
trump_wrong.jpg.

Achaemenid Persia fielded professional infantry: the immortals were the permanent regiment under the direct command of the king, while Satrapal regiments raised an army of landed soldiers who were given lands to free them for a professional military service. In peacetime however, these return to their homes to managed their tiny estates. In addition to these are all the military systems of their subject peoples like mountain warriors from the caucasus or Syrian soldiers.

Since you posted TWC's lyl Parthian Soldiers, the Parthians were even worse: their offensive force was a vastly mounted army consisting of horse archers and the Savaran, who are basically knights trained from childhood to become heavy cavalrymen.
>>
File: help helper.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
help helper.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
>>2659350
>In peacetime however, these return to their homes to managed their tiny estates.

Am I retarded or is this some sort of a mixture of post-Marius professional Roman armies and medieval Western European feudal armies? At least in terms of organization.
>>
>>2659038
Don't forget:
>supposed army of nomadic desert goat herders
>somehow millions strong
>>
>>2659367
Nah. Giving soldiers land was the cheapest and easiest way to raise professional soldiers: provided you had land to give in the first place. Persia/Iranic Empires did it, Macedon and the Successors did it, Germanics & Celts did it, China partly did it.

Really: Rome and China were unique in ancient times since they paid all or some of their soldiers in wages.
>>
>>2659038

Well, they tried to hire some guys from Silicom Valley, but then realized that Silicom Valley did not exist yet so they had toconform with the herders.
>>
>>2659038
>to make the bulk of your army goat herders with sharp sticks

You just described the Macedonians under Alexander the Great.

>In the first place, as is reasonable, I shall begin my speech from my father Philip. For he found you vagabonds and destitute of means, most of you clad in hides, feeding a few sheep up the mountain sides, for the protection of which you had to fight with small success against Illyrians, Triballians, and the border Thracians. Instead of the hides he gave you cloaks to wear, and from the mountains he led you down into the plains, and made you capable of fighting the neighbouring barbarians, so that you were no longer compelled to preserve yourselves by trusting rather to the inaccessible strongholds than to your own valour. He made you colonists of cities, which he adorned with useful laws and customs; and from being slaves and subjects, he made you rulers over those very barbarians by whom you yourselves, as well as your property, were previously liable to be plundered and ravaged.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.