[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /his/ I've recently been studying Ancient Greece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: shield-2-300x300.png (201KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
shield-2-300x300.png
201KB, 300x300px
Hello, /his/ I've recently been studying Ancient Greece antiquity and I keep on coming upon this design on Hoplite/Warrior shields. What does it represent? What's the backstory on this design? It's almost always a bearded man's face with his tongue sticking out. I'm quite curious!
>>
It's supposed to depict the face the warrior's enemy is going to make when the shield's bearer assrapes them.
>>
>I've recently been studying Ancient Greece antiquity
>I have been browsing wiki articles
>>
File: Shields475-430-2.gif (18KB, 510x425px) Image search: [Google]
Shields475-430-2.gif
18KB, 510x425px
>It's almost always a bearded man's face with his tongue sticking out.
no
>>
>>2657925
I'm talking about that design in particular smart ass. I know there were plenty others.
>>
It's actually a Gorgon, which was attested as often symbolically being depicted on shields, with it being attested in the Iliad as being on Agememnon's shield and as Athena's aegis, which all goes back to Perseus slaying Medusa and her Gorgon sisters. Why they depicted them bearded even though they were female I don't know.
>>
>>2658051
Thank you sir! Finally, an educated answer.
>>
bump, also wondered this

Why is there so many mouthy spergs on this board?
>>
>>2658051
Actually the myth of Athena putting Medusa's head to use as a protective symbol on the aegis is an example of a myth being created to fit a pre-existing phenomenon. The gorgoneion, or similar gorgon faces, existed well before the existence of any of the ancient Greek city states we know of, and probably originates in a different culture altogether.

Odds are it was adopted as a protective symbol by the Greeks, on pendants, jewellery, or shields. Athena's role as a protective warlike figure in mythology made her the ideal centre of a myth to explain the origins of this symbol that the Greeks had adopted.
>>
>>2658216
*Ods are it was adopted as a protective symbol by the Greeks, on pendants, jewellery, or shields, after coming into contact with a near Eastern civilisation. (Trade, war, migration, however).
>>
>>2658093
dude how did you not learn this in like school?
>>
>>2658216
Thank you very much!
>>
>>2658625
Not everyone can afford nice schooling when they are young.
>>
>>2659055
nigga I went to small suburbs school on the poor side of town
>>
File: Angry_Marines_SP.png (101KB, 350x271px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Marines_SP.png
101KB, 350x271px
>>2657899
Bearers of this type of shields were the first angry marines
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.