[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a Sioux appreciation thread? It seems like they stayed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: xa-oglala.gif (1KB, 360x216px) Image search: [Google]
xa-oglala.gif
1KB, 360x216px
Can we have a Sioux appreciation thread? It seems like they stayed historically relevant longer than 90% of all other American civilizations.
>>
Sick flag as well.
>>
>>2657392
>It seems like they stayed historically relevant longer than 90% of all other American civilizations.

That's mostly due to living in the shittiest parts of the continent, thereby being the last the U.S. bothered to displace.
>>
>>2657647
Still, (ignoring Iroquois) all great First Nation leaders were Sioux
>>
>>2657802

What, Metacomet doesn't count?
>>
>>2657802
>First Nation

Hello leaf
>>
File: BuffaloBillWildWest-lrg.jpg (92KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
BuffaloBillWildWest-lrg.jpg
92KB, 500x330px
>It seems like they stayed historically relevant longer than 90% of all other American civilizations.

Buffalo Bill Cody is the main reason why the Sioux are the most recognizable American Indian tribe. He had Sioux tribe members perform in his traveling Wild West Show in the late 1800s and for a period even Chief sitting Bull came along. It was the first time most people saw actual Indians in person and their appearance became the standard for how the American public saw all Indians.
>>
File: 1860 Henry rifle.jpg (112KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
1860 Henry rifle.jpg
112KB, 661x496px
I've heard they used repeating rifles before the U.S Army did, which made them the most technologically advanced warriors in the world for a brief period. Is it true ?
>>
>>2659923
This is too interesting

> bump
>>
File: dog soldier 2.jpg (183KB, 809x910px) Image search: [Google]
dog soldier 2.jpg
183KB, 809x910px
Sioux succeeded in conquering most of the great plains due to their use of guns and cavalry excelling that of the other plains tribes. They obtained their weapons from the British across the border in Canada who wanted to hamper the spread of the USA into regions where they also had an interest.

Among Sioux warriors the most renowned were the Dog Soldiers who wore a long sash and carried a sacred arrow, when they went into battle they would put the arrow into the ground through the sash and then stand and fight where they were until they died. How this worked on horseback I have no idea, I imagine it was mostly for fighting on foot.

In 1862 the Sioux rose and slaughtered hundreds of German and Swedish settlers in Minnesota after a dispute over treaty obligations, starting the Dakota war, which was concurrent with the US civil war and lead to their ultimate destruction. Though they fared somewhat better than other tribes and are close to their old territory today, which is more than eastern tribes can say. Shame about the black hills though.
>>
>>2659923
It's true in a sense. Individual troops and units have been using repeating rifles like the Henry and Spencer since the civil war but these were privately purchased. The US Army didn't issue a repeating rifle until the adoption of the Krag Jorgensen in 1892
>>
Man, I wish we had given any of them permanent land so we could have a modern nation of natives.
>>
>>2657392

Before the evildumb Europeans arrived, the Sioux were a tribe of hunter-gatherers in the Canadian taiga. Once they got hold of horses, they swept down upon the peaceful farming communities of Dakota and essentially genocided them all. They spent the next ~100 years or so living high on the hog, then got their shit pushed in by the US. I for one see literally no reason to "celebrate" these ephemeral savages.
>>
>>2660451

that's like your personal want I suppose

me, I'm perfectly happy they aren't a nation
>>
>>2660536
Care to explain why?

> inb4 you use current-day statistics on native crime as "proof"
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.