[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: ewige wiederkehr.jpg (249KB, 589x953px) Image search: [Google]
ewige wiederkehr.jpg
249KB, 589x953px
>"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Does History actually repeat itself?
I mean civilizations rise and fall, yes; but would that stop if we "learned from the past"?
>>
>>2645851
No, history isn't a narrative.
>>
>>2645851
Its some meaningless dribble about how war is bad and evil when its natural human behavior.
>>
File: 1484242785458.jpg (220KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1484242785458.jpg
220KB, 1280x1280px
>>2645854
>"natural" human behavior
>>
>>2645851
>implying historicism isn't primarily used to justify political stances and is therefore inherently unscientific.
>>
>>2645861
Human response to anything they cant agree with is to kill eachother until one side agrees.
>>
>>2645875
This is a ridiculous generalisation that you should feel stupid for spreading.
>>
>>2645851
>civilizations rise and fall
do they really desu
>>
>>2645984
they don't?
>>
>>2645851
Its not as clear as this phrase implies, but nations can definitely learn from history.

Like we've already learned that empire's don't fucking last or that brutal repression of dissidence just makes it grow more.
>>
>>2646025
collapse of power structures definitely happens but what they were built on in the first place - culture and expertise - would probably just go do its thing elsewhere.

I don't know though.
>>
File: 1437439987920.png (32KB, 851x582px) Image search: [Google]
1437439987920.png
32KB, 851x582px
>>2646076
>Implying countless cultures havn't been completely destroyed by the ravages of time, or of other human beings, and that the only way to survive said ravages is to be a xenophobic nationalist
>>
>>2646088
>88

>the only way to survive said ravages is to be a xenophobic nationalist

praise kek
>>
>>2645851
Tell that to Charles X. Also history doesn't repeat it can however rhyme, sometimes.
>>
>>2645851
Certain mistakes do repeat themselves in history - like not paying your mercenaries.

Others are themes that seem consistent with human nature - private wealthy citizens often act against the state if it benefits them; which ties into the norm that people as a rule look out for themselves.

The notion that history itself is cyclical is untrue. For example, if we've been recording history for 4000 years or so, we should be able to start predicting events in our times; but we simply cannot. Cultures, peoples, technologies, geography and even language influences events in so many ways that it is impossible to predict, only enough to infer and guess.

I would say history does not make a shape, but is rather a collection of overlapping and influencing pyramids: with the apex being "the event", and every point inside the pyramid being more apexes from other events.
>>
>>2646088
>is to be a xenophobic nationalist

It sure worked great for China.
>>
>>2646128
There is a difference between xenophobia and paranoia
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.