[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How common was atheism among the peasantry in the middle ages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1489057107687.jpg (169KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1489057107687.jpg
169KB, 800x534px
How common was atheism among the peasantry in the middle ages? Am I really expected to believe that they believed it all unquestionably without any waxing and waning trends of disbelief? Doesn't seem possible. I remember reading about the social and religious order breaking down at the time of the plague in the cities let's talk about that.
>>
>>2643767
Quite common, I GUESS.
Outside of the world that got written down people are shitbags regardless of the time period.
>>
Atheism is impossible, so never. The new scientism is the deepest faith-based religion yet on earth. What you really want to be asking is whether they waned towards nihilistic religious thought, not whether they became logical contradictions.
>>
>>2643767
The Fournier Register is a set of records from the inquisition into heresy run by Jacques Fournier, Bishop of Pamiers between 1318 and 1325. Fournier was later to become Pope Benedict XII.

Even though the main focus of Fournier's inquisition work was to find Cathars, he was occasionally confronted with skeptics and nonbelievers.
In 1318, Fournier interrogated Aude from the village of Merviel. Aude had initially expressed doubts about the transubstantiation, and had subsequently also discussed her nonbelief in the existence of God with her husband and aunt. To her husband she said: "Sir, how is it possible that I cannot believe in our Lord?"[1]
And she asked her aunt: “Aunt, what might I do to believe in God, and to believe that the body of Christ is really on the altar?”[2]
Another woman, Guillemette of Ornolac, was brought in for interrogation because she doubted the existence of the soul. She expressed the opinion that what is referred to as the “soul” is nothing more than blood and that death is final. When Fournier asked her if anyone had taught her these ideas, she answered: “No, I thought it over and believed it myself.”[3]
Both women were sentenced to wear a double yellow cross on their backs for the rest of their lives.[4]
An even more outspoken villager who was called in for questioning by Fournier, was Raimond de l’Aire. Witnesses had heard him say that "God never made the world, that the world had always existed, that the resurrection was a myth, that the Eucharist was nothing more than bread and wine, that the rituals of the priests meant nothing, and that he gave to the poor not for his soul but so that others would see him as a good man." [5]
A witness told Fournier that Raimond deserved to be put to death for saying that Christ was not created through divine intervention, but "just through screwing, like everybody else.".
>>
>>2643767
If David Wood is correct about fatherless children in relation to religious and non-religion. Atheism may have been common right before the 100 year war. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wikEctQIRSs
>>
>>2644529
Those women sound cool
>>
File: Albino Somali Woman.jpg (102KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Albino Somali Woman.jpg
102KB, 500x375px
>>2644529
>tfw ywn give as few fucks as Raimond de l'Aire
>>
File: 1488768452135.png (70KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1488768452135.png
70KB, 300x300px
>>2644525
>atheism is impossible
>>
File: sdfgfd.png (6KB, 134x167px) Image search: [Google]
sdfgfd.png
6KB, 134x167px
>>2644529
>sentenced to wear a double yellow cross on their backs for the rest of their lives
I don't get it.
>>
>american obsession about "atheism"

christianity was often nothing but a different clothing of old habits and customs while being strict about the responsibilities

you had to attend church and pay your church tax, mumble amen, not divorce, dont rape nuns and other silly stuff but othen than that you were having traditions stronly correlating to your previous religion such as easter (connected to sprind and fertility)
>>
File: IMG_3994.png (3KB, 526x767px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3994.png
3KB, 526x767px
>>2644748
Carrying two crosses around with you usually meant you were a repentant Cathar. Cathars weren't a big fan of people using a form of execution as a way to worship Christ.
>>
>>2644748
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathar_yellow_cross
>>
>>2644825
interesting theory
>>
>>2644529
>and that he gave to the poor not for his soul but so that others would see him as a good man.
Atleast he was honest.
>>
>>2643767
Do you realize how immensely superstitious people were back then? The peasantry would have been even more so due to lack of education. I'm guessing peasants were among the least skeptical people in Europe during the Middle Ages.
>>
>>2644529
>for saying that Christ was not created through divine intervention, but "just through screwing, like everybody else."
A man man obviously. Common sense tells us God created Christ and Christ is himself. As madness is a curse of devil, the only cure is death.
>>
Poor people are superstitious as fuck
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.