[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We don't learn any of american history in russian schools,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: US flag.png (3KB, 300x158px) Image search: [Google]
US flag.png
3KB, 300x158px
We don't learn any of american history in russian schools, so I decided to ask /his/.
At which point it was decided that picrelated will be a republic, and not a monarchy like all the proper states? What inspired that decision? Is it true that Washington was offered a crown, but he refused it?
>>
>>2636697
It's important to note that for the first 30 or so years of existence the United States could barely be called a nation. So it would be impossible for the country to have had a monarch with any real power.

Also Washington was never explicitly offered a crown, but there were opportunities for him to take power. Read about the Newburgh Conspiracy. I'm not very patriotic but that speach brings a tear to my eye.
>>
>>2636725
>It's important to note that for the first 30 or so years of existence the United States could barely be called a nation
That's wrong, though. The U.S. had a distinct national identity from Britain since at least Queen Anne's War which was fully cemented by the time of the French-Indian War.
>>
>>2636697
We had always had some degree of republican self-rule, going back to the Mayflower Compact, the Virginia House of Burgesses, etc., so we were used to republicanism.

Even during the Revolutionary War, the provisional government was the "Continental Congress", a Republican body.

George Washington was never offered a crown. That's just a silly meme we tell children to show how selfless he was (supposedly).

Anything else, Ivan?
>>
>>2636751
So you are telling me that a person from Virginia would describe themselves as an American Before as a Virginian.
>>
>>2636831
They would likely describe themselves as a colonial.
>>
File: american.jpg (151KB, 1268x583px) Image search: [Google]
american.jpg
151KB, 1268x583px
>>2636697
>Is it true that Washington was offered a crown, but he refused it?

not really. It wasnt like they decided to offer to make Washington into the king and form a constitutional republic. What happened was Washington was so insanely popular that he would just keep on running for president and defacto become the "king" of america. But then, he decided to give it all up after two terms, which started the whole thing about our president only having two terms. In fact, when King George III heard Washington was only going to have 2 terms, he said he was the greatest man in the world.

And our founding fathers were heavily influenced by John Locke, so the idea of an all powerful king is diametrically against the entire ethos of america.
>>
>>2636845
>form a constitutional republic.

*constitutional monarchy
>>
>>2636839
No that's how you would describe them. Literally all the arguments for the first 80 years of the Republic could Center around whether or not the state's were sovereign.
>>
>>2636853
>No that's how you would describe them. Literally all the arguments for the first 80 years of the Republic could Center around whether or not the state's were sovereign.
That's how they would describe themselves to outsiders, not as [insert state here]. Internal conflict after the fact is irrelevant.
>>
>>2636853
Until the civil war, which was mainly caused by states' rights-ists. And thus indirectly slavery, bla bla no slaves in northern states but slaves in southern states bla bla
>>
>>2636845
For all the non-Americans, we only had ONE president be elected to more than 2 terms (Franklin Delano Roosevelt), and we felt so bad about it, we made it illegal after he died.
>>
>>2636876
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Convention

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullification_Crisis

While slavery was the driving force it was by no means the only source of conflict.

>>2636866
I mean you will find some outlyers like John Adams, but the majority of people didn't consider themselves to be mainly described as Americans.
>>
File: JohnLocke.png (709KB, 614x792px) Image search: [Google]
JohnLocke.png
709KB, 614x792px
>>2636697
The founders of the US were inspired from European enlightenment philosophers like John Locke who said that the right of a government to rule came from the consent of the governed. Joe Blow the farmer must be given a say in the government not because he will make good decisions but because he has a right to it and it would be fundamentally wrong to control him via the government without giving him fair voice and representation. That was the principle behind the outrage of "taxation without representation". The American colonists were upset that they were being ruled (taxed) without their input or consent even though their tax burden was low compared to the British citizens living in Great Britain. Also the Founders were educated in the classics, so the specific inspiration for a republic came from ancient Rome.
>>
>>2637020
Yea that's what I (>>2636876) meant
>>
>>2636902
and we make a note of it every time FDRs terms are brought up, it was actually pretty embarrassing to us even though he is considered a pretty great president.
>>
>>2636845
Good thing FDR died in his 3rd term.
>>
>>2638848
4th term
>>
>>2637218
This.
If you want a good, quick view of it, the HBO show John Adams does a pretty good job of showing the process.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.