[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the Japanese have this unique ability to adapt Western

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Ashigaru_using_shields_(tate).jpg (544KB, 935x682px) Image search: [Google]
Ashigaru_using_shields_(tate).jpg
544KB, 935x682px
Why do the Japanese have this unique ability to adapt Western technology more so than any other non-western people?
>Basically revolutionize their military as soon as they come into contact with matchlock rifles, turning their military into gunpowder capable armies in a few decades, when the Chinese had gunpowder for hundreds of years and couldn't nearly do such a thing
>Adapt western technology and become an industrial, economic, military and imperial power with modern industry and military technology in the span of 40 years when China couldn't do that in hundreds.
>>
>>2636637
less cultural inertia. The Japanese at the time were constantly fighting each other so any leg up was immediately useful.

China literally believed they were the center of the world
>>
>>2636644
Let me add though that the Chinese unwillingness to innovate is greatly exaggerated and they adopted matchlocks too
>>
>>2636644
>China literally believed they were the center of the world
中国 means Inner Kingdom more than Center Kingdom as the moronic memetastic translation will have you believe. In other words it's just another way of saying "our country" as opposed to outsiders' countries.
>>
>>2636637
You should read Giving up the Gun
>>
>>2637624
Not him but when I learned Mandarin in high school a mainlander taught us that it means "Middle Kingdom" hence the center or middle of the world thing
>>
File: Chinese and Japanese Navies.jpg (604KB, 1800x785px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese and Japanese Navies.jpg
604KB, 1800x785px
>>2636637
>Basically revolutionize their military as soon as they come into contact with matchlock rifles, turning their military into gunpowder capable armies in a few decades, when the Chinese had gunpowder for hundreds of years and couldn't nearly do such a thing
BUT THEN
>CANNOT PUT CANNONS ON FUCKING SHIPS
>CANNOT FIGURE OUT CANNONS TO SAVE THEIR LIVES.
During the Imjin War, the Japanese had more muskets and better musket tactics than both Korea (who had zero) and China (who had some but fewer than nips).

However Ming China levelled the playing field by having more cannons than anyone in East Asia.
>>
>>2637635
There are several problems with that work.

>>2637873
Yeah the Japanese had trouble with cannon design. my understanding is Japanese made cannons basically like big guns which was time consuming and didn't work very well. The Japanese had to import their best cannons during the period. They were however very interested in western ships and cannons,and before the closed the country off they were looking into those methods before they did a 180 and closed the country
>>
>>2637635
The Japanese never "gave up" the gun.
>>
File: 16f1c18.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
16f1c18.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
The Japanese are controlled by a Caucasoid, aryan elite (Ainu)
>>
>>2638117
Is that the mascot of /hm/?
>>
>>2637624
Citation?

Because I'm Chinese and I find your "translation" amusing.
>>
>>2638117
Wrong
>>
>>2637624
>Inner Kingdom
The original meaning of Zhongguo was the territories directly controlled by the Zhou kings as opposed to their vassals.

Zhongguo became a geopolitical term for northern China soon after and was used metaphorically by southern dynasties and even the Vietnamese.

>>2637873
>China (who had some but fewer than nips).
No,the Chinese clearly had far more matchlocks and arquebusiers in the entirety of the empire but they mostly sent cavalry/mounted infantry from northern garrisons.

>>2637900
>Yeah the Japanese had trouble with cannon design.
The Japanese used breech loading cannons for siege defense,they lacked the logistical support(lack of pack animals for one) or the infrastructure to use them en masse.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.