[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First of all I apologize if this is something obvious but I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

First of all I apologize if this is something obvious but I don't have much knowledge about medieval history.

So I was thinking about this yesterday and realized that throughout medieval history and a bit further, up to the rise of nationalism perhaps, you would have various regions and each would be ruled by a noble.

Counts, Barons, Dukes, Kings, the Emperor, etc.

It made sense to me if you could place them all in a neat pyramid with the King (or the Emperor) on top and everyone bellow.

I even - somewhat - understand the whole Primus Inter Pares deal between the Emperor of the HRE and the various Kings.

My problem is with sovereign Duchies.

Hell, if you are an Independent and Sovereign Estate (and I understand that the concept of sovereignty can't be exactly applied to the medieval era) whats stopping you from considering yourself a King?

Get Luxembourg for instance. Its a Sovereign nation up to this day but why haven't its ruler one day got up and decided to be considered a King? I know that doing that today wouldn't make much sense, but thought its history wouldn't it be something better?

At the same time you have powerful Duchies that remained dependent on a King (Duchy of Aquitaine for instance).

This question always comes back to me when thinking about the problems the HRE had with Italian city-states. If Milan was so serious about not being submitted to the HRE why didn't it just declare itself a Kingdom - why remain a Duchy??? Whats stopping it?

TL;DR: Whats the difference between a King and a Sovereign Duke?
>>
I imagine that if a duke decided to call himself a king, he would be laughed at by his peers. And maybe bitchslapped by a nearby actual monarch.

The dukes of burgundy wanted to become kings, but they felt the need to ask permission to the pope and the emperor.

There was also a rule in the HRE that there could only be one king, that of bohemia. That's why the hapsburg only became archdukes and there were kings in prussia but no king of prussia.
>>
>>2635344
Sometimes the medieval people had trouble to designate their ruling titles. For exemple, in France, the counts of Champagne or Flanders were extremly powerful nobles, yet they were not called "dukes", even if they could easily claim this title. It is mostly because most of the landed titles of Europe come not from self-proclaiming, but by either election (In the case of the first Kings of France) or by being granted by a higher authority.

As >>2635489 said, Charles the Bold of Bourgogne wanted to proclaim himself King, his duchy of Bourgogne was so powerful that it was a realm of its own ; But he looked not for the title of "King of Burgundy", but for the traditional, ancestral title of "King of Lotharangia".
>>
>>2635489
>I imagine that if a duke decided to call himself a king, he would be laughed at by his peers. And maybe bitchslapped by a nearby actual monarch.

makes sense
>>
>>2635344
I never understood the purpose of writing out a whole post, if you're just going to TL;DR it at the end.

Why not just start with a TL;DR and see if the question requires further clarification for a gratifying answer?
>>
Because for your claim to have any substantiation, the Pope would crown you or give you a crown, hence why Poland goes from Duchy to kingdom, without any territorial changes.
>>2635489
Niqqa
Prussia is very complicated
It started as two main parts, the brandenurgians and the Teutons
Brandenburg was a county that expanded and became a duchy after asking the HRE for one, and became an elector somewhere along the line so could elect an emperor
The Teutons were supposed to be a crusading order to help pacify the pagans of the baltics, but backstabbed the polish king by both fighting him and stealing lands agreed to the king. The Teutonic order was eventually secularised into the duchy of Prussia, as its grand master was a Lutheran and so said fuck the pope in the biggest manner, although this duke became a vassal of Poland.The duchy of Prussia and elector/march? of Brandenburg were both ruled by Hozenhollorns though and so eventually ended up in a Personal union between their ducal crowns. Owing to expansion and help in the thirty years war(?), the emperor makes Prussia a kingdom, but 'king IN Prussia' so as to not annoy the polish king. Frederick the great is crowned King OF Prussia following the first partition of Poland, as now he was indepdent and the Poland-Lithuanian Common Wealth was a mere rump state
>>
>>2635524
It might be that nobles relied on tradition and inheritance to legitimate their authority; and so they feared that, if they began to proclaim this and that based just on military/economic power and their own ambition, they would lose this legitimacy, and undermine the very status of nobility.
>>2635344
>>
Why did the Lombards call themselves Dukes if they were independent and didn't consider themselves under the rule of the Carolingians ? ?
>>
>>2635573
Pope still made the rules
>>
Good thread

Bump
>>
>>2635573
Good question
>>
Lombardy was not a kingdom/state,it was part of a larger country
>>
>>2637356
?
It was the kingdom of Lombardy that Charlemagne conquered?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.