[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw ancient historians were basically just propaganda writers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (10KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 209x241px
>tfw Rome probably wasn't as dank and righteous as Livy said it was
>>
>>2635314
Why?
>>
>>2636009
They were often patronised by government or rich figures with certain agendas. Also, basic tribal bias (see le epic 300 Spartans vs 20000000 Persians).
>>
File: R41-1024x682.jpg (256KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
R41-1024x682.jpg
256KB, 1024x682px
>>2635314
Based on the physical evidence left bro, I'd say it was even danker
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>2635314
>tfw Cincinnatus was probably just a douchy patrician who only worked a farm because he lost all his money
>tfw I have no more role models
>>
>>2636014
>le epic 300 Spartans
Everybody knows/knew they were 2000.
>>
File: list-10-mad-monarchs-caligula-E.jpg (128KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
list-10-mad-monarchs-caligula-E.jpg
128KB, 686x385px
>>2635314
Isn't it said that a lot of the crazy shit the Claudians did was greatly exaggerated by Tacitus to make the Flavians look good?
>>
>>2635314
>>2636649
If you were born in Rome during the Principate there's a 99.9℅ chance that you'd some poor beggar living off the dole.

What we read as "Roman history" is the history of the top 0.001℅ of Romans. It'd like LARPers in the year 3000 thinking that they'd be living like Dan Bilzerian if they lived in our time.
>>
>>2637101
What in the fuck are you on about, are you trying to apply some redpilled philosophy onto the Roman Empire? Tell me then what would you do if you were born in say Gaul? You'd think that you'd live better than the 99.999% of the Romans you said were dirt poor?.
>>
>>2637173
He's not saying being Roman was worse, he's just saying that what we call history is usually just the history of the upper class.

Lower class Romans were probably doing relatively good compared to the surrounding tribals, but the average Roman wasn't a senator or merchant. You had a much greater chance to be some pleb in a field
>>
>>2637262
Well depends where do you live and what do you call history. I live in a city build on top of Roman city. Heck the basement of my grandmother's house was a Roman room belonging to a residential building. On the other side of the street are the insulas. I know how the ordinary Joes lived and I know it wasn't eat till you puke the eat some more while fucking a 14 yo boy. But the very infrastructure they created alone elevates the living standard to levels not seen until after the Renaissance
>>
File: scaevola.gif (301KB, 822x521px) Image search: [Google]
scaevola.gif
301KB, 822x521px
>>2636862
Scaevola probably didn't even exist
>>
>>2637173
>>2637262
>>2637307
When the Empire fell in the West living standards actually increased.Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaulish peasants lived lives that were just as good as Roman peasants.

The degree to which you believe people identified with the Roman Empire and benefited from it's existence is highly exaggerated.
>>
>>2637690
Living standards certainly increased relative to 5th century Rome, but are you also saying subjects under the Ostrogoths & other successor states in the west enjoyed a higher standard of living than Romans in the Antonine period? I find that hard to believe
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.