[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was importing slaves from Africa to work on plantations in Americas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 4444476398_ce3bc30f7d.jpg (18KB, 222x258px) Image search: [Google]
4444476398_ce3bc30f7d.jpg
18KB, 222x258px
Was importing slaves from Africa to work on plantations in Americas really necessary? Why couldn't the Europeans do it themselves?
>>
>>2632973
Paying people enough to work the plantation would make them far less profitable.
>>
Europeans were dispersing across an entire continent and so it was very hard to gather enough labor willing to do such work.

Plus their economies were already competing with slave holding civilizations. It would have been prohibitive to pay real working wages.

So, much like America in 2017 agricultural labor was relegated to an ethnic underclass without citizenship.

You don't want 9 dollar avocados.

Understand nothing much has changed since the antebellum South.
>>
>>2633000
>only illegal Mexicans work in agriculture
>>
Physical labor is basically impossible on a genetic level for white people in the american south.
>>
>>2633013
Are there many US citizens working careers in farm labor?

I would be interested to know where
>>
>>2633037
Missouri
>>
>>2633075
Everything I could find indicates large illegal populations on the farms in Missouri as well.

Anyhow it's just a non-citizen ethnic underclass. America has always had them.
>>
File: southernbelle.jpg (42KB, 350x403px) Image search: [Google]
southernbelle.jpg
42KB, 350x403px
>>2633037
why hire a citizen when you can pay an illegal less than minimum wage, no benefits and no tax
>>
>>2633037
Are you seriously claiming there are no US citizens who do farming? This is a pretty bold statement
>>
>>2633102
Farm labor?

I would love to see it. But as far as I know we've been bringing in Hispanics since agriculture became a thing on the west coast.

Now they've moved into many to other labor positions as well.

America only exists on the non-citizen ethnic underclass.
>>
>>2632973
if the whites ran away they would just hide among the others

see negros black skin is a tag for their status unlike white indentured servants and Indians
>>
>>2632973
No it wasn't necessary, but it saved money. And as an aggressive capitalist nation that renounced any old traditions all the early americans cared about was profit.
>>
>>2632973
Yes, but not as cheaply.

Europeans were used as indentured servitude after abolition.
>>
File: commodity_fig01.png?v=42461.png (2MB, 4267x3417px) Image search: [Google]
commodity_fig01.png?v=42461.png
2MB, 4267x3417px
>>2633116
Ah, Iowa, or as we liberals call it, the Mexico of the North
>>
>>2634618

Iowafag here.

Urbanity here is almost Mexican-tier. We just need brutal druglords then we're gucci
>>
>>2633013

Yeah, he is forgetting all the children who are forced to work in the fields too because agriculture labor is exempt from many child labor laws in the US.

And I don't mean helping out on Mom and Pop farms either, children get yanked out of school for days for intensive harvesting alongside illegals.
>>
White slaves were too smart and rebelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon%27s_Rebellion
>>
>>2632973
At first you just had normal colonists working the land, who were substinence farmers, although the new crops and techniques helped to increase profits. The boundless lands were all well and good in actual America, but in the carribean, they're all islands, meaning only so many people could go onto the land and have their homestead. The English solution to this was to bring Irishmen, who had committed wrongs, called 'indentured servants', this was more like Roman slavery where you were expected to set them free at some point. It was the Portuguese who started the slave trade proper to the Americas, then the Dutch took that over as the Dutch just became more powerful than the Portuguese.
Due to the union of British crown and Stadholder, but also the British just generally taking over the Dutch, the use of slaves passes into the carribean. Because the carribean was now wholly dependent on slavery, farming for food dropped drastically and was replaced with cash crops like tobacco and cotton. Due to the increased profit margins it spread inland as some colonies had already been doing cash crops, which grew best in the south, hence why the south was so pro slavery as their economy relied upon it, whilst the north didn't particularly.
Also of note is how the rapid colonisation of the Americas by the English, and the wealth redistribution of the reformation, created a proportionally larger middleclass than other nations, as such there was this great demand on the cash crops
>>
>>2633013
Illegal central Americans.
Either those of those companies/farms forcefully make many legal temp labourers stay by going "oh when your contract is up you'll get another visa so you can work" but then nit doing so so the labourers are forced to stay or get arrested and the government gives no fucks about that.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.