[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does an anthropologist do ? Im studying communication science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 14-herkovitz1-450.jpg (81KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
14-herkovitz1-450.jpg
81KB, 450x300px
What does an anthropologist do ?

Im studying communication science but everything is like ¨leftist Frankfurt School jews are good, whites are bad, free women and blacks¨

But I took an anthropology course at my college and it wasnt like that, they even told us races were indeed different and all that stuff /pol/ loves.
>>
>>2628713
>communication "science"
>>
>>2628740
Fuck off m9 its a thing (shitty or not its a science)

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_studies
>>
>>2628713
Anthropology in American universities is usually divided into 4 subfields:

*cultural anthropology
*linguistics
*archæology
*physical anthropology (aka /pol/ stuff)
>>
>>2628771
Elaborate pls.

Also Im not a /pol/tard so Im more into cultural/linguistic
>>
desu
>>
>>2628786
Not that anon but it depends on the subject

>linguistic
Seeing how language changes over time and observing the connections between them all. This includes things like slang.

>cultural
This is the left leaning hug box side of things that's really anti west and white people. It parades anyone outside of the first world as those who truly understand life and undermines western values at any chance. I'm not even far right and that shit got on my nerves. It mainly relies on feelings and opinions to create facts.

>archæology
>physical anthropology
These are more science based. Archaeology is digging shit up and seeing the correlation in ancient peoples and how we are now. Physical anthro is seeing the changes humanity went through over time. Physical isn't /pol/ it basically says: "There are noticeable differences in races but they're only in physical appearance and how we develop to different environments. They're so arbitrary that you can barely tell skeletons apart by race and sometimes get them mixed up."

t. anthro minor
>>
>>2628933
But what can you do after you graduate apart from being a professor or doing research
>>
>>2628933
>but they're only in physical appearance

top cuck
>>
>>2628933
>: "There are noticeable differences in races but they're only in physical appearance and how we develop to different environments. They're so arbitrary that you can barely tell skeletons apart by race and sometimes get them mixed up."
>there's no noticeable differences except for the differences we notice
>>
>>2628933
Don't talk about the entire field of anthropology authoritatively most unis award minors after a mere 12 credits
>>
>>2628933
>>2628939
>>2628948
>>2628949
>>2628960

From STEM to gender studies what tier is anthropology ?
>>
>>2628939
In physical/archaeology you can work for the police force digging up bodies and shit but that's a lot of school. A majority will be research related but you can branch out, I'm not exactly sure on the specifics

>>2628948
I forgot to mention shit like suceptablity to disease but it's a tl;dr
>inb4 post about race pseudo science

>>2628949
What I meant by that is that while you can notice a trait that's prominent in one race it isn't exclusive to that race. You can find something you'd expect to see on a black's skull but it's be on an asian.
>>
>>2628976
You telling me /pol/ lied about iq and race ?
>>
>>2628976
>physical/archaeology you can work for the police force digging up bodies
Not really. Forensics is a very small, and incredibly saturated, field. There also aren't very many schools that have good programs for it. Getting into it is a gigantic longshot.

In general, bachelor's degrees are pretty much useless in anthro, if you actually want to work in the field. If that's all your planning on getting, you can use it the same you would any other degree: to get some kind of office job. I've known anthro majors have have gone on to do pretty much everything from marketing to IT. As for the actual career prospects of the subfields; none of them are very lucrative, but here's a general overview:

>cultural
With a master's you can do applied anthropology, which usually means working with NGOs and doing community-level projects. With a doctorate you can be a college professor. Those are really the two career options.

>Linguistic
Pretty similar options to cultural. There's also the option of getting into language education. Much fewer people get into this subfield, and most anthro departments don't have much of a linguistic program outside of an intro course.

>Biological
Most people in this field have doctorates. Research is the most common career option, although universities positions have the most job stability. Most bi professors I've had have worked doing research, in zoos, and at universities.

>Archaeology
The only subfield you can actually get into with a bachelor's, although you'll just be doing temporary, seasonal work if you try. Again, working in a university setting is an option, but most archaeologists work in cultural resource management. The are public and private sector jobs that involve doing research and managing sites in compliance with laws about heritage protection. Basically, before development can destroy sites, people need to document them and mitigate potential damage.
>>
>>2629017

solid write up
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.