[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was the worst era to be a soldier in? For most of the history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 273
Thread images: 37

File: IMG_0414.jpg (699KB, 1600x1123px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0414.jpg
699KB, 1600x1123px
what was the worst era to be a soldier in?

For most of the history of warfare dudes were killed by fucking swords. That's got to be a hell of a way to die
>>
Medieval sieges. You gotta go trough that ladder. Man... That's just suicide.

And WW1 Trenches. True horror.
>>
>>2628471
>For most of the history of warfare dudes were killed by fucking swords.

Nope. More died from arrowfire, but the number one killer was disease.
>>
I would not be able to stand Napoleonic warfare. The guys on the line had the biggest balls to stand there and take and fire shots. I remember reading that guys would do snuff to calm their nerves, and brothers would be next to eachother and just see a shot blow their brains out. Crazy.
>>
>>2628478
Fuck I forgot to put arrows.
>>
Probably being a native somewhere when Europe sowed up and acted like dicks. Like down under.

Imagine you're shitting in a bush, thinking about showing your pal that huge rock you found when suddenly some white-skinned demons come from the ocean shooting fire, speaking in tounges and riding beasts.

Must have been fucking terrifying.
>>
>>2628480
How were we ever dumb enough to fight battles in lines that like? Was there a practical benefit?
>>
>>2628475
>Medieval sieges. You gotta go trough that ladder. Man... That's just suicide

That almost never happened. A siege wasn't storming the walls (because that's suicide, as you say), it was camping out outside waiting for the guys inside to starve.
>>
WWI without a doubt. Imagine listening to your countrymen cry as they sink to their death in mud, but you know that if you climb out of your trench to help you're immediately going to be killed by machine gun fire. So instead you listen to him scream throughout the night. Or imagine sitting through the night all alone in crater filled with toxic water hoping a shell doesn't land in your crater, knowing if you try to get back to your trench you'll be shot.
>>
>>2628498
B B BUT MUH TOTAL WAR VIDYA
>>
>>2628498
Assaults are truly like that. Look at Middle-Eastern and Asian sieges. Plus it's a nightmare for both sides, taking an arrow on the battlefield is much better than drinking your own piss inside the walls.
>>
>>2628478
>THIS
Ancient warfare was like 10k killed on a siege, 9k of them by disease, 500 by battle and 500 captures and executed
>>
>>2628510
Is there a counter to a siege? You can't get supplies in, and your forces only have narrow gates to leave the city to enter battle
>>
>>2628488

It's a popular misconception that soldiers just stood there waiting to get shot. Of course they knew about cover, etc. But in a large battle they would have to move in massive groups for the same reasons soldiers of previous eras did. To concentrate force, to cover their flanks, to be able to command in the first place.
>>
>>2628483
But Neolithic farmers never has armies?
>>
>>2628471
>For most of the history of warfare dudes were killed by fucking swords
>swords
fuck off
>>
>>2628534
You know what I mean.
>>
>>2628538
You meant spears?
>>
>>2628517
Sallying out to break the siege
The enemy leaving due to fatigue or worn down by attacks
An allied army relieving you and attacking or chasing off the besiegers (unless you're fighting Caesar)
>>
>>2628543
>what is the gladius
>>
>>2628543
I guess he meant relatively short range melee weapons. aka, the era of being right in your enemies face and just trying to gut or dismember them before they did the same to you.
>>
I daresay the Trenches were pretty fucking awful.
>>
>>2628517
typically the other army can't besiege you during the harvest season so you just wait, there is also the likelihood that you're in you own territory and you have partisans fucking with their moral, not to mention its expensive and physically difficult to sustain a besieging army in enemy territory
>>
Worst time would probably the time between gunpowder becoming mainstream (let's say 1500) up to when modern body armor became standardized (post Vietnam).
>>
>>2628471
>For most of the history of warfare dudes were killed by fucking swords. That's got to be a hell of a way to die

No. That would probably be spears, arrows, and disease.
>>
I think modern warfare is pretty bad for the fact that you sometimes can't always see your enemy and need to always be alert, probably why more soldiers have PTSD now than before. And by this I mean the Afghanistan and Iraq war, probably Vietnam war too.

However centuries ago the enemy was right in front of you in the battlefield and you could always rely on your skill or tactics. I suppose they are both different types of anxiety but I'd rather experience the later.
>>
>>2628478
Human history of warfare up to and partly including WW1 yea
>>
>>2628546
this and/or spear
>>
What's the comfiest? Naval warfare?
>>
>>2628471
>>2628475
>>2628480
>>2628488
>It's warishelltards show they don't know how people in the past fought episode
>>
>>2628471

OP, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

WWI was easily one of the worst eras to be a soldier.

>Enlist or be conscripted
>Constantly exposed to the sound and vibrations of artillery constantly
>Sleep deprived
>Constantly anxious concerning the next attack
>Being exposed to chemical warfare, particularly mustard gas, which could be trapped in the environment and clothes, meaning you couldn't escape exposure to it, even with respirators
>The gasmasks given to you were effective at clearing particulates, but were claustrophobic to wear and only enhanced anxiety
>Your commanders didn't give a shit about you, and viewed you little more than chattel
>Diseases like trenchfoot, typhus and other diseases due to lack of sanitation
>Suicidal mass attacks against machinegun and artillery emplacements
>You could be shot for desertion for simply succumbing to stress
>Then come along the tanks, which, while intimidating have indeterminate reliability, but can still crush the living fuck out of everything

And this is only the western front. Other theatres of war such as Africa were their own shitshows.
>>
>>2630261

What was happening in Africa? You have a great writing style.
>>
Everyone in this thread is wrong. The worst is when we were in tribes and shit. Like without metal weapons. When we had clubs and stone axes. That shit is real brutal
>>
>>2628488
>keeps morale up being near other dudes.
>makes you easier to maneuver.
>harder for cavalry to fuck with
>muskets werent that accurate
They did have skirmisher troops who acted with initiative, took cover and sniped officers though.
>>
>>2630683
The Entente colonies fighting the German ones; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_von_Lettow-Vorbeck

Read about this guy and watch the great war special about him, gives you an idea of what the African front involved.
>>
>>2630261
probably the correct answer
i can't remember a worst conflict than ww1... even if you never managed to fire a shot or even be shot you could come home completely broken just by being exposed to so many shit

and what's funnier is that the whole war was pretty much pointless and served no greater purpose
>>
>>2628478

Disease in anything sub-tropical will be miserable.

Second French war with Madagascar. 6,000 men died. 25 of those were from combat, the rest from disease (with a sprinkling of suicide).
>>
>>2628471
>For most of the history of warfare dudes were killed by fucking swords

I thought they were killed by bacterial disease, dysentry, and diarrhea illnesses?
>>
Vietnam was probably pretty bad.
>>
>>2630868
Lel imagine being a colonial Brit going through the jungles of India with a muzzle loader and no air support or artillery
>>
File: WWI German lancer in gas mask.jpg (40KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
WWI German lancer in gas mask.jpg
40KB, 500x354px
>>
>alp memes
>>
>>
>>2630878
Would that work tho? Wouldn't the elephant go crazy from the sound and vibrations?
>>
>>2630874
Probably also pretty bad.

Brits didn't have to clean out the jungle square metre by square metre though.
>>
>>2630229

How did people fight, propaganda anon?
>>
>>2628504
I read a study last night that looked at this phenomena of the 'Live and Let Live' principle. Essentially, soldiers on both sides had a mutual understanding to be inactive and passive without ever communicating with each other. When German patrols were ordered to go over the trench, British soldiers would ignore them so that they'd get the same treatment when they patrol. This infuriated their battalion officers, but the only method of escalating the violence was through artillery barrage. The attacks were routine so both sides expected it, and there was little animosity about it.
>>
File: 1449368811271.png (12KB, 407x412px) Image search: [Google]
1449368811271.png
12KB, 407x412px
>>2628483
"acted like dicks"
>>
After nearly 50 replies I think we can safely conclude that the shittiest era for fighting was absolutely always.
>>
>>2628488
If one side decided NOT to fight like that, they would have a disadvantage.
>>
>>2630919
How widespread was this behavior?

Sauce?
>>
>>2628504
Goddamn imagine if there had been all female regiments in world war 1 and there were loads of young innocent qt soldiers being sent to the trenches, imagine the misery on their faces as they wade through the the mud, the fear shining in their eyes as they prepare to rush into no man's land, the machine guns firing through their soft tender flesh, listening their helpless whimpers as their bodies splatter into the mud, some of them surviving for hours and trying to drag themselves back to their own trench, their helpless moans signalling the enemy sniper to line up a shot on their head and kill them. Imagine their gorgeous young bodies multilated by trench foot and other horrible wounds, dying from dysentery, thousands of fertile young women dying for nothing, spending their last week's of life in utter misery.
>>
>>2631228
M8...you need some serious help
>>
Being a soldier was pretty shit as long as you were losing.
Imagine being a Roman soldier in Cannae. You can barely move and have to resort to suffocating yourself with dirt in order to die faster. I'd imagine standing in battle against the Huns or Mongols would be shit too from the sheer impotency to do anything about their meme horse archers.
>>
>>2631228
include me in the screencap
>>
>>2631228
Woah nelly
>>
>>2628504
despite the fact that I've heard this song way too many times, I still tear up when I hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMc_UaE3FQ
>>
File: 1490059777829.jpg (25KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1490059777829.jpg
25KB, 321x322px
>>2631228
>>
>>2630223
>spending weeks in a small and smelly pot with a hundred others eating only maggoty bread only to die in horrible agony by scurvy or get blown to pieces if you're lucky.
>>
File: 1491053766086.jpg (135KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
1491053766086.jpg
135KB, 1024x723px
>>2631228
No.
>>
>>2628504
This.
Also they'd have extremely itchy, shit smeared assholes
>>
>>2630191
>and you could always rely on your skill or tactics

If you were a general, maybe
But as a soldier? It was all down to luck
>>
>>2628498
>melee is still effective, so close formations cannot be completely abandoned.
>Officers need to command large numbers of people with no radios; meaning most people must be close enough together to hear their NCO shout or the drummer change beat.
>Close formations are necessary to not get run down by cavalry.
>>
>>2630877
This pic reminds me of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3wgD_zB5w
>>
File: 1489998305268.png (6KB, 366x286px) Image search: [Google]
1489998305268.png
6KB, 366x286px
>>2631228
New fetish acquired
>>
>>2631200
The Sociology of Trench Warfare 1914-18
A. E. Ashworth
The British Journal of Sociology
Vol. 19, No. 4 (Dec., 1968), pp. 407-423

Apparently 6 of 10 veterans indicated some form of this
>>
>>2631228
Nope×∞.
>>
>>2628488
Because the only way you could effectively utilize slow loading, innacurate muskets was by grouping a bunch of soldiers together and firing volleys. That way, if one guy misses, the other hundred guys might hit something to make up for it. Also, when you only have thinks like drums and verbal signals to control a large body of men, it was much easier to do it when they were lumped into tight formation or in lines. Like others said as well, it's a lot easier to ward of cavalry when you can keep your men close and use your bayonets like a pike formation.
>>
>>2631835
*things

Damn autocorrect
>>
>>2631835
Further, if your opponent does not form big blocks of musketmen and instead tries to skirmish, you can just fuckin walk up to him and stab him in the face. His skirmish line will have nowhere near the volume of fire to stop you, and since his line is so sparse he can't fight in melee.
>>
>>2631589
CUTE!
>>
>>2631589
>82nd airborne on the beaches
>>
>>2631901
>looks like we missed the drop zone
>>
>>2631228
holy fucking shit dude
>>
>>2631861
And on top of that, a lot of skirmishes/riflemen did not have provisions for bayonets. I know a few were exceptions like the British with their Baker rifle, bit otherwise you'd be forced to use your gun like a club if you didn't have a sword or something. Hard to fend off a bunch of infantry without bayonets.
>>
>>2630888
most likely
i can understand if they fired some repeating rifles or muzzle-loading carbines but a machine gun is probably too much for a fucking elephant to handle

also, this >>2630878 and this >>2630879 are memepics taken but the ancient to make young people from the future laugh
>>
1740-1870
>>
As a percentage of death ratio, An Lushan.

You had a very high chance of dying. Probably the highest next to the Mongol conquests.

Tang dynasty had a population record of about 52 million and about 9 million households before the rebellion. 1 year after wards, the numbers dropped to 17 million people and about 3 million households, however thats mainly due to the disarray of society and lack of proper records. Hundred years later, the consensus only records about 30 million people and about 5 million households. Total loss estimate range from 20-35 million dead. Mind you, this was in the middle of 8th century.

Now as for a particular battle, there's Battle of Suiyang. 10,000 Tang loyalist being seiged by a 150,000 Yan loyalist

Needless to say, you were forced to canabalize everyone in the city you were defending. Children, wives, servants, weak, old, etc

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

I would assume it would be considered one of the worst way to fight as a soldier, to trade your very humanity.
>>
>>2631228
PUT ME IN THE /r/4chan SCREENCAP
>>
>>2631250
Why?I'm not gonna do any of that shit, I just like to imagine it.
>>
>>2631901
Nijmegen duderino.
C'mon I thought this was a history board.
>>
>>2628483
welcome to the world of big fellas, colonization was the best thing that ever happened.
>>
>>2630778
To dovetail on this anon, The Great War in Africa is a great book on the subject that covers the front in its totality.
>>
>>2630778
It's crazy how the Nazis tried to portray all black people as subhumans when the German's own black Askaris were among the world's finest soldiers
>>
a british solider at passchendaele
a french soldier at verdun
a german soldier at stalingrad
>>
>>2633649
id say both reds and germans at stalingrad.
>>
Probably the US civil war, where soldiers attacked in Napoleonic tight formations and were cut to pieces by the mini ball
>>
>>2631399
>>2631546
>>2631589
>>2631589
>>2631738
>>2631909
>>2631909
If you find this shocking you are a fucking new fag. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying this. I used to literally rub one out to pictures of ww2 casualties as a young preteen then at my sexual awakening I began imagining women in their place and masturbating to that instead.
>>
>>2631228
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>2633775
>tfw fapping to images of dead female soviet conscripts killed in the winter war right now
My degeneracy is unbeatable.
>>
>>2633815
>images

Post some?
>>
>>2633817
This isn't /b/.
Just go to goregrish and browse through the War section, it should be there.
>>
File: 1489919314184.jpg (416KB, 1807x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1489919314184.jpg
416KB, 1807x1384px
>>2630223
Read up on The Baltic Fleet.

It both shows both the horrible conditions of 1900's sailors and Russias hilarious inability to do anything correctly at sea.
>>
>>2628488
Officers had to do it too, and they got sniped.

Respect
>>
>>2630690
outside of precolumbian north america (where they were basically neolithic), there's little evidence of large-scale warfare taking place in the stone age
>>
File: 53119451_p0.jpg (683KB, 800x1135px) Image search: [Google]
53119451_p0.jpg
683KB, 800x1135px
>>2631228
My nig
https://twitter.com/_dutchko/media
>>
>>2630877
thats fucking badass as fuck
>>
>>2631228

>tfw no infantry gf to gut me with a bayonet during a trench raid and to start crying and apologize to me as I bleed to death
>>
>>2630690
fighting among tribals tended to be low stakes affairs which were mostly attempts to intimidate their neighbors through flashy displays. Clashing with weapons occurred but rarely resulted in casualties. These tribes simply couldn't afford to take a lot of losses without being crippled for a generation, so they erred on the side of prudence.

This is by no means universal, certain tribes could be vicious and bloodthirsty (while others could be completely pacifist) but on a whole these societies were simply too busy trying to survive to waste too much time and effort fretting over what their neighbors are doing. It was only when men stopped needing to invest the better part of their day hunting for their next meal that they found time to war with each other.
>>
>>2633885
Why are 4chan all into femdom shit? It's so pathetic.
>>
>>2633965
I never got it either

t. ryona fag
>>
>>2633965
because femdom is CUTE
>>
>>2633965
Were you not paying attention to the perverts up-thread who were masturbating to the thought of anime girls being butchered in war?

you get every kink in 4chan. You'll get used to it eventually, newfriend
>>
>>2634072
Yeah that's me though. I'm not imagining be killed BY them, though. Also not anime girls for fuck's sake, just because of the pictures some other anons posted doesn't mean that.

Seriously though are there any good movies with female soldiers who are shot in killed in battle and you can hear them crying out in pain a lot? Someone told me there was this one french movie but when i watched it it was only like a 10 second scene and even on loop it was no use.
>>
>>2634026
>>2633975
Yeah it's retarded, probably because most on here are beta fucks.
>>
File: 1485638487583.jpg (500KB, 728x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485638487583.jpg
500KB, 728x640px
>>2633859
was not expecting to see Wargame here
Thank you.
>>
>>2634336
seriously though any movie suggestions? preferrably historical.
>>
>>2631228
>yeah, but childbirth sucks tho, so you should pay for my abortions you misogynist.

>who cares if MEN die? Thay started it anyway...

>Ceasar was a woman and rome fell because the men wanted to fuck the visigoths out of boredom, read a book, why dont youuuah.
>>
>>2634606
How is that relevant at all to what I said?
>>
>>2634614
I saw it as an interpretation of young men dying in wars, being slaughtered with impunity, while women stay at home and complain about issues that affect solely them, and doublethink everything as beong solely mens fault.

Basically I imagined you put the cart before the horse in allegorical terms, so I tried to turn it back around to give it context.

Didnt realize it was just some sick guro fapfics until I continued reading down the thread
>>
Stone age, id assume they used hunters as soldiers to fend off other tribes.
>starving as shit, everyone mad at you if you find no food
>watch family and friends eaten alive by predators, stampled over by mamouths
>sleeping on mud, hungry as shit, raw rat meat was not filling at all
>"ooga booga" your war cheif cries
>grab your stone
>7 year old boy runs at you, gotta smash that fuckers head in like 8 or 9 times until he stops moving
>more fuckers come at you pelting you with stones, stabbing with spears, hitting you with blunt stone axes.
>they go off to rape your wife and children, you lay there crippled unable to move and listen to it
>>
I wouldn't say era, but I'd say being in a Shtrafbat (Штpaфбaт) or known as penal battalions, that the USSR fielded after Order No. 227 as a form of punishment.

around 500,000 served in these units, which around 75-80% didn't survive.
there is one memoir of an officer who led one, and that is "Penalty Strike" by Aleksandr Pylcyn, I think it's one of the definitive sources and personal accounts of them. In his memoir he states that his company was ordered to walk across a minefield, which were some of their tasks.

though once they did serve their battle (called 'shedding blood' in this sense) they were allowed to go back to their original units.
>>
>>2628471
Soviets in WWII because you had Nazis coming at you and barrier troops in back who would kill you if you fled. It was like being attacked from both sides.
>>
>>2631313
this. Cannae must have been absolutely hell for a Roman. Surrounded on all sides, packed into a square so tightly that you cannot even raise your shield or gladius. All you can do is wait for your turn to die.
Only person I know escaped from the mass of bodies was Scipio.
>>
>>2634770

I think a few thousand escaped and thousands more captured. Don't let that get in the way of American BLOODY SLAUGHTER AND CARNAGE rhetoric.
>>
File: 1487065406863.jpg (19KB, 138x146px) Image search: [Google]
1487065406863.jpg
19KB, 138x146px
>>2628498
Are there any examples of sieges where the attacker stormed the walls?
>>
>>2630261

It's a "every soldier in the first world war sat in the same trench the entire time except when they attacked machine guns for no reason" episode
>>
>>2631228

This gets 5734789 replies, but the reality of thousands of shockingly young men dying in such circumstances gets barely a second thought.

I guess we are disposable after all.
>>
>>2630830
what are you talking about? It wrecked the 19th century balance of power. Austria, Russia, Turkey all lost their great power status (though Russia made a recovery later) and also reduced German power. Eastern Europe became a bunch of independent states. If the Germans won, they'd have hegemony over continental Europe.
>>
>>2628488
1) Spreading out puts you at risk of being run over by tighter formations and cavalry
2) You can amass a greater amount of firepower. Shooting hundreds of rounds at once can do more damage to the enemy formation and morale than doing it bit by bit
3) It's easier to preserve cohesion, control, morale, etc. and allows for better movement as a unit
>>
>>2628471
>swords
>not spears
WEW lad
>>
>>2631601
They used banners and flags to keep things coordinated. Keeping the infantry coordinated was actually not hard at all, the real issue was the heavy cavalry, because in medieval Europe the heavy cavalry were the elite. Lords, landed gentry and their personal retinues of knights and so forth. Big egos on horses, don't like taking orders and used to thinking for themselves. Real problem of them just charging and doing whatever they want without respect to the commander's strategy.

By comparison, the infantry were fairly easy to direct on the field because as you say they want to be together. Being alone means getting picked off or run down. It was actually pretty safe to be in the big mass of infantry, relatively speaking. As long as you don't break ranks and are near the back of the army you stand a good chance of surviving. Battles where one side gets totally wiped out were rare, most fights end when one side loses its nerve and runs for it. Maybe 10% casualties at worst, more than that would be a pretty bloody battle.
>>
>>2628488

how else were they going to do it?

Light infantry was a thing but not every schlub is good enough to use a Napoleonic era rifle properly (and quickly) or to know about cover and camouflage or skirmish firing

the muskets the regular infantry used were reasonably accurate, but not that accurate, so massed rank fire was the most effective method, you don't need to train guys that much to stand in ranks and fire forwards at the mass of other guys doing the same thing, it was a perfectly reasonable method of warfare for the era
>>
File: 1st womens battalion of death.jpg (219KB, 613x423px) Image search: [Google]
1st womens battalion of death.jpg
219KB, 613x423px
>>2631228
>imagine if there had been all female regiments in world war 1...

There was.

The Russian Women's Battalion of Death fought on the Eastern front towards the end of the war and also ended up defending the Winter Palace when the Bolsheviks overthrew the Kerensky government.
>>
>>2634741
You forgot to mention that, even though they were promised they would be allowed into their old units if they fought well, most of the time they were left to die in the shtrafbat battalion because the Russians couldn't be arsed to send them back.
>>
>>2634626
>>2634863
Yeah I mean that's a fair point but not quite what I am going for. I do find it interesting than there is so much more outrage at women dying than men even though it's happened in equal numbers overall. Just not violently. But actually I used to get erections over people dying violently in movies, male or female, before I had a full sexual awakening. When I "died" in childhood war games I would rub my limp penis against the ground imagining people getting shot in the rest of the battle. It was only when I got older I realized it made me hornier to think about it being women.
>>
>>2634941
Do you know where I can find more information about this?
>>
>>2633819
No I mean like the SFW pictures of war casualties that they show in PG-rated history documentaries on the history channel. At least they did back in the 2000s when history channel actually had historical shit on it.
>>
>>2630261
>You could be shot for desertion for simply succumbing to stress
I'm gonna have to stop you there.
>>
>>2634823
and those soldiers who escaped were promptly exiled to Sicily for bringing so much shame and dishonor upon Rome
>>
>>2635578
https://kansaspress.ku.edu/series/modern-war-studies/978-0-7006-1485-1.html
>>
>>2631420
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok
>>
>>2635927
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg
>>
>>2635953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg
>>
>>2631577
don't forget death by drowning too!
>>
>>2635578
There is an entire movie about it called Battalion(2015)
>>
File: wew.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>2631228
>>
>>2636045
Well, this might keep me busy for a while. Thanks anon.
>>
>>2628471
This era
Drones and smart weapons
You could literally vaporized in 1 second
>>
>>2636225
> You could literally vaporized in 1 second

'Murican education.

Also, you think being instantly vaporized is worse than being stabbed and left to slowly bleed out with your organs everywhere like with 90% of historical battles?
>>
>>2634846
Jerusalem 70
Jerusalem 1187
Constantinople 1453
Vienna 1683

There's plenty more, but those are some famous ones.
>>
>>2636765
Thanks anon
>>
>>2636765
lol jerusalem always gets BTFO
>>
>>2636765

A bunch of Alexander's sieges too. Including the one in India where he was wounded.
>>
File: aerial mine dispenser.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aerial mine dispenser.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2636656
At least in the olden days there was a chance you could simply hide somewhere and wait it off, or play dead.

Now we have swarms of smart explosives that self guide themselves to their targets, scanners that can see people through walls, surveillance drones the size of insects, all manner of NBC goodies, FLIR, and so on. I find the prospect of there being no place to hide from lethal strikes delivered by machines far worse than having that lethal strike be carried out by a blade or arrow delivered by a a fallible person
>>
Stalingrad
>>
>>2638984
Being a slav would be the worst part of that.
>>
File: 1454655171068.png (32KB, 224x353px) Image search: [Google]
1454655171068.png
32KB, 224x353px
>>2631228
>>
>>2628509
Hehe medieval piss bottles
>>
>>2639446
How is that disturbing at all unless you are fresh off the boat from reddit?
>>
>>2640655
Go back to 4chan, faggot.
>>
If life in the battlefield was so horrible why didn't they just desert?
>>
>>2642406
Because when marching too battle you still have a chance off winning, meaning plunder and qts to take home. When you are losing the battle it's too late to desert.
>>
>>2630778

>Paul Lettow

Holy shit.
>>
>>2642574

Frank Herbert really was a hack wasn't he
>>
File: nani.png (407KB, 732x732px) Image search: [Google]
nani.png
407KB, 732x732px
>>2631228
>>
>>2631228
shout out to /r/4chan
>>
>>2631228
this really got my cogs crankin'
>>
>>2628471
i rather be killed by a sword than a bullet, at least you see death coming and you have the experience of letting life go and just give in to the void
>>
purely Psychologically Massada must have been horrible. Just watching that ramp the romans are building inch ever closer to the walls with absolutely nothing that you can do about it. You can understand why they all killed themselves.
>>
>>2634863

One man can Impregnate a thousand women.

Yes you're expendable, get out there and die faggot.
>>
>>2642646
>I would rather die an extremely painful death than a less painful one
You are a fucking moron
>>
>>2642717
and you are a fucking faggot, kill yourself if you think like that
>>
>>2642739
>unironically wanting to die over several days if not weeks with a pain that seeps through your entire body due to infection instead of dying over a few minutes or hours if not instantly during which you will likely not be conscious
I'll repeat myself: You are a fucking moron
>>
>>2642717
>Go to war
>"Boo-hoo i don't like pain"

pussy ass bitch
>>
>>2642759
>going to war because you want to die a painful death
>calling anyone else a pussy
You don't need a war to fucking neck yourself, but you're too pussy to do it.
>>
>>2642717
it depends on where you are stabbed really. The adrenaline from battle can imunize you from pain. I think I saw a liveleak once where some dude stabs a guy to death, then the dead guy's friend attacks the stabber and makes the stabber back off but he hasn't realized that he has been stabbed in the heart himself during the shuffle with the stabber. He checks on his friend for a while then realizes that he has been stabbed and drops dead instantly.
>>
ITT:
>le muskets were le inaccurate meme
Most faggots did not shoot to kill in those times, you know?
Muskets don't just throw a ball somewhere in the general direction you're looking at random, they're decently accurate at the range that combat happened (at the time)
>le dum dums figting with line infantry in napoleonic warfare
Do people unironically think tactics are just random shit that is thrown at the walk to see what sticks?
If that hadn't been the best way to fight with the tools available at the time, it wouldn't have been the way most armies fought at the time
>>
>>2628546
>>what is the gladius
A sidearm
>>
>>2635729

Its true. There were a shit ton of irish and english conscripts that broke down on the battlefield, and were shot for insubordination and/or desertion.
>>
>>2628480
you'd fit in perfectly then
fighting went like this: people fired volleys at each other, first line, second line, third line etc. The end result was an almost continuous barrage of muskets, like a really big machine gun.
The goal was to find an opening in the barrage and advance towards the enemy and execute a bayonet charge when close enough while the enemy can't respond with a volley.
The enemy would rout instantly 99% of the time, even before the charge hit the lines. Then the cavalry rounds up the routing infantry.
This results in a whole lot of manuevering to find the best openings and angles to approach in.
The squares were so big to resist cavalry, but naturally that made them vulnerable to artillery. That's why Napoleon loved cannons so much, his flying battaries were a force to be reconned with.
Everybody pussies out when they see a bloody bayonet charge coming at them. Imagine that.
>>
>>2628488
Shock tactics, resisting cavalry, not getting separated and taken out piecemeal. Other anons have already talked about it.

first formations were of the sumerians dealing with barbarians invading their villages(they weren't mounted initially) so their defense was to stand very closely together and form a spear wall. This way they'd march and push the barbs out of their towns and it was very effective, until the barbarians started riding horses and throwing lassos.
>>
>>2642582
Taking inspiration from history makes you a hack?
>>
>>2633886
They discovered a battlefield with 125 killed individuals (estimated casualties ~1.000) from 1.300 bc in northern Germany. Overall there were estimated ~5.000 combattants at the battlefield. However the remains of the people suggest that there were no swords used in the fight, only arrows and clubs. Shit must have been horrendously brutal.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlachtfeld_im_Tollensetal
>>
Bunker duty in French Indochina was one the shittiest military jobs to ever blight human existence. Every night the smallest bunkers could reasonably expect to be attacked. Fire support was strictly rationed, so the smaller your pillbox the longer you waited on the radio for your turn. Just a little 10-man concrete hole in most cases, pounded all night by enemy fire and death volunteers as they were called. Then in the morning the tank platoon comes by with an ambulance, picks up the bodies, and engineers note the impact marks and direction of attack to ensure that the next season's bunkers are built better. Then night falls and you get hit again, until one morning the ambulance stops by and there's nobody to greet it. A few days pass and a new squad is sent to pour more concrete and continue the ritual. Every night. For years.
>>
>>2628471
>An American frontier solider stationed on the plains during the Civil War.
>Essentially forgotten about because of the war back east.
>Surrounded by thousands of the most brutal tribes in North America.
>Routinely suffer periods of up to six months without resupply or outside contact.
>Living on rationed grain meant for the horses.
>Thank God when you see a supply train on horizon.
>Watch helplessly as supply train is ambushed by several hundred Comanche.
>Just like the last supply train.
>Hear the screams as they're tortured to death.
>Watch them dance over their mutilated corpses.
>Pretend you can't hear when Indians, wearing clothing looted from white settlers, ride up to the fort to call you a faggot.
>>
>>2643157
Indians deserved everything they got.
>>
>>2643247
>hurr how could they kill the invaders!?

this is exactly why western Europe is cucked by irka dirkas
>>
>>2643370
victor can always trash on the losers
that's why we trash on indians
otherwise, you'd being Trudeau
>>
>>2634931
>>2634900
>>2631835
>formations were necessary to make up for the inaccuracy of muskets
>or to "concentrate firepower"
Stop with this meme already.

Formations had everything to do with logistics and nothing to do with accuracy.

Yes, part of what made them disappear was the increased accuracy and firepower of guns, that made it possible for a small squad in a good position to overcome an entire formation, but that does not apply the other way around. Accuracy and firepower did make formations unviable, but vice versa is not true.

What made formations necessary was the ability to easily manipulate such formations. Instead of an army being a mass of difficult to control rabble, formations and lines each were easily controlled and could act independently and with great flexibility. In addition a mass of infantry is good in melee.

If not for these facts, and these only, formations would be senseless: in a skirmish of 100 men in a formation against 100 men in a loose formation, each behind cover if possible, the latter would come out on top, excluding any chance of melee combat.

100 men "concentrating their firepower" on a smaller area does not make up for 100 men shooting at their tight formation.

Add in 1000s of more men and cavalry and a constantly changing situation and critical orders and only then will a formation actually have any merit.
>>
>>2643103
That cant be right Germans in 1300bc werent running around with clubs like cavemen had axes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corded_Ware_culture
>>
>>2643157
Any good movies on the American/Euro settlers wars with the Indians other than dances with wolves?
>>
>>2628475
>>2628498
>>2634846

Assaults fucking sucked. They were not in every siege scenario, but to doubt that they happened much at all is crazy
>>
File: flint arrow wound.jpg (89KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
flint arrow wound.jpg
89KB, 850x638px
>>2643535
It is real. They found wooden clubs that look like baseball bats as well as bronze arrow heads, spears, horse skeletons, and get this... stone arrow heads. You had the higher ups clad in bronze and other decadent armor while the lower soldiers still had stone in their arsenal. Crazy fucking times
>>
>>2643608
sup with the fish?

for disease?
>>
>>2632153
>Yin Ziqi had besieged the city for a long time. The food in the city had run out. The dwellers traded their children to eat and cooked bodies of the dead. Fears were spread and worse situations were expected. At this time, Zhang Xun took his concubine out and killed her in front of his soldiers in order to feed them. He said, "You have been working hard at protecting this city for the country wholeheartedly. Your loyalty is uncompromised despite the long-lasting hunger. Since I can't cut out my own flesh to feed you, how can I keep this woman and just ignore the dangerous situation?" All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh. Afterwards, they caught the women in the city. After the women were run out, they turned to old and young males. 20,000 to 30,000 people were eaten. People always remained loyal.
>After the city was besieged for a long time, at the beginning, the horses were eaten. After horses ran out, they turned to the women, the old, and the young. 30,000 people in total were eaten. People knew their death was close, and nobody rebelled. When the city fell, only 400 people were left.
Jesus
>>
>>2643103
People who use periods instead of commas are literally Satan
>>
>>2628471
China, literally any era.
>>
>>2643128
where can i learn more
>>
>>2643370
Yeah but the difference is we're white so it's okay when we do it.
>>
>>2628509
not all sieges ended in assaults, especially later in history
>>
File: pile_of-human_remains_verdun.jpg (86KB, 600x612px) Image search: [Google]
pile_of-human_remains_verdun.jpg
86KB, 600x612px
>>2628471
WWI
>>
File: iliad.jpg (236KB, 699x801px) Image search: [Google]
iliad.jpg
236KB, 699x801px
>>2628471
>>
>>2644206
This shit seriously makes me horny, imagining all the agony and pain of these people helplessly submitting to the inevitable will of death.

> you will never open fire into a squad of female "dough,boys" charging across open ground toward you, cranking your maxim machine gun fire to bark and crackle, ripping into the grimy young women's bodies and tearing through their soft young innocent flesh,some of them are still virgins who were drafted right from high school, and now they will die having never experienced some idea intercourse. As their bodies pile up your bullets begin to tear into the already fallen corpses, making their asses and thighs jiggle from the impact, the few survivors trapped under the corpses of their comrades, pinned down and left to bleed out, whimpering helplessly as carrion birds gather, pecking at their eyes and exposed thigh muscle, the dead women trapped and utterly vulnerable, their corpses consumed by the hungry vultures and digested to make energy for the birds, the bloated corpses rotting, their bellies bursting from gas buildup and shitting themselves as their bowels loosen in the soothing clutch of death.
>>
>>2644346
You're trying too hard.
>>
>>2644410
Trying too hard at what?
>>
>>2628478
>More died from arrowfire
Got anything to back that up? Because I call bullshit.
>>
>>2643649
To put in perspective, the seige lasted 2 years. With only 400 or so left at the end.

They had no reinforcement either. But that siege slowed down the rebellion momentum and allowed Tang to rebuild its forces.
>>
>>2630874
>Lel imagine being a colonial Brit going through the jungles of India with a muzzle loader and no air support or artillery
Britain never directly invaded India tho. It's the not the same as Vietnam.
>>
>>2642900
>they're decently accurate at the range that combat happened
For the first, maybe first two shots.
>>
>>2631228
>>2634614
>>2635412
>>2644346
>>2644426
Let me guess; you have never had sex or if you did, you did not find it enjoyable in the least.

How old are you?

Need to know for reasons.
>>
>>2630223
Drone warfare.
>>
>>2644173
>americans
>white
>>
>>2644256
>A dramatised work of fiction/myth will be the measure of wound lethality in ancient times

wat
>>
>>2645360
I think it is not so farfetched to assume that a story with hundreds of characters would let you to quite accurately get the approximate lethality of weapons and wounds.
>>
>>2628488
holy fuck, everyone replying to you is retarded. Lines make the soldiers vulnerable to cavalry charges, as they can punch through a thin line. The benefit of lines are againsts artillery, as a cannonball would only take out 3 people when they're in a line

The other formation was squares. These made cavalry your bitch, but a guy with a cannon is gonna fuck your shit up. A bunched up group of soldiers is a prime target for grapeshot, esentially a giant shotgun, which could destroy an entire unit with a couple shots
>>
>>2644173
I unironically hope most of western Europe gets bred out and experiences a series of more terror attacks desu
>>
>>2646027
Me too. Shit is hillarious.
>>
>>2630223
being in the officers command tent
>>
File: 7629349_orig.jpg (76KB, 584x778px) Image search: [Google]
7629349_orig.jpg
76KB, 584x778px
war in central america must have been hell, march through forests that are dangerous enough as it is with all the poisons and jaguars and without some dude jumping out from behind a bush to hack you to death with these broken glass covered clubs
>>
File: 1490851792135.jpg (216KB, 1582x914px) Image search: [Google]
1490851792135.jpg
216KB, 1582x914px
>>2628471
WW1 and WW2

>Very good chance of being killed by artillery before you even see the enemy or reach the frontlines
>Could get strafed or bombed by a plane at any moment
>Forced to make doomed attacks against heavily fortified positions with little or no chance of survival
>You'll get shot by your own if you refuse to go
>Good chance of being physically and mentally ruined by the end of it
>>
File: 1491595841426.jpg (33KB, 229x308px) Image search: [Google]
1491595841426.jpg
33KB, 229x308px
>>2631901
>He doesn't know about Nijmegen
>>
>>2633620
>It's crazy how the Nazis tried to portray all black people as subhumans
Kinda like what everyone else was doing, huh?

>id say both reds and germans at stalingrad.
The Germans got encircled and thousands of them starved or froze to death. The ones who didn't mostly died in captivity.
>>
>>2642653
kikes btfo
>>
>>2646151
kek wtf is this picture? costanza meme calling out from the void of history??
>>
>>2628471
>>2628475
>>2628478
>>2628480
>>2628481
>>2628483
>>2628488
>>2628498
>>2628504
>>2628507
>>2628509
>>2628510
>>2628517
>>2628525
>>2628527
>>2628534
>>2628538
>>2628543
>>2628545
>>2628546
>>2628551
>>2628559
>>2628580
>>2628840
>>2628908
>>2630191
>>2646177
>>2646151
>>2646095
>>2646060
>>2646049
>>2646039
>>2646027
>>2646013
>>2645413
>>2645360
>>2645334
>>2645317
>>2645313
>>2644410
>>2644346
>>2644173
>>2643649
>>2643471

Being a POW is sometimes worse than being a soldier, you morons.

You think those Mexican drug cartels and ISIS are cruel?

Imagine the fate of a German who was captured by Russians whose entire villages and families were wiped out, far away somewhere in the woods.

Or the fate of a Russian partisan who killed the comrade of a German and was captured.

No seriously. Imagine it.
>>
>>2646211
i didnt feel like jerking off again today but if you insist
>>
>>2631228
excuse me?
>>
Eastern front WW2. Probably the worst place to exist in human history.
>>
>>2646216
Did we just get our own /his/ stereotype? An autist that faps to fantasies of little girls dying in historical scenarios?
>>
>>2645317
I am 25 and I did not enjoy my only sexual experiences very much..... why?
>>
>>2647218
Not little girls, you stupid fuck. Adult women.

> you will never be in a close-quarters firefight with a badly-trained female machine gunner, watching her desperate expression as she struggles to keep the heavy gun level with her slender feminine arms, brass casings occasionally glancing off of her and singing her, on the verge of tears as she realizes what a mistake it was to be a soldier, and how hopelessly outclassed she is by you, now that you have her cut off from the rest of her squad, you quick-reload your AK as she is fumbling with a new belt you put two bullets into her thick tender thigh, causing her to drop with a yelp, as you approach her ready to finish her off you shoot several more times, disabling her machine gun, and shooting a gaping hole in her hand as she reaches for her sidearm, then watching as she writhes helplessly in pain, sobbing as she realizes she is about to die, the fear pounding in her chest and ears and completely drowning out all sense of reason, she becomes hysterical from the pain and terror, and you realize that shooting her now would be too easy, so you watch her for a few moments, shooting her other hand when she tries to reach for her gun, then putting a few more rounds into her calves as "punishment," and looking at her face covered in tears, her round blue eyes shining, begging you for mercy, but instead you raise your AK and put a single bullet through her chest, watching her twitch as it shreds her spine and paralyzes her, looking into her still-living eyes as her lungs stop and she is unable to move or breathe or even scream, only to die, utterly at your mercy, as you stare deep into her eyes
>>
>>2647987
"Your only experiences" is a very confusing statement. Is it singular or plural?

Anyway I think I was in the same boat as you but now I've escaped it.
>>
>>2634823
>I think a few thousand escaped and thousands more captured.
life as a slave under Carthage, the nation that despised you - probably a fate worse than death
those who did escape got exiled to Sicily apparently, so there's the choice of joining Scipio to regain your honour, or protecting yourself from a repeat of cannae
>>
>>2631228
Virt, we didnt want you on /tg/, and we dont want you here.

Get the fuck out.
>>
File: masques.jpg (103KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
masques.jpg
103KB, 720x960px
>>2630261

Alright, I'm sick and tired of this meme.

>mfw the BEF was almost entirely volunteer until 1917 and when they started conscripting there were riots
>mfw most soldiers spent a max of 10 days at the front before being were rotated back for long periods of rearline duty.
>mfw most of the time soldiers at the front weren't engaged in combat but doing stupid menial tasks like maintaining trenches and cleaning latrines
>mfw so many British flag officers die at the front lines High Command has to force them to stay in the rear.
>mfw soldiers were usually sent to the rear when they got any sort of disease
>mfw the British only carried out like 10% of the death sentences they passed.
>mfw most armies ended human wave attacks by the end of the war and replaced them with kinetic combined arms warfare that wouldn't be out of place in WWII

Sounds like someone fell for the "war is hell" meme that was pushed by popular writers immediately after the war and filtered into the historiography.
>>
>>2646211
Why did you do that?
>>
>>2648213
how so? explain
>>
>>2634863

I don't think the disgust is at >women dying so much as the fact the dude who posted it is so obviously getting his rocks off on it.

If he posted with the same loving detail about dudes dying making it clear he was jacking it to the thought, people would be disgusted as well.
>>
>>2649068
>where_do_you_think_we_are.tiff
>>
>>2649068
well I did used to jack off over dudes dying before I realized it was much more enjoyable with women.
>>
>>2646211
linking to everyone in a thread should be a lifetime bannable offense
>>
>>2628471
>what was the worst era to be a soldier in?
Hasn't happened yet.
It will be the period just before human soldiers are phased out due to obsolescence
>>
>>2643535
>Corded_Ware_culture
>1300bc

anon you are more than 1000 years off
>>
>>2628471
American Civil War.

Your officers have no idea what to do in the face of rapidly modernizing weapons and will send you to certain death. If you're captured, you'll starve in a concentration camp. And even if you're on the winning side, all you've won is the destruction of the nation by black citizenship and voting rights.
>>
>>2631228
add me in the screenshot too pls
>>
>>2634846
Siege of Kedah. They captured the gate and took it to the capital.
>>
>>2648877
He's just some triggered normalfag
>>
>>2649068
>disgust
More like agreement.
Wish hiroshimoot would bring back /g/, gurochan sucks ass.
>>
>>2642697
Fuck you Lindy
>>
>>2646211
real life is not hollywood or a COD game you fucking imbecile
>>
>>2634846
Not as flashy, but Galbert of Bruges records building ladders out of fucking twigs to attack a few dozen knights holed up inside the castle after killing their count.

They ended up busting a hole in the wall and surprising them at night, though they still managed to hole out inside the tower for another week or so.
>>
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Notes:
Latin phrase is from the Roman poet Horace: “It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country.”
Source: Poems (Viking Press, 1921)
>>
ITT: retards think they know shit but are completely retarded and know nothing

Crazy.
>>
>>2631228
ITIE~ YAMETE GERMANY-KUN! NANDE?
>>
>>2631228
include me pls
>>
File: jordan-smaller.jpg (149KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
jordan-smaller.jpg
149KB, 1024x683px
>>2631228
WEW LAD

you really need to sort youself out
>>
>>2643535
Irish have been using wooden clubs to this very day.
>>
>>2651252
And why is that? There is absolutely nothing wrong with finding death arousing. It is closely linked to domination and conquest both of which are strong aspects of sexuality.
>>
>>2652997
fuckin degenerate
>>
>>2648366
This
>>
File: 1458078935108.jpg (194KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1458078935108.jpg
194KB, 2048x1365px
>>2653009
How? You're telling me this doesn't turn you on at all?

> you will never be pinned down by a female russian sniper who shoots two of your squad mates with her scope mosin before you manage to circle around through some debris out of her sight line and slowly move through the urban wasteland in the cold night, trying to breath as little as possible so the clouds of breath don't catch the light and give away your position, before slowly making your way into the building she is hiding in on a pillow she knitted herself as a younger girl before drawing your knife and slowly stepping up on her and waiting until right after she fires a shot before rushing forward and kicking the rifle from her hand. She tries to turn around but you already have her wrists pinned and you sink your knee into her stomach causing her cough depserately for breath, then sink your knife into her belly, feeling how easily her soft virginal flesh gives way to the cold steel. She starts to scream but your hand goes over her mouth and you draw a red line across her throat with the knife. She thrashes and bites at your hand but you simply throw her to the floor and smash her teeth out with the butt of your Kar98. You kneel over her, straddling her soft hips, feeling the cloth of her sweatpants rubbing against you as she squirms desperately to get free, then sink your knife into her stomach over and over as she screams more, choking on her own teeth, her arms and legs coated in sweat as she thrashes desperately in raw survival instinct. Eventually she stops struggling and her body goes limp. The threat eliminated, your squad moves forward, and you leave the innocent young russian girl behind, now nothing but a corpse, who will be utterly forgotten by everyone but you.
>>
>>2628471
Being a Native in those colonial wars. Like, you have literally no fucking chance.
>>
Roman Soldiers had it rough. Standing in the shield wall, stepping over the dead guy in front of you to take his place, fighting in far away lands like Parthia and Germania. Fuck that.
>>
>>2650122
Wilfred Owen

My nigga
>>
File: shit.the.bed.jpg (20KB, 199x320px) Image search: [Google]
shit.the.bed.jpg
20KB, 199x320px
>>2631228
fucking hell mate.
>>
>>2654499
>not raping her
>>
>>2649268
This, 100%
>>
>>2631228
You must post on /tv/. I watch the walking dead too.
>>
WWI. Shell shock was never a thing until you had soldiers literally spending months in trench holes wondering every day if they'd die.

Medieval conflicts were fairly "quick" or if it was a siege, you at least weren't hearing bombs going over your head every other second.
>>
>>2628504
I read a story in a book (I'm pretty sure it was the Great War by Peter Hart, but I'm not 100%) about some British troops who had just returned to their trench after an attack. One of their comrades was shot while running back, and fell just a couple feet from the trench. He was screaming and moaning in agony for hours before someone had enough, and jumped out to go get him. The soldier was promptly killed by sniper fire. Some time later, another man jumped out yup get the wounded and was also shot. At this point the wounded man called back top the trench, "I'm sorry everyone, the pain is just too much. I can't stop screaming. But please stop sending people out to get me!" Later that night when they had the opportunity, a couple soldiers left the trench to get the man and the other two. They found the wounded man dead with shots in his stomach, and his dust crammed into his mouth. He crammed his fist into his mouth to muffle the screaming so his comrades wouldn't have to listen to him ;_;
>>
>>2656286
Sorry for all the typos, I'm at work and can't really take the time to proofread.
>>
>>2656175
Yeah I post on there sometimes too. It's pretty hot watching the girls getting torn apart by zombies. Like this scene which is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1JcljNvvj4

It just makes me so hard watching the fear in her eyes as the zombies descend on her and rip her apart, listening to her helpless shrieks of agony as she begs a non-existent god for mercy.
>>
>>2656286
Jesus Christ
>>
>>2628471
>For most of the history of warfare dudes were killed by fucking swords.

Nah, mostly diseases and famine.
>>
File: dead_qts (5).jpg (58KB, 743x471px) Image search: [Google]
dead_qts (5).jpg
58KB, 743x471px
>>2656286
Now imagine how much hotter that story would be if it had been women
>>
>>2656286
That was from Robert Graves

>Three men got killed in these attempts: two officers and two men, wounded. In the end his own orderly managed to crawl out to him. Sampson waved him back, saying he was riddled through and not worth rescuing; he sent his apologies to the company for making such a noise. At dusk we all went out to get the wounded, leaving only sentries in the line. The first dead body I came across was Sampson. He had been hit in seventeen places. I found that he had forced his knuckles into his mouth to stop himself crying out and attracting any more men to their death."
>>
>>2658607
Kys my man
>>
>>2658677
Why?
>>
File: Solid Snek.jpg (13KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
Solid Snek.jpg
13KB, 500x259px
>>2628471
all of them
>>
>>2658845
You're pretty clearly defective. Killing yourself is really the only way forward for you.
>>
Battle of cannae would be pretty fucking terrible
>>
>>2654499
Hey there, Dutchko.
Thread posts: 273
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.