[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do we get the name ukraine? i've read some stuff and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

how do we get the name ukraine? i've read some stuff and it says it comes from the military frontier between austria/hungary and the ottomans - vojna krajina - vkrajina
can this be true?
>>
File: New_serbia_map.png (97KB, 1549x704px)
New_serbia_map.png
97KB, 1549x704px
>>
The name comes from Polish "U kresu krainy"(At the end/edge of the Country). Also can be translated as borderland.
>>
>>2621468
It's borderlands cause it's not a real country
>>
>>2621472
>VUKOVAR
OH BOY, DOUBLE PTSD TRIGGERING EDITION
>>
>>2622321
This.

It's just russian buffer zone.
>>
>>2622346
what?
>>
>>2621468
It means "Borderlands". The fact Ukraine is an independent country today is an utter farce. It's like if the Cotswolds gained independence from England.

And the Ukrainian 'language' is just an accent of Russian.
>>
>>2622696
it's same with bosnia and herzegovina, FYROM, montenegro
>>
>>2621468
I take it to mean "the corner", as in "the corner of the Soviet empire".
>>
>>2622717
All Slavic "states" except Russia, Serbia Czech Republic and Poland are just artificial buffer states funded by non-Slavic forces.
>>
>>2622755
what about slovenia, bulgaria and croatia?
what are the main differences between slovakia and czechia?
>>
>>2622665
Vukovar, a city in Croatia near the Serbian border, had a roughly even demographic split.
It was first on the line of fire, it was rekt. But it was also a tank graveyard, because the Yugoslav army thought that driving tanks into a city will make people give up, as they did a few months ago to disperse protests against Milosevic in Serbia.
Key difference was that Vukovar was going to fight, unlike dispersing protesters in Serbia with tanks a la Tiananmen.
It became a brutal fight, and both Serbs and Croats get pretty triggered about it.
>>
>>2622771
>what about slovenia, bulgaria and croatia?

Slovenia and Croatia are buffer states of Catholic Europe towards Serbia, Bulgaria is a buffer state between the Byzantine Empire and Serbia.

>>2622771
>what are the main differences between slovakia and czechia?

Slovakia is the historical buffer state between Hungary and Czech Republic. Slovaks are just Czechs who lived under the Hungarians for 1000 years.
>>
It's from Polish - "u kraja" means at the edge, at the border
It comes from 16th century, and back then the same area was called Wild Field (Dzikie Pola)
>>
>>2623018
Bulgaria is legit as fuck, what are you saying
>Slovaks are just Czechs who lived under the Hungarians for 1000 years
I can forgive you this statement, though I wouldn't call them Czechs
>Slovakia is the historical buffer state between Hungary and Czech Republic
lmao how is that a buffer state in any way? Primary reason for creating Czechoslovakia was large German minority in Czechia, Slovakia was the perfect counterweight.
And before 1920s it was never a buffer state of any kind, in fact after the Turkish invasion it was THE Hungary
>>
>>2621472
Can you post a zoomed out version of that map. Those towns seem to be in weird places.
>>
>>2623018
>Slovenia and Croatia are buffer states of Catholic Europe towards Serbia, Bulgaria is a buffer state between the Byzantine Empire and Serbia.

Wow it's like you're literally talking out of your ass.
>>
>>2622365
Two cups of tea to this gentleman
>>
>>2623258
>Bulgaria is legit as fuck, what are you saying

Bulgaria after becoming Christianized/Slavicized in the 10th century, basically became a cuck of the Byzantines.

>I can forgive you this statement, though I wouldn't call them Czechs

Czech is the older term for Slavs in that region.

>And before 1920s it was never a buffer state of any kind, in fact after the Turkish invasion it was THE Hungary

The Hungarians conquered Slovakia (Moravian Kingdom) in the 10th century and ruled over those Czechs/Slavs for 1000 years treating them as a buffer between themselves (hungarians) and the Czech Kingdom. The separate "Slovak" identity is based on this buffer history.

>>2623326
>Wow it's like you're literally talking out of your ass.

>butthurt slovenian/croatian/bulgarian
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.