[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've noticed that a lot of the ancient greek/roman authors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1491190419992.jpg (442KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491190419992.jpg
442KB, 1920x1080px
I've noticed that a lot of the ancient greek/roman authors who wrote about myths didn't actually believe in them? In that case, why did they find them valuable, and what role did they play in society?
>>
>>2618501
>believe
It is hard to explain ancient "belief" systems to modern people. They didn't believe in it in the same way as many modern people believe in religion. Mythology is a completely distinct thing. They didn't believe in the same way as someone might believe in God today, they believed that the gods existing explained things that went on around them, and just in case they did exist, would try to assuage their emotions and gain their favour by offering them libations and offerings. It's almost like a form of doublethink. They offered something for a community to rally around, to help explain things in a time when it was difficult to understand why shit like earthquakes and volcanos would happen, to allow people to fabricate elaborate backstories for their people, the lands that they lived in and the natural environment around them to give them purpose and to give them comfort.
>>
^This guy explained it rather well. Religion was more like a mix of superstitions, and their own culture. People seemed to have varied on how literal they took it but it seemed as if there was no such thing as "fanaticism". Only the priests did that and it was kind of amusing for the people.

Personally I like how religion was in ancient times compared to the cancer of abrahamic literalism with their rulebooks and commandments. But it appeals to the lowest common denominator since its simple and easy to grasp, as well as most importantly, universal.
>>
>>2618630
Would this apply to Judaism as well?
>>
>>2618630
>Personally I like how religion was in ancient times compared to the cancer of abrahamic literalism with their rulebooks and commandments
Nice to know you know nothing of early Christianity, nor Christianity, just Protestant heresy.
>>
>>2618501
The most important thing to understand about Classical myths is that there was no orthodoxy, i.e. there was no text that was the central authority, the true text to them. Not even the Theogony, Iliad and Odyssey, as they were supplemented or told an alternative account of by later works or contemporary local myths, which all merged together.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.