[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Handful of British soldiers and sepoy mercenaries defeat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Battle-of-plassey.jpg (84KB, 600x468px) Image search: [Google]
Battle-of-plassey.jpg
84KB, 600x468px
>Handful of British soldiers and sepoy mercenaries defeat the Nawab of Bengal's army which are in the thousands
How the fuck does a joint-stock company thousands of miles away from its home country defeat and conquer a rich and established part of the Mughal Empire? These aren't Stone Age natives that the Spanish had disease to kill off as well as the advantage of steel weapons, armor, and guns, but one of the premier Asian powers (albiet not in its prime) in the mid-1700's.
>>
>handful

It was a whole modern army.
>>
>>2617402
At most, the British had something like 3000 soldiers against tens of thousands of Indian troops. To be fair, Mir Jafar's forces didn't participate in the battle but even then Siraj ud-Daulah had more soldiers and artillery (including French gunners).
>>
>>2617402
>modern army
But hundreds of thousands of young men did not die that day for nothing
>>
>>2617455
Yeah only about 500 Indians were killed or wounded while the British only had 72 wounded or dead.
>>
>>2617470
Why has no game been able to simulate war properly
>>
>>2617610

Games can't really simulate anything complex properly. Computers just aren't powerful enough, and neither is our understanding of reality. War has many psychological factors that are hard to model, but even the "simple" stuff like weapons is tricky.

Also, a realistic war game would be a first-person game in which you spend most of your time sitting in a headquarters talking to people and looking at pieces of paper or screens. I'd play such a game, but I think most game makers are afraid that it would have a limited audience, and that people would rather play games where you have a god's eye view and can issue commands that are guaranteed to be followed.

There have been war games that attempted to bring in a more realistic dynamic... three that come to mind are:

1) American Civil War: From Sumter to Appomatox (Interactive Magic, 1996)

2) Sid Meier's Gettysburg (Electronic Arts, 1997)

3) the Close Combat series (Microsoft, 1996-)

These are all top-down god's eye view games, but they attempt to model morale and orders realistically, in that orders are not necessarily followed.

I'm sure there have been others.
>>
>>2617889
Close Combat Series was amazing.
>>
>>2617610
Because war isn't a game
>>
>>2617918
>he thinks the 9 years war wasn't just a game of hot potato
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-04-05 18.59.34.png (428KB, 665x483px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-04-05 18.59.34.png
428KB, 665x483px
mfw
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.