[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pill me on the history of unions in the united states and whether

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Henry_ford_1919.jpg (2MB, 1744x2226px) Image search: [Google]
Henry_ford_1919.jpg
2MB, 1744x2226px
pill me on the history of unions in the united states and whether or not unions were really all that great

I mostly hear about how bad working conditions used to be, but I feel like that's mostly a meme, in that it's greatly exaggerating the minority cases that went wrong and we don't hear about the times it went good

Surely it was not all that bad before unions
>>
>>2616390
Conditions were horrible and unions started forming to deal with that but capitalist factory workers hired Pinkertons to attack and even kill strikers and union workers. Things didn't begin to improve until Teddy Roosevelt's presidency.
>>
>>2616390
My ancestors were Irish-American coal miners. Working conditions were horrendous. People worked long hours and worked with heavy machinery in low lighting. My great-great uncle had fingernails that were cracked and bent, and once got a gash on his head from the tunnel ceiling, leading to him having to have an operation done while lying on his kitchen table. My great grandfather died relatively young from brown lung (lung disease from constantly inhaling coal dust). I'm not that old.
>>
>>2616390
>but I feel like that's mostly a meme
it really isn't, there were a lot more ghastly conditions than good conditions for sure
a majority of people who made a living in the coal industry ended up dying of respiratory disease
shit, my great grandfather was a merchant mariner for Newfoundland for just 5 years during ww2 (was a fisherman/handyman for the rest), and he ended up getting COPD
>>
>>2616390
>but I feel like that's mostly a meme
>Being this much of a bootlicker to the 1%

They didn't give a single fuck about people, Anon. Don't post pictures of Ford as an excuse or argument, he was vastly different from other industry leaders.
>>
>>2616835
>vastly different
>lays off half his workers in the Depression to fend for themselves
He may have paid better but when push came to shove he cared more about his bottom line than the welfare of his workers.
>>
>>2616849
>He may have paid better but when push came to shove he cared more about his bottom line than the welfare of his workers.
there's a difference between treating your employees like shit and not enough people buying your shit to maintain your employee population

ford himself did a relatively decent amount of good for his time, lowered amount of working days in a week, lowered hours i think, offered incentives for employees for purchasing discounted ford products

but when the depression hit, he literally wasn't selling enough to justify the amount of product he was producing
>>
>>2616390
Thought experiment:

if you were an anglo jew who could get away with paying women 1 cent a day because vagina, would you?

If you were an anglo jew who saw another anglo jew get ahead because they were only paying woman 1 cent per day, would you do the same?

Well the early industrial age is filled with penny pinching anglo jews.

Hell they exist even today but unions have stopped them from being complete cunts
>>
Yeah, working conditions were great and unions are evil. Greedy workers demand too much from the hardworking job creators.
>>
Absolutely necessary to maintain a free market
Also pretty sweet in promoting political participation among normies
>>
>>2616859
true, true. I suppose my main point was, though, that many large employers (including Ford I think) set up private unemployment and other such welfare schemes to tide over workers in hard times. However, the Depression showed these to be scams or exaggerated promises.
>>
>>2616849
>it's wrong to care about yourself first
lmao yeah anon, he should have kept the workers and declared bankrupcy, something that not only would ruin him but also leave 100% of his workers unemployed instead of 50%.
>>
>>2617269
>>2616917
i already made my argument clear in this post
>>
>>2616874
reddit
>>
>>2616390
It was called the gilded age because everything looked snazzy and classy till you went down to the docks, rode a horse cab past the smoke stacks, took a hike in the Appalachian mines, or inspected some snownigger farm in the midwest.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.