[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be historically accurate to say that the French Revolution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: StormingBastille.jpg (57KB, 410x323px) Image search: [Google]
StormingBastille.jpg
57KB, 410x323px
Would it be historically accurate to say that the French Revolution only truly ended in 1871?
>>
As accurate as saying American revolution ended in 1865.
>>
There is no true ending. Events aren't objective things so their start and end dates are always tentative
>>
>>2616054
it ends with the 5 republic

alos, there are liberal frenchmen who want a 6 republic claiming that this time, they will get the republic right
>>
no it would not be accurate, but go ahead and say why youd think that
id probably get my exam ended right there after saying such a thing but who knows, maybe a more "open minden" prof could let me reveal how stupid i am
>>
>>2616054
It is a valid statement although the real impactful part of the revolution ended with Napoleon, after him the change was mostly contained within the country

>>2616058
Not a valid comparison, the american revolution was hardly a revolution and reassembled a colonial revolt more than anything else
>>
bonmpo
>>
>>2616054
Yes and no. Yes, because the destruction of the Commune ended once and for all the French Revolutionary tradition of Paris from being a force for political change. In 1792 (establishment of a republic), 1816 (100 days and Napoleon mobilizing Parisian national guard), 1830 (national guard overthrowing the Bourbons), 1848 (national guard and workers giving Louis-Philippe such a spook that he fled when they started to rebel), late 1860s (extensive strike action and agitation that led Napoleon III to start an accelerated liberalization of his government), and 1870/71 (Paris' sole resistance to Prussia after Napoleon III had been defeated, and then the establishment of the Paris Commune against the quasi-royalist republican government in Versailles), the Parisian working class, mostly consisting of highly skilled artisans, had a hand in overthrowing all governments. Only after the Thiers government in Versailles crushed and massacred Communards, dismantled Paris as an autonomous city government (a mayor being directly pointed by the central government from then on), dismantled the national guard (a wellarmed hotbed of radical republicanism and patriotism) and destroyed the landmarks of the French revolution (bastille and other things, I think), did true popular activism and power that checked central government come to an end. From then on, Paris ceased to be a political force and the Third Republic did everything in its power to paper over this legacy. Even if the new government spouted off slogans from the French Revolution, it was all Rhetorical republicanism that had little to no substance of French revolutionary radicalism. The Third Republic, and those that followed for that matter, were bourgeois oligarchic republics which ruled in the name of the people and was little beholden to them.
>>
>>2616978
i take back the bastille part its wrong
>>
>>2616054
Yes, the national guard was disbanded
>>
>>2616978
gonna post some excerpts for anyone interested.
1/2
>>
>>2617020
2/2
>>
>>2617022
1/?
>>
>>2617041
2/?
>>
>>2617046
>>
>>2617064
4/4
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.