[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

While some theists support the teleological argument on the basis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1413858882682.jpg (15KB, 436x480px) Image search: [Google]
1413858882682.jpg
15KB, 436x480px
While some theists support the teleological argument on the basis that there are many 'constants' that must fall within a certain extremely narrow range in order for life to exist in the universe, perhaps this argument actually fails for the following reason:

Why suppose that The Big Bang Theory is like a deck of cards that could have been shuffled differently and turned out another way? Why not think that The Big Bang Theory is more like a gun that shot out the universe in the precise way that it did and there's no other way it could have happened?
>>
Pretty sure explosions are random processes.
>>
>>2614262
True randomness is not by ANY means widely agreed to exist. Determinism is a thing
>>
>>2614276
I guess that settles it then.

/thread
>>
>>2614226
Shuffled 10^123 times just to get the cosmological constant right?

And who's doing the shuffling?
>>
File: 1441530638298.png (7KB, 473x454px) Image search: [Google]
1441530638298.png
7KB, 473x454px
>>2614283
But who is to say that it's like a deck of cards? Why think that these constants could have been another way?
>>
>>2614292
Maybe you're just new to this.

The cosmological constant cannot vary more than 1 part in 10^123 or there would be no life in the universe.

For perspective, there are 10^80 atoms in the universe.

This would be 10^43 times more unlikely than if each atom were a "shuffle".
>>
>>2614226
What is the anthropic priciple
>>
>>2614302
But how do you know the other options are even possible?
>>
>>2614302

How do you know that life cannot exist in other universes, according to other rules?
>>
>>2614433
I don't think this objection works because some of the constants are like what allow there to be atoms at all
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.