[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be Phoenician >invent and spread alphabet >colonize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: Punic-Colonization-2000px.jpg (191KB, 2000x480px) Image search: [Google]
Punic-Colonization-2000px.jpg
191KB, 2000x480px
>Be Phoenician
>invent and spread alphabet
>colonize the Mediterranean before anyone else did it, literally first maritime league ever
>first globalized world ever
>get destroyed and forgotten forever

What a shame
>>
>>2607283
>get destroyed
>forgotten forever

As it should be.
Losers.
>>
>>2607283
>get destroyed

As does everyone eventually.

>and forgotten forever

But... you're talking about them...
>>
File: IMG_2028.jpg (49KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2028.jpg
49KB, 430x600px
>>2607283
Most of the Phoenicians were alright. Just don't gone to Carthago tomorrow.
>>
And then Rome got ruled by a Carthaginian later. Really makes you think.
>>
>>2607467
>he still thinks heads of state are the supreme rulers
A whole apparatus of Romans still had most of the power and say in the Roman government.
>>
>>2607283
How many of those names are in actual Phoenician/Carthaginian?

Just curious.
>>
>>2607899
In Sardinia Calaris might have a Phoenician etymology but that's not agreed upon by scholars, Nora (sharing the same roots as the word Nuraghe) and Sulci are definitely native names, Tharros could've been called Tharshish since there's a Phoenician document in Nora which mention the city of TRSS but it's not clear.

In Sicily, Motya has a Phoenician etymology, but Panormos is a Greek name, whereas its original Phoenician name was Zyz.

In Spain Gades clearly has a Phoenician etymology, originally it was Gadir in Phoenician, Tartessos ( if it existed) could've shared the same roots of Tharros/Tharshish in Sardinia, meaning area rich in silver.
Malaga has Phoenician roots, it was Malaka meaning salt in Phoenician.

In N.Africa Cartahge and Utica are both clearly Phoenician names, meaning respectively New town and Old town, I don't know about the rest of N.Africa
>>
>>2607476
No they didn't, esp. by the Severan dynasty.
>>
>>2607283
>first globalized world

That's the bronze age.
>>
As a quick aside, how phonecian are Lebanese people? I'm half Lebanese and my dad always said that were technically Phoenician and not Arab.

Which is probably true, but I'm sure people from the Levant have some Arab in them
>>
File: 3868-24094.gif (53KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
3868-24094.gif
53KB, 320x240px
>>2607283
>That'll do phoenicia, that'll do
>>
>>2608008
Your dad is right. Move to byblos and marry a native phoenician qt to embolden your maritime heritage.
>>
>>2608026
Honestly I'd love nothing more than to knock up a pure leb girl with a fat ass and a big nose and restore my ancestors dignity
>>
>>2607283
>sexi
>lol
wtf
>>
>>2607899
>>2607987
They forgot "Cartagena" in Spain
>>
>>2608215
They forgot other Phoenician cities in Sicily and Sardinia too
>>
File: hellenic marble bust.jpg (206KB, 800x943px) Image search: [Google]
hellenic marble bust.jpg
206KB, 800x943px
>>2607283
>invent alphabet
wrong, they just never forgot how to write
>colonize med before anyone else
wrong
>first maritime league
wrong
>first globalized world
super wrong, do you know nothing about the bronze age?

the fact that you made a thread about them means that's wrong too
>>
>>2608008
You're not. 636 is year zero for the Middle East, nothing that existed there before that date would continue to exist after it. Every Middle Easterner today is descended from Peninsular Bedouin.
>>
>>2608307
Why don't you prove him wrong by naming who the firsts were for all those? Because right now it looks like you're mumbling "no u" and that's all.
>>
>>2608341
He's just butthurt that the pheonicians streamlined cuneiforms into a working alphabet.
>inb4 muh proto-senaitic alphabet
still got adopted by the phoenicians if true, and was streamlined into a working model. Still the same outcome. Greeks only added vowels later, it was pretty much perfect.
>>
File: cuneiform development.png (49KB, 1573x218px) Image search: [Google]
cuneiform development.png
49KB, 1573x218px
>>2608341
the med was colonized by the sea peoples who coincidentally were also the first maritime league, the first globalized world was the late bronze age eastern Mediterranean civilizations which included the Minoans, Mycenaeans, Hittites, Assyrians, Canaanites, Babylonians, and Egyptians

>>2608376
ok you got me on that one
>>
File: Bronze age Europe.png (116KB, 2100x1525px) Image search: [Google]
Bronze age Europe.png
116KB, 2100x1525px
>>2608468
>The med was first colonized by somebody whose true identity is a mystery
>>
>>2607283
Then how do we know about them?
>>
File: IMG_0306.jpg (291KB, 673x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0306.jpg
291KB, 673x1024px
>>2607283
>be Phoenician
>start western philosophy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_of_Miletus

Why are Phoenicians so underrated, /his/?
>>
>>2608495
stop being autistic you know what he meant, they're just completely ignored by mainstream culture. They're not the only ones though. Only time I ever seen pop culture references to phoenicians or hittites was in fucking asterix.
>>
>>2607283
Which modern European cities were founded by the Phoenicians?
>>
>>2608532
Palermo, Cagliari, Malaga, Gades, Olbia, Sant'Antioco.
>>
>>2608478
nordic bronze age culture is stil the most superior culture
>>
>>2607283
Considering our generation of history buffs universally started with Age of Empires, your claim is a bit dated.
>>
>>2607283

The alphabet was NOT a phnecian invention, they took it from the Egyptians, who used an alphabet as part of their curious tri-form writing system. They DID popularise the idea, tho, but it's really like calling the Indian numerals "Arabic" simply because it was the Arabs who popularised them in the West.
>>
>>2608507
> Be European
>Have your continent named after a Phoenician
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(mythology)
>>
>>2608645
the Egyptians didn't use an alphabet before the Phoenicians. old egyptian is syllabic.
>>
>>2608685

The Egyptians wrote with three classes of symbols, ideograms, syllabics, and consonants. The Phonecians took just the consonants and used them without the other symbols. They weren't even the only people to do this, they were just the ones who happened to pass on the idea to the Greeks, who in turn are responsible for 99% of the actual spreading of the idea more widely.
>>
>>2608645
proto-sinaitic was not at all common across egypt, developed quite late in its history and only on its fringes (hence why it's called sinaitic, as in senai region). It was also fairly convoluted so while it is technically true it was the first proto-alphabet, it's the phoenicians who refined it alongside cuneiform and aramean influence to create their own consonant-only alphabet. It wasn't just a case of copying & repackaging like you make it sound.
>>
File: heiratic adjab.jpg (64KB, 654x734px) Image search: [Google]
heiratic adjab.jpg
64KB, 654x734px
>>2608818

The adjab the phonecians invented is the adjab of the Egyptians. It's not even really changed, just the symbols are rotated. Proto-Sinaltic is just one of the examples of subject people of the Egyptians adopting the Egyptian abjad
>>
>>2608818
There was the Ugaritic alphabet too guys, also older than Phoenician (Ugarit got destroyed in 1180 bc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugaritic_alphabet
>>
>>2608842

No influence beyond itself, much like the Linear A and B of Crete.
>>
>>2608853
Linear A and Linear B weren't alphabet though, they were syllabic scripts, we're talking about the earliest alphabets so I thought I'd post this.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.