[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_i n_Mormonism >While M

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: Mormon-book.jpg (77KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mormon-book.jpg
77KB, 450x300px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Mormonism

>While Mormons use the term omnipotent to describe God, and regard him as the creator, they do not understand him as having absolutely unlimited power, and do not teach that he is the ex nihilo creator of all things.
>This conception differs from the traditional Christian Trinity in several ways, one of which is that Mormonism has not adopted or continued the doctrine that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are of the same substance or being.

Wtf is this heretical shit?
>>
>>2606297
Mormonsism is a meme.
>>
In a properly Catholic, or even Christian, country, Mormons would have been absolutely wiped out by the state, because it literally is heresy.

But the United States is an atheist country, so it's allowed to fester.
>>
>>2606297
Even better, you eventually get to be a god yourself.
>>
>>2606368
>But the United States is a Luciferian country, so it's allowed to fester.
ftfy
God damned masons....
>>
About as big of a departure as Christianity is from Judaism.
>>
>>2606368
>>2606389
>bitching about freedom of religion

Fuck off.
>>
>>2606435
Bro, come here a minute I need to sacrifice you to my God.
>>
>>2606469
>human sacrifice is equivalent to believing God is different than I think

Does your mother know you're this stupid?
>>
>>2606475
I agree human sacrifice is hyperbole but how can what is described in the OP even be considered Christianity anymore?

Doesn't it imply that God isn't omnipotent and didn't create the world?
Isn't this just Gnosticism with extra steps?
>>
>>2606487
They believe Jesus is a divine figure of salvation. So it's sort of Christian. As someone else pointed out, it's a comparable level of departure to Christianity from Judaism. So it's Christian in the same way Christianity is Jewish.

As for the rest of it, it's a fairly peaceful religion that deserves the ability to preach their brand of truth like the others.
>>
>>2606495
that's a crock of shit. we need to resurrect the holy roman empire and put these heretics on trial.
>>
>>2606506
You do realize the irony of making a claim like that when you're in a position where so few people support that kind of move, that it would almost certainly backfire on you if anything like that did happen, right?

Part of the reason we have things like freedom of religion in modern societies is to avoid pointless bullshit like the Hussite wars, it's part of that whole Hobbesian thing where we try to keep that all against all to a minimum.
>>
>>2606297
>Wtf is this heretical shit?
Fuck off, communist.
>>
>>2606495
Fair enough, faith in Christ is the only thing that really matters. Theological differences should come second to brotherhood and charity.
>>
>>2606368
The Mormons were actually exiled twice and during their time in Missouri there was the Mormon extermination order in 1838 that called for the purge of all Mormons and genocide of all that stayed. They fled this into their territory in the wilderness that was originally planned to be an independent kingdom in what was at the time largely ungoverned territory of Spain, but their exodus happened to coincide with the US war with Mexico and when they found gold in newly annexed California after war they ran the railroad through and made them into the state of Utah.

Even still there was almost another purge of the Mormons right before the civil war.
>>
>>2606558
I said Spain when I meant Mexico.
>>
>>2606475
Why do you hate religous freedom anon, don't you understand that I need to sacrifice you or the sun won't come up tomorrow?
Stop being a bigot and let me kill you, its part of my religion and you need to respect that.

In case the point still isn't sinking in, I'm saying "religious freedom" doesn't actually exist, in it's original context it basically just meant that Christians shouldn't be overly anal about doctrinal differences, and we're currently coasting along on cultural inertia based upon a false assumption that will inevitably get challenged and overturned at some point. Most probably once the Christian character of our culture ceases to be the implict standard, and we actually find ourselves in a situation where we have to reconcile blatantly incompatible moral traditions into the same society while somehow not favoring one over the other.
>>
Mormonism is a lot of shit peddled by a damned conman.
>>
>>2606568
>our freedoms aren't absolute
>therefore they don't exist

Yeah, no, you're an infantile dipshit. You are, for the most part, guaranteed your basic freedoms in so far as they don't affect the basic freedoms of others. Them disagreeing on the nature of god does not affect your freedoms, you sacrificing humans affects the basic freedoms of those people.

>b-but what about all these other freedoms and all these edge cases

Basic freedoms, barring extenuating circumstances, idiot. This is part of the project that was first started by Hobbes: trying to keep the all against all of society in check. Try growing up a bit and you'll get the hang of it.

>that end of your post

Religious freedom was guaranteed to Jews, Confucians, Taoists, Buddhists, and Hindus too; it wasn't just Christians. Try to keep up precious.
>>
>>2606586
>basic freedoms
>as if such a thing is a universal concept and not a subjective productive of the religious morality of the society that recognizes them

>you have religious freedom!
>just so long as it doesn't contradict our society's religious morality though.... :3
and you call me infantile

>Religious freedom was guaranteed to Jews, Confucians, Taoists, Buddhists, and Hindus too; it wasn't just Christians
All of which did not exist in large enough numbers within society to challenge the moral authority of the dominant Christian paradigm. It's VERY easy to grant "religious freedom" to groups that don't actually exist in your society in meaningful numbers.
>>
>>2606495
>They believe Jesus is a divine figure of salvation. So it's sort of Christian.
This. Also, it's not like the Trinity was something that Jesus taught, or was even common doctrine in the very early days of the church. It didn't become mainstream doctrine until later.

That being said, the Mormon concept of God is a fairly strange one. In really basic terms, they have a weird nested system of gods who ascend to that status due to righteousness and become the creators of their own worlds. Essentially, Mormons think that they can become gods of their own world after death. The god that they usually talk about (the one that exists in the god-head with Jesus), is referred to them as "Heavenly Father," and he's the god of this world, and was originally a human.
>>
>The telestial kingdom is the lowest of the three degrees of glory. It is believed by Latter-day Saints to correspond to the "glory of the stars" mentioned by the Apostle Paul in the King James Version translation of 1 Corinthians 15:41. There are no known uses of the word "telestial" prior to its use by Joseph Smith.

I had never heard this term before and the idea of Smith just making up new words for his scripture is hilarious.
>>
>>2606635

remember, this all comes from his magical hat tablets that only he was allowed to see
>>
>>2606619
Actually, it's just so long as it doesn't get in the way of us actually conducting a society, but hey, keep reaching, you'll grow up someday.

When you start to accept that there is no such thing as absolute anything in society, you'll start to come to peace with it. But in the meantime, keep being an edgy DOOS VOOLT LARPer; you'll only look that much more retarded to your future self.
>>
Mormons are weird. I mean, it's not a particularly bad religion, so I don't mind, but I wouldn't call them Christian. They're Mormons.
>>
>>2606645
>keep being an edgy DOOS VOOLT LARPer

>I point out that religious freedom isn't an absolute and there's nothing inherently wrong with limiting it, nor with suggesting that it be limited
>clearly this means I am a deus vult LARPer

Sometimes I forget that I'm smarter than at least 90% of all people.
>>
>>2606643
It's like something out of a Myst game.
>>
>>2606669
I need to ask, why do you want to get rid of Mormons, though? I mean, they're weird, but they're harmless.
Don't cite that singular massacre, they had a rightful reason to be scared, people had already tried to destroy them. They just overreacted.
>>
>>2606669
Do you actually pay attention to the conversations you jump into, or are you just keen to spread shit... I mean your opinion anywhere you like?
>>
>>2606368

I always find it cute when some Catholic or Orthodox puts on his serious cap about heresy, what should be done with "cults", etc, as if any of what they say carries any seriousness whatever. As if these are actual, serious categories deserving of real respect, inquiry, and so on, and not just the meaningless autistic LARPing that they really are, and always have been, and always will be.

Cue the very serious, "I feel sorry for you (but not sorry enough that I don't get some schadenfreude at the mental image) warning of the lake of fire, the second death. It is commonly about two or three brief sentences.
>>
>>2606718

Mainline Christians (Catholics, Protestants) hate Mormons for roughly the same reason that Muslims hate Sufis, Sikhs, etc. In each case, the dominant tradition, styled and legitimated as a "religion", which itself sprang forth and radically diverged from previous traditions, set itself up as the final truth. But now some further upstarts "cults" have sprung up, sometimes displaying equal minority courage in themselves, resisting persecution, exactly as the mainstream religions know themselves to have done. Yet the upstarts' beliefs are strange and anathema - /exactly as the established group's beliefs had once been strange and anathema./

What Christianity and Islam hate so much about later offshoots is that these offshoots remind them too much of their own beginnings, which makes them (Christianity and Islam) insecure about their own legitimacy and beliefs. When confronted with the "heresy" or "absurdity" of the younger "cult" tenets, Christians and Muslims with sufficient intelligence cannot help but question their own faith, which musn't happen, so the cult must be destroyed as a defense mechanism to keep the truth at bay. As the murderer and cult leader Charles Manson said of society in general, "They're persecuting a reflection of themselves, what they can't stand to look at in themselves-the truth! They're persecuting themselves-they HATE themselves!"

Cults force religions to entertain, in private thought, the absurdity and the stupidity of the latter's own tenets, and this because there is no difference whatever from a cult to a religion apart from time. That is why religions hate cults so much, and the more closely a cult approximates to a given religion, the more that religion hates that cult, and for the reasons given above.
>>
>>2609148

>no one has even attempted refuting this
>>
File: orgazmo13.jpg (22KB, 404x304px) Image search: [Google]
orgazmo13.jpg
22KB, 404x304px
>Galatians 1:8
>But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

Goodbye now, bye bye then
>>
>>2609148

Feels great to have BTFO of religionists, this hard.
>>
>>2609148
Sikhs aren't an offshoot of Islam.
>>
>>2610986

You might argue this, but it is very tenuous to the point of being academic.

First of all, Sikhism came about strictly after Islam.

Second, Sikhism straddles the geography and culture of Islam and Hinduism.

Third, Sikhism has a squishy-sorta-but-maybe-not-totally monotheism to it.

Put it all together, and what have you functionally got? Why, a strange cousin of Islam, of course! Perhaps culturally closer to Hinduism in many respects, but that's the whole point.

It is EXACTLY this wish to reject valid association between one cult and another which makes the minority cult so hateful to the established majority one, as I've already explained. Like Sufism, Sikhism is a threat to the legitimacy of Islam by its very existence.
>>
>>2606626
Trinity is at least hinted at though.

Joseph Smith just started making up bullshit and getting caught lying about reading hieroglyphs and exploiting his new religion to get ridiculous amounts of pussy
>>
>>2611129
Sikhism is not an offshoot of Islam, you are being stupid.

It was almost certainly a direct response to it and the atrocities that Muslim rulers committed in India, though.
>>
>all the people shitting on mormonism in this thread

jej, the LDS is just a giant social network for exchanging business favors. This is why Utah is such a great place to live. Meanwhile catholics keep mailing all their money to some communist argie living in rome.
>>
>>2613424
Should I become a Mormon? I've been thinking about joining a church, and I have Anglicanism and Mormonism as my top picks. Anglicanism because I'm an Anglo, plus it's respectable, and Mormonism for conservative qts and business.
>>
>>2613424
Yeah and if you live in Utah good luck getting any business deals unless you are Mormon because they only work with each other.
>>
>>2606368
thanks ayatollah
>>
>>2613487
Just like kikes.
>>
>>2613522
Essentially.
>>
>>2613487
not true, they'll also work with freemasons.
>>
File: 1432840082877.jpg (19KB, 478x571px) Image search: [Google]
1432840082877.jpg
19KB, 478x571px
>>2613553
that doesnt change very much of what i said
>>
File: 1488843102879.gif (2MB, 333x194px) Image search: [Google]
1488843102879.gif
2MB, 333x194px
>>2606297
>tfw I read "moron" instead of mormon the first time I learned about thoos guys
Seriously tho, whats up with strange christian cults and America anyway ? In France, we get thoose dumbfuck Geova's witnesses puting ads in mailboxes and knockind at doors but thats about it.
>>
>>2613562
jokes that have been going on way too long, and in the case of mormonism, getting way too much dosh
>>
>>2613503
Shias are the Mormons of Islam
>>
>>2613593
I thought shias were more like catholics.
>>
>>2613562

That's funny, as an Anglo I always kek at the French "Chrétien" as being "cretin".
>>
>>2613604

The various Sunni schools are the catholic equiv, because they have the tradition of a kaliph.
>>
>>2606368
They literally built a state on a desert after getting kicked out.
>>
I love how these catholics and protestants eagerly jump to put down Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses and all those minor groups, as if their beliefs are also ridiculous. Only difference is that Mormon beliefs are particularly retarded because they try to link middle eastern myths into american history, writing absolutely insane shit about jesus coming to america and making america great for the white race. Not to mention they've got that whole persecution complex going, they're pretty crazy and they're known for terrorist activities, hit squads, and other crazy mafia shit like that.
>>
>>2613635
if you admit they're retarded and dangerous then why blame us for jumping down their throats?
>>
>>2613645

Because yours are at least as obviously retarded.
>>
File: 1432749774251.jpg (14KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1432749774251.jpg
14KB, 413x395px
>>2613609
there might be something to dig up there
>>
>>2613659

I'm sure Joseph Smith was having a joke at his credulous followers when he called his holy text "Book of Morons".
>>
>>2606297
>Wtf is this heretical shit?

It's a different gospel about a different Jesus, told to a man by an angel, and therefore accursed.

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
>>
>>2613635
>they're known for terrorist activities, hit squads, and other crazy mafia shit like that.
Source?
>>
>>2613680

That just forbids gospels that contradict what has gone before, which nothing in Moronism does. If you wanted to take that passage literally, then none of Paul's letters nor the Revelation would be in the bible.
>>
File: SgbcngI.jpg (43KB, 700x375px) Image search: [Google]
SgbcngI.jpg
43KB, 700x375px
Mormonism is literally proto Scientology and they believe in lots of insane non christian shit.

The book of mormon is like fan fiction to the trilogy
>>
File: le tip.jpg (373KB, 1368x912px) Image search: [Google]
le tip.jpg
373KB, 1368x912px
>>2613657
>>
>>2613702
Mormonism directly contradicts the bible in both creation, redemption, and eternity.

It's a cult, like Islam.
>>
>>2613702
It was literally Paul who wrote that!

kek

Be accursed; what does that hurt me?
>>
>>2613715
This, plus the CES letter painfully outlines all of the ways in which Joe Smith plagiarized the Book of Mormon from the books he had available to him.

The South Park episode was spot on, as Trey and Matt are ex-Mormons.

Dum dum dum dum dum.
>>
>>2613734
continued revelation bro lmao i makes sense because its god telling us whats right and what we believe not a mere human lmao

>>2613742
I dont even care if borrowed from other sources, its that he has been proven to be a liar many times and his church has on multiple occasions "forgot" to include a lot of his bullshit in their official histories

the prophets, seers, and revelators dont wanna lose those sweet sweet billions
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.