[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Romans have to close the twilight of Hellenism? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: pp.jpg (57KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
pp.jpg
57KB, 597x519px
Why did the Romans have to close the twilight of Hellenism? How did shitty legionaries beat phalangites with their big ass sarissas, something to do with flexibility I'm guessing? Why didn't the Macedonians and other Diadochi states deploy light infantry on their flanks if that was the problem, like hypaspitai?

What were battles between the Seleucids and Rome like?
>>
>>2605486
Phalanx's are shithouse on hills and romans were more manoeuvrable. Also somehow the greeks forgot how to use the phalanx properly with cavalry support etc and just went back to the basic bunch of dudes with spears with no support. The system devolved into a far less effective one.
>>
For some reason the greeks were massive autists that forgot how to wage war and how to do battle after Alexander died
>>
>>2606997
I think it was literally because it was cheaper to do it that way, and for a while just increasing the depth of phalanxes and length of pikes was literally all it took to beat other diadochi neighbours, thus they evolved to rigidly and couldn't adapt without expensive complete overhauls of their military's
>>
>>2607164
Also remember reading that selucius designed cataphracts to take on phalanxes head on by literally just giving them lances longer than the infantry were carrying, I can't imagine how horrendously unwieldy they would be.
He even attached light cavalry to these new units as they were so rigid in themselves they couldn't turn to face countering cavalry
>>
>bunch of upstart happy merchants
>actually posed a threat
>unwashed barbarians that can't into civilization
>basically destroyed your empire
>basin of civilization with a formation said to be unstoppable in ancient world
>complete fucking jobbers

Roman history is fun
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.