[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did the council of Trent prove him right about their being problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 256_org.jpg (229KB, 478x447px) Image search: [Google]
256_org.jpg
229KB, 478x447px
did the council of Trent prove him right about their being problems within the catholic church that needed addressing?
not if he was right in everything or anything close or if he made things spiral out of control
>>
Even before the council of Trent the catholic church agreed with most of his theses. The papacy had studied and researched his theses for about a year and then made a public declaration about how about 60 of his theses were correct and would be accepted by the catholic church, but about 30 of them were heretical and the church asked Luther to rework his view on those theses. Luther then went on to claim that not only are all of his theses are right, but that the catholic church is incorrect as a whole and should be completely demolished and everyone should just follow what he says. I don't believe the catholic church and Luther could have ever seen eye-to-eye and reach a theological agreement as Luther just did not believe that the papacy should exist.
>>
they took steps from being completely horrible to less horrible. The radical splits weren't bridged
>>
>>2599667
Yes, but you didnt have to go full retard to address them. St Dominic and St Francis did it just right.
>>
Yes, the Church agreed that they were very fucked. Yes, the Church agreed that Rome at the time was one of the worst places to be.

However, what Luther said was BEYOND abuses in the Church. He started interpreting Scripture as he saw fit, taking out entire books in the Bible, abandoning his celibacy, calling it "impossible" for man.

He was a very, very bright man while he was an Augustinian monk and still was while he was a Protestant, he was just scrupulous. He loved God, loved Mary, loved prayer, everything. I feel so much pity and sympathy and empathy for him, I really just wish it didn't go down the way it did.
>>
>>2599667

I'm not sure if everything that happened was what Luther wanted. But he got used by the local nobles for sure.
The States and Kingdoms in Europe welcomed the fact that the Church lost control over the masses.

And Luther himself hadn't much control over how the translated bible got spread or promoted.
>>
>>2601932
>I really just wish it didn't go down the way it did.
this

I've been raised protestant and am now looking to see if i want to change any of that.
In the beginnings of Lutheranism they still considered themselves Catholics (just doing it right), and i miss that.
I feel that it would have been best if the RCC just unfucked itself and then all the Protestants would have returned home. Once power plays and money got worked into it, it was over though.
>>
>>2601932
>He started interpreting Scripture as he saw fit, taking out entire books in the Bible, abandoning his celibacy
So what? Religions evolve and change over time.
>>
>>2603890
Catholic church is a joke
Wash muslims feet and add un-inspired books to the bible
>>
>>2603915
we're not all that innocent either.

take Lutherans for instance.
LCMS has it together, but the Church of Sweden needs to be burned to the ground and then salted. They're way worse than anything the RCC has done.
>>
>>2599667

Nay
>>
>>2603902
But what gave him the power to do that
>>
>>2603902
You're headed to hell, I suggest you repent
>>
>>2604734
It's natural instinct for humans to invent and adapt religions, we are an imaginative and inventive species. We have been doing so for thousands of years and will continue to do so probably forever barring some bizarre techno singularity.
>>
File: 1491079775581s.jpg (61KB, 500x597px) Image search: [Google]
1491079775581s.jpg
61KB, 500x597px
>>2604745
>>
>>2604894
confess, and be saved!
>>
>>2604856
Oh so you're an atheist cool, and you also don't know church teaching epic
>>
>>2601932
If he was so bright, why did he misunderstand Aquinas?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.