[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Chiang Kai-Shek the best choice as a leader of the Kuomintang

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Chiang_Kai-shek(蔣中正).jpg (61KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
Chiang_Kai-shek(蔣中正).jpg
61KB, 375x500px
Was Chiang Kai-Shek the best choice as a leader of the Kuomintang or could there have been better? Is there any way he could have salvaged the situation of the ROC or anything that he could've done or not done as leader of the KMT?
>>
Probably not, but the KMT was incredibly corrupt and inefficient regardless and full of petty rivalries and leadership struggles. I'm amazed that it still exists today.
>>
>>2593906
I think someone better was needed. A better general able to crush the warlord menace for good and end banditry, a better administrator and more effective at getting infrastructure improvements and other stuff, someone who'd crack down on corruption that rotted the government and parties from within. In short China needed a Napoleon who could have forged a new nation.
>>
>>2594028
Honeslty, crushing the Warlordism was more of an issue of administration than it was of generalship. Chiang smashed his share of warlords, the problem was that they kept springing back up whenever his army left the area. The KMT in general didn't seem to have the administrative capacity to run all of China, so something is going to fill that vacuum. They needed a Numa, not necessarily a Napoleon.
>>
>>2594072
> Numa
who's this

>not necessarily a Napoleon.
Napoleon was a solid administrator though. he combined good governance/efficiency with military victory.

> The KMT in general didn't seem to have the administrative capacity to run all of China
Well this begs the question of WHY the KMT lacked such an administrative capacity. Was it for lack of bureaucrats? Perhaps he should have brought in foreigners to help train bureacrats in different regions. It might have been unpopular but Chiang did a lot of unpopular stuff and a lot of westerners had his ear anyway. Yuan Shikai also had a lot of American advisers as well.

Or was this administrative failure a symptom of corruption aka bad administrative practices and other things lack of national police force, lack of communications such as railroad and telegraph? Local elites were also a major problem because they tended to control local politics and pursue their own economic and political interests.
>>
>>2594115

>who's this
A (probably mythical) king of Rome who supposedly set up the administration and the laws that the City and later Republic of Rome went by. He's notable in classical history because he's a celebrated king who didn't fight any wars whatsoever, he just focused on things like administration and honoring the gods.

>Napoleon was a solid administrator though. he combined good governance/efficiency with military victory.
Oh, to be sure, and I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't. But the KMT didn't lack for force or even ability to throw it around in the 1920s china. I mean, a Napoleon would be great, but it's kind of overkill.

>Well this begs the question of WHY the KMT lacked such an administrative capacity.
I honestly don't have an answer to that one, and I've at least amateurishly studied the issue for some time.

>
Or was this administrative failure a symptom of corruption aka bad administrative practices and other things lack of national police force, lack of communications such as railroad and telegraph? Local elites were also a major problem because they tended to control local politics and pursue their own economic and political interests.
I mean, you get something like a chicken and an egg problem with questions like this. Yes, local elites dominated things and even had their own armies, but generally, even well before where KMT China was technologically, strong and efficient central governments clamped down on that kind of shit. The Commies did a lot of things terribly badly and inefficiently, but they managed to destroy regionalism to a large extent on more or less the same technological footing as the KMT. Yes, they didn't have a national police force, but I have the feeling that if they tried, it would go the same way as the army, you'd suddenly have dozens of separate sub-groups in between them, nobody really in charge ,and nobody having any real idea how it works.
>>
>>2593906
He was trash and destroyed ROC without obvious reasons.
>>
>>2594150
I appreciate the answer
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.