[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why did muslims have the coolest sounding troop names? >Tabardariyya

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: axe.png (158KB, 713x851px) Image search: [Google]
axe.png
158KB, 713x851px
So why did muslims have the coolest sounding troop names?

>Tabardariyya
>Jannisary
>Mamluk
>Assassin
>Turcopole
>Sipahi
>>
>Dirka Dirka Mohamed Jihad
>Gammala gammala alllaaaaaaaaaah

Yeah, nah.
>>
I prefer Roman troop names. Janissary and mamluk do sound cool though.
>Equites
>Centurion
>Decurion
>Auxilia
>Legate
>>
>>2588909
Indeed, romans are definately up there.

It's sad that during medieval (and later) times there were no cool sounding names for troops in European armies. Everything was just knight, archers, peasant etc.

I can only think of Landsknechts and Tercio as cool sounding troop names, but other than that, it was pretty fucking generic imo.
>>
>>2588921
You do realize I hope that jannissary literally means just "new soldier", taberdariyya "axeman", sipahi "soldier (in persian), etc..
If you spoke turkish first language, you'd consider muslim troop names banal and western ones exotic.
>>
You think it sounds good because it's an exotic foreign language.
I could be describing the anal prolapse your mom is suffering from and it would sound "exotic"
>>
>>2588921
Knight is cool sounding to me. Also swordsman, cavalry, huscarl, hussar, dragoon, lancer, phalangite, legionnaire, hetaroi, etc.

t. non-English speaker
>>
>>2588897
>tabbydiarrhea
>white girls name
>mamluk
>fair enough
>polackroach
>???
these don't sound cool at all
>>
>>2588897
Assassin wasn't actually a troop name, and the word it originates from has pretty negative connotations over the Muslim sphere.

Similarly, the Turcopole is also a Crusader-originated word, to my knowledge.

>>2588954
Most of these are archaic terms in Modern Turkish. Mamluk refers to the state more than anything.

t. turk
>>
File: 1490256468425.jpg (8KB, 248x233px) Image search: [Google]
1490256468425.jpg
8KB, 248x233px
All of those save Assassin sound like Kirby Villains.

Islam is the most Aesthetically displeasing culture
>>
>>2588921
>tagmata
>grenadier
Dunno why, I just like them
>>
>>2590613
Kys any time
>>
assassin wasn't a type of troop
>>
Myth : The word assassin is derived from the word hashish.

It is a common myth that the word assassin comes from the Arabic word haschishin for hashish user.

The story is that al-Hassan ibn-al-Sabbah used hashish to enlist the aid of young men into his private army known as assassins (aschishin - or follower of Hassan). One of the primary sources for this information comes from the writings of Marco Polo who visited the area in 1273, almost 150 years after the reign of Al-Hassan.

There are many conflicting facts and sources for this information.
>>
i like norse ones

huskarl
bersekr
ulfhednar
svinfylking
>>
>>2590613
Kirby has great villains though
>>
>>2594663
>berzerkers
So you're telling me you don't watch lindybeige?
>>
File: sipahi.jpg (441KB, 1010x1325px) Image search: [Google]
sipahi.jpg
441KB, 1010x1325px
>>2588897
They also objectively had the most aesthetically pleasing armor..
Literally the perfect combination of Persian design and Turkic versatility
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.