[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was even the point of axes? They were shit! >not as good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: axe.jpg (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
3KB, 225x225px
What was even the point of axes? They were shit!
>not as good against unarmored opponents as a sword
>not as good against armor as a mace
>can't stab
>shorter than a sword
>everyone who could afford a sword bought it instead of an axe
>even longbowmen had swords as sidearms instead of fucking axes

seriously no one used that shit except for the most desperate times I would rather equip my men with rocks than to give them this fucking thing
>>
Lindybeige
Please
Go
>>
>>2587823
Lets ignore all social context and compare weapons to each other in an unrealistic and ahistorical manner.
>>
>>2587823
>Shield-destroying
>Akshually they were rather long, often polearm long
>Less metal=>cheap
>Smaller area where force is applied=> good penetration against armor
>>
>>2587835
The shield destroying meme was literally started by a fucking video game. Mount and Blade is not the 100% accurate representation of medieval warfare dumb ass if axes were such shield wreckers everyone would use them.
>>
>>2587842
>Mount and Blade is not the 100% accurate representation of medieval warfare
Citation needed
>>
>>2587842
http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_shields.htm
>>
>>2587868
>vikings
>battles

kek they sure encountered a lot of shields when they ''fought'' unarmed farmers and monks
>>
File: franku-bath.png (946KB, 855x741px) Image search: [Google]
franku-bath.png
946KB, 855x741px
>>2587868
>Someone else read Hurstwic

>>2587823
They were cheap. Also, when chainmail was in its prime, it turns out axes were pretty much all that could reliably pierce through it. There's also something to be said for axes being both a popular tool, so poor fuckers could use their felling axes as impromptu weapons, and for anyone who could afford an actual war-axe, swinging that around wouldn't be much different than chopping wood, except your splitting heads instead of logs.

>>2587878
Right, because Vikings were only ever pirates who only ever raided other societies and never fought amongst one another and never ever ever invaded neighboring regions.

We get it. You're sick of the 'Vikings were epic elite warrior dudes!' meme. So is everyone else. Being just as historically illiterate in the opposite direction and spouting the 'snowniggers' meme just makes you look like a dumbass.

Probably bait but I took it anyway.
>>
>>2587894
AXES WERE USED AS FUCKING DILDOS

they were not weapons it's a popular misconception
>>
>>2587894
>Someone else read Hurstwic
Sorry to disapoint you, but I just googled it.
>>
Chopping wood.
>>
>>2587823
Depends on what you consider an axe. I mean yeah, short axes were shit compared to swords, but halberds and glaives were top tier polearms for example.
>>
What surprises me is that nobody thought to make halberds before the 2nd millennium. I mean, combining the advantages of an axe and spear/pike make perfect sense against cavalry charges.
>>
>>2587823
Chopping shit?
>>
>the battle axe
People that hewed wood, also used the axe in war. The battle axe was the favored war implement of Saxons for instants.
>>
>>2587909
My God man your a genius
How haven't we come to this conclusion before
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.