[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw the fucking Danes had a colony in the Caribbean unti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: Dansk_Vestindia.png (20KB, 250x269px) Image search: [Google]
Dansk_Vestindia.png
20KB, 250x269px
>tfw the fucking Danes had a colony in the Caribbean until 1917

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_West_Indies
>>
>>2587093
So what? Britain, France, the United States and the Netherlands have colonies in the Caribbean in 2017.
>>
>>2587100
All of those have a long history of colonization while Denmark is only notable for its possessions in a barren wasteland called Greenland
>>
>>2587118
>while Denmark is only notable for its possessions in a barren wasteland called Greenland
If you scroll down the page and look at the thing that says "Danish Overseas Colonies" you'd find yourself an idiot.
>>
>>2587100
Russia has a huge colony in Asia and nobody even calls it a colony anymore. I think this is peak colonialism.
>>
>>2587118
Hey fuck you man, it was green when we named it. Medieval warm period and all.
Also, it will be green again thanks to global warming, and I imagine the USA will find a way to steal it.
>>
>>2587128
By that logic everything west of Mississippi is American colonial empire.
>>
>>2587149
Spoiler alert: It is.
>>
>>2587149
>a country or area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country.

As long as it still is a "country or an area", that is it has a distinct feeling of being its own thing, and not necessarily a peace of the whole.
So Texas and California, maybe.
>>
File: 1484855216872.jpg (13KB, 386x387px) Image search: [Google]
1484855216872.jpg
13KB, 386x387px
Yeah, it's pretty cool, all of the town names are Danish (aside the newer ones) but it wasn't ever "Danish" most plantation owners were German, Dutch, English or French, while administration (governors, customs, ect) were Danish. When the islands were sold to the US in 1917 the islanders spoke mostly english or negerhollands(dutch creole)

The sale though was absolutely genius, basically, Denmark blackmailed the US into buying the islands for way more than they were worth, or else they would be sold to Germany. The US, not wanting a German military outpost right next to them, forked over the money.

Every 5 years or so, when news gets slow and there aren't any political problems to bitch about, the media begins talking about how the islanders don't feel compensated enough, and how colonialism is bad, that period is right around now actually.
>>
>>2587149
it is. america is a land based empire like russia except i would say american colonization was more politically tidy (with the creation of the state system, but in another sense the "western empire" and the status of its territory as Free of Slave states was a major cause of the Civil War. In other words, the it was a disagreement over how to divide the spoils of Empire and determine its social, political and economic structure) and we either killed or expelled the natives. Russians also settled in large numbers in the east but there were also a fair number of minorities (or majorities in some places) that were not displaced, though they eventually adopted elements of russian culture (the language, the political cultures and what have you).
>>
>>2587906
>in large numbers in the east
in the east of their empire, to be more precise
>>
weren´t the virgin islands danish as well and the danes handed them to the US after a big slave rebellion?
>>
>>2587956
They're the same thing. After the US bought the islands in Op's pic they renamed it the US Virgin Islands.
>>
>>2587093
Yeah, we bought those from Denmark because we were worried that Germany would conquer Denmark and use the islands to attack America.

You have to remember that Germany invaded Denmark twice in the 70 years prior to the purchase and WWI was going on.
>>
How about them Scottish colonies in Panama that the Scots tried to do?

Or New Sweden along the Delaware river?
>>
>>2587131
That's a myth. It was called Greenland so people would think the climate was good and people would move there
>>
>>2587149
It was before we genocided the reds

>>2589316
>using a myth to disprove a myth
Classis /his/
>>
>>2589273
scotts also tried to set up a colony in nova scotia i think (scotia meaning scotland)
>>
>>2589273
Scots literally went in the worst place in central America
>>2587093
I really wish they kept the Nicobar Islands desu
>>
>>2589399
>Scots literally went in the worst place in central America

Especially since the Spanish were already there.
>>
den evige dansken slår til igjen
>>
>>2587149
america is a colonial state
>>
>>2587118
Denmark had colonies in Africa and India as well dumbass.
>>
>>2589382
Yeah Cape Breton still is pretty Gaelic culturally.
>>
File: jkp;uj.jpg (22KB, 428x323px) Image search: [Google]
jkp;uj.jpg
22KB, 428x323px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjouan

>France abolished slavery in then-Ndzuwani in 1899

>1899
>>
>>2589316
The medieval warm period was not a myth. Are you high?
>>
>>2590243
Arabs fault
>>
>>2590243
Dude that's not long, look up Arabian dates
>>
>>2587093
Yeah it's where my great-grandpa was born before moving to America. He was full Dane.
>>
The swedes had Guadeloupe
>>
>>2587093
>70% black

It's amazing how things change in 100 years
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.