[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

During the days of the Roman Empire, were the Romans aware that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Tiberius bust.jpg (26KB, 320x427px) Image search: [Google]
Tiberius bust.jpg
26KB, 320x427px
During the days of the Roman Empire, were the Romans aware that they became a monarchy with Kings and Nobles n shiet, and not a classical republic no longer?

Looking at the Roman Empire, the senate was still around, and the title of its ruler is really that of a supreme military commander whose imperium extends to all of the territories held by Rome.

I'm just wondering whether or not the Romans didn't see any changes to their society at all during the switch to Empire. Like how could a Republican state convince itself to have a Monarch even?
>>
>>2586385
>implying republicans hate nobility
Yes that's why NEW MAN wasn't a title
>>
>>2586385
Also the emperors held multiple offices so only near the end is it solely imperator which means emperor solely
>>
Are you saying they did in fact not know that they wuz kangz?
>>
>>2586481
Our brothas and sistas must only have forgotten because they forgot themselves
>>
>>2586385
After decades of civil war everybody tacitly understood were the result of the republican system being too small for the empire it was governing, Rome eased into the imperial system quietly. Augustus declared his father Caesar had ascended to godhood and become a kind of eternal chairman while he as the First Citizen didn't even have official power for apart from his duties as Pontifex Maximus, chief priest of Rome.

After a couple of decades the unprecedented, for their lifetimes as least, peace and prosperity under the emperors calmed most peoples worries and they stopped playing coy and called the emperor the emperor. The senate continued to act as an outlet for upper class ambition for centuries after it had lost actual power. So anybody who wanted to believe they still lived in a republic could point to the senate in Rome and comfort themselves that it was working.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.