[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in narratology, mainly in the way video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1488956544649.jpg (939KB, 2560x3840px) Image search: [Google]
1488956544649.jpg
939KB, 2560x3840px
I'm interested in narratology, mainly in the way video games an literature (not saying it's similar) approach narrative. Keywords: Gene Wolfe, Virginia Woolf, Undertale, MGS 2 etc.

Now I've looked up linguistics but the whole studyplan is, and I'm not exaggerating

>go and record some local dialect and analyze it (in this case gypsies)
>logic
>anatomy (of the mouth)

etc

So as far as I understand it's only possible to get to narratology after you do 4 years of this crap. Is there a better course to take because frankly I can perhaps take semiotics (though this is also mainly taught on Philosophy post grad) or I can study ANY language and then also go to narratology and the like after that.

But why the hell there isn't a program that teaches this all 4 years? There are so many shit degrees, I'm not looking for a job, I want education regarding this, I already worked at a call centre and similar shit jobs.

If you want to see what I like, read Avatars of Story.
>>
>>2583839
study literature or cultural studies and try to find out which program specialize in what kinds of areas.Inside of linguistics, if anything that would be sociolinguistics (discourse analysis etc.)

linguistics is very diverse as a field which can be frustrating for undergrads who are only interested in one area and have to study a bit of all of them, some of which consist of bogus theories that have no relation whatsoever to reality.

however what you describe are normal parts of any linguistics program
>go and record some local dialect and analyze it
linguistic fieldwork and grammatical description - an important subfield
>logic
some people think they can study meaning in language with a formal logic approach, i think it's useless but it's pretty standard in some dominant schools of semantics - another important subfield
>anatomy of the mouth
this is essential knowledge for any student of linguistics, but especially important for those interested in phonetics - another important subfield
>>
>>2583839
This is really unrelated to linguistics, OP. Try a comparative literature department.
>>
>>2583941
yeah but none of that stuff gives much insight, you're only going to bea poor man's defectologist with that important anatomy of the mouth shit as for logic, it goes without saying that you should be able to support your argument, it's not like you're going to solve complex equations.

as for the fieldwork, stuff like that is nonsensical, you don't need to go to the ghetto in 21st century to know how niggers speak, it's bullshit work akin to sending sociology students to do 'polls'
>>
>>2585210
The reason this all seems useless to you is because it's unrelated to what you're interested in. Why would the contents of a linguistics program be unrelated to what you're interested in? It's because you're not interested in linguistics.

This thread is kind of like someone wondering why they have to get a degree in pure math in order to become a high school history teacher.
>>
>>2585768
thing is, if i'm going to be studying narratology why waste time on half assed anatomy lecture and/or various dialects, it's pointlessly broad especially for a job with no job opportunities (maybe). but then again linguistics does not seem to be the right field for this and in fact it seems that nearly any post-grad offers a similar course but that there is no study program that covers it for its entirety. i mean, linguistics course i looked at covers saussure briefly in year 4.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.