[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why aren't there many comprehensive books about art history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 841855[1].jpg (37KB, 389x486px) Image search: [Google]
841855[1].jpg
37KB, 389x486px
why aren't there many comprehensive books about art history?

in comparison, philosophy has lots of different series about various fields and individual philosophers

you can find dozens of academic books about say, Kant or Aristotle or phenomenology but very little about Rembrandt or Poussin or impressionism

for art, there are a few textbooks for art history as a whole, but that's about as much depth as you can get
>>
File: gggggggg.png (17KB, 748x335px) Image search: [Google]
gggggggg.png
17KB, 748x335px
see what I mean?
>>
File: ffffffffffffffffff.png (17KB, 687x336px) Image search: [Google]
ffffffffffffffffff.png
17KB, 687x336px
and for example there are more books about one philosopher in the same timeframe than there are books about an entire period of art history
>>
>>2583252
what are you smoking OP? maybe you can't access free books on art history, but there is still tons of scholarship on all those things you mention. that said, I think a part of the problem is that a lot of these works are also in french, italian and german, making a lot of scholarship inaccessible to us anglophone normies.
>>
>>2584085
these seem like pretty good evidence to me:

>>2583275
>>2583267

the fact that you couldn't even think of one example of this scholarship says a lot
>>
If you are sincerely interested in impressionism then this Met catalog would be of interest.
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpublications/Origins_of_Impressionism#about_the_title
>>
>>2584432
>the fact that you couldn't even think of one example of this scholarship says a lot
I'm not sure if that was an insult or not... but anyway I'm not trying to get into an argument and I never pretended to know anything about art historical scholarship.
All I'm saying is that there are plenty of art historians out there, but libgen usually favors english books so a lot of international scholarship might be missing. And if you asking for art history books or you want me to provide you a list of scholars to prove my point, I don't mind doing so; it's just that I wouldn't have read any of them.
>>
>>2585366
typing into google i found this in a few seconds
https://dictionaryofarthistorians.org/a.html
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.