[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>guatemala elects Jacobo Arbenz in the 50s >he takes UFCO's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1490693502755.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490693502755.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>guatemala elects Jacobo Arbenz in the 50s
>he takes UFCO's land and gives it to farmers
>country is (surprisingly) more prosperous than ever before, and well on its way to be a non-shithole
>US thinks this is too commie and removes him, then sets up 36 years of consecutive military dictatorships and civil war
>guatemala is now still a third world shithole and is stagnating in human development, poverty, literacy and health

is this what the benefit of US intervention looks like? someone redpill me on arbenz pls
>>
File: 1490631282973.jpg (75KB, 596x470px) Image search: [Google]
1490631282973.jpg
75KB, 596x470px
>fuck with the imperium
>wahhhhh why is the imperium fucking me in the ass
like clockwork
>>
Imperialism never had benevolent intentions. White man's burden my ass. I support imperialism but don't try to spin it as something it never was.
>>
>>2583140
hmm but i thought imperialism was objectively a beneficial thing for the colonized territories???
>>
Arbenz just did a small land reform (nothing revolutionary) and demanded United Fruit to pay taxes
People behind the coup were all United Fruit execs with ties to State Dept
>>
>>2583157
yes but where are the benefits of US intervention??
why is guatemala stagnating in every aspect of human development if capitalism is supposed to lift countries out of poverty?
>>
>>2583172
>Capitalism is supposed to lift countries out of poverty
There have to be poor countries for there to be rich ones anon
>>
>>2583172
>benefits of US intervention
There are none retard, the US pursues its interests and Guatemala got fucked, nothing else.
>>
>>2583183
but muh capitalism raises the standard of living in south east asia and africa and shiiet
why is every other US labor camp country progressing except fot mine? or is that "progress" just a burger propaganda meme?
>>
>>2583201
then why do ameriburgers still insist that their country does nothing but save everyone from being a communist shithole with its magic capitalism and that US interventionism is a good thing?
>>
>>2583209
Because realpolitik is cold as fuck and nobody sees themselves as the bad guys even if they're killing by the millions.
>>
>>2583183
>he believes economy is a zero-sum game

lmao
>>
File: 1483470339545.jpg (20KB, 461x439px) Image search: [Google]
1483470339545.jpg
20KB, 461x439px
>>2583209
Because america fuck yeah
>>
>>2583127
You can't blame the US for what happened after the coup, blame Guatemalans.
>>
>>2583254
>you can't blame the murder on the person who shot you, blame yourself for bleeding out

hm? you do know that for the 36 years following the coup the state was held by US backed dictators, and the war was led with US and israel aid, right?
>>
>>2583127
>he takes UFCO's land and gives it to farmers

You have to specific. He paid for the land but UFCO said that the it cost much more. The fucked up thing is that UFCO said that the land cost 630k previously for tax purposes which UFCO claimed but when Arbenz tried to buy it they bumped the price to 15 mill with help of the US State department.
>>
>>2583209
Because the Cold War wasn't for ideology it was for dominance. Both sides are completely willing to support anything as long as it fucked their rival.
>>
>>2583202
Because capitalism for them is not the same for capitalism for you.

Like we kinda need unstable nations to get resources out for cheap and to make products with them. Like ageing if they can actually refine that shit themselves or God forbid make a finished product with it. We already have to deal with China and the rest of Asia no need to add South America and Africa to it especially if MNC decide to go to the latter because once stability is more uniform they can pull Ireland+Apple 2.0 shit but even cheaper.
>>
>>2583263
>with US and israel aid, right?
Mostly Taiwanese and Israeli aid, actually. In fact, there's a giant fucking statue of Confucius in Guatemala City.in honor of Taiwan.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.