[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news /2016/nov/16/nottingham-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 4256.jpg (76KB, 725x435px) Image search: [Google]
4256.jpg
76KB, 725x435px
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/16/nottingham-academic-on-casual-contract-i-had-more-rights-as-a-binman

> Tell Greg this and he nods: “I had ore rights as a litter-picker than I had as a lecturer on fixed contracts. Because at least I got holidays as a litter-picker.”

>There’s a lot of snobbery in academia,” he says, imagining a faculty drinks and some brogue-wearing professor discovering his background. “That one cutting remark.”

>A few months earlier, he had been writing scholarly papers. Now he was picking up used sanitary pads. Shoppers would see him sweeping away fag-ends and lob theirs right by him to collect. Strangers would call him “scum”.

This article is full of gold. Imagine being one of these academics surrounded by prime Chads and Staceys (Jacks and Olivias) who are on the private school to university fuckfest to investment banking path.
>>
>>2576496
>Strangers would call him “scum”.
What the fuck is wrong with Britain. You do that here, you're liable to get the guy's trash can thrown at you, and rightly so.
>>
>>2576597

I would have the binman who did that to me prosecuted for assault and fired.
>>
>>2576601
Everyone always says that, almost noone ever follows up.
Even if you can find out who the guy was, are you really going to bother going through with a prosecution? Nah mate, you ain't. Besides, it's most likely just your word against his. Short of the can having injured you, he'll just say you tripped on some trash and now you're trying to get a paycheck with a bullshit suit.
>>
>>2576620

It's not exactly hard to locate a public employee.

All you need to do is ring your local council and say "oi I want to complain about that guy you had picking up rubbish in the shopping centre today, he attacked me.". The complaint against him would be dealt with on the balance of probabilities by his employer.

Also given that it was a public place it is highly likely there would be CCTV and independent witness for me to pursue a formal criminal complaint via the police and for his guilt to be established beyond reasonable doubt by the court system.
>>
>>2576726
>given that it was a public place it is highly likely there would be CCTV
Oh right, I forgot Britain is basically one big jail. Thank god most of the rest of the world isn't like that.
>independent witness
Top fucking kek. Like anybody is gonna bother wasting time in court to help you unless it's a serious crime. Especially if they heard you being an ass.
>>
>>2576496
ITT: the people's 4chan was designed for vs working class scum who will get replaced by imported goods in 20 years
>>
This is why I'm not going to pursue a PHD. My master's degree in history will be much more commodifiable in the private sector if I leverage my writing skills, which sucks, because I'd love to go into academia but the idea of writing articles on political philosophy from a cardboard refrigerator box in an alley isn't particularly appealing.

Even as a high school teacher (no PHD needed) I could make 2-3x what an adjunct makes. It's fucked because it's dropping the standards across the board - undergraduates today are barely literate and nobody sujects them to serious academic work.
>>
academia is bullshit. i have friends who are in graduate programs who used to just be normal weirdos and now they're all communists and shit writing apologia for kim jong un. also theory is fucking boring and dumb and literally meaningless. theory doesn't articulate your understanding of reality, it makes it more complicated
>>
>>2576791

Pro tip: don't teach high school history, cunts at that age don't give one full shit about history.

Either go into a different profession (I'm currently a technical writer for a software company) or take the pay cut and work in a university until you can be a full professor.
>>
>>2576802
Yeah, kids don't give a shit about history, but neither do undergraduates, really. The only real option for substantive interaction is teaching graduate classes which are reserved for tenured professors, and we all know tenure is essentially impossible to get.

Right now I think I'm going to go into a different field, like you. I'd like to sustain a basic middle class lifestyle and I figure some mechanized drudgery that involves applying my writing skills is better than something similarly awful but engaged with something I love, history, because watching people ignore stuff so central for basic civic participation and worldliness is like physically painful for me.
>>
>>2576797

This is 100% true, one of my good friends has 2 Masters degrees and a PhD on the way. He literally lives in a fantasy world, has absolutely no concept of life outside a university.

He and his current gfjust just turned 30 and he keeps saying "people are marrying way to Young and having kids way to young".

He literally can't comprehend that 30 years old is time to grow up, because he still lives and works admins adolescents
>>
>>2576797
I agree there are some problems with Foucault-inspired postmodernism infilitrating academia but broadly dismissing philosophy and theory like that is straight up stupid. Furthermore, there are plenty of left and right wing intellectuals in the academy who aren't excluded from credibility merely because you disagree with their assertions.
>>
>>2576816

If you're in the States, seriously lookup Technical Writer positions at software companies. It's a fast growing position because companies are starting to realize developers are to autistic and marketing girls are to retarded to document technical processes.

I'm making 60k a year with a bachelor's in history simply creating docs all day.
>>
>>2576830
Awesome - yeah, I have a few acquiantances who have done this (my brothers friend is a tech writer at google and makes buku bucks) and there are a couple of major companies opening branches in my home city over the next year or so. I think I'll apply to as many positions as I can in these new, yet-to-be staffed, massive corporate entities.

Sucks though, anyone remotely enthusiastic about teaching history is leaving the profession because it's so poorly remunerated even though having a population with a basic education has a shitload of non-quantifiable value.
>>
>>2576852

I'm biding my time here until I have enough experience to work at Google. They do remote employees all the time, and I'd love to work from home.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.