[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to learn Latin and ancient Greek, but I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

I'd like to learn Latin and ancient Greek, but I don't have the money for private lessons and I'm already studying.

Does anybody have any good resources for learning both?
>>
For what purpose?
>>
>>2570334
Classical greek is to modern greek as latin is to italian, spanish, french.

Just thought I'd clear that up.
>>
>>2570362
With a basic knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin you can really up your Jeopardy game.
Latin is also helpful while traveling Europe, you'll recognize the basis of many word s.
>>
>>2570377

So you want to spend a massive amount of time learning a language to get on a tv show once, and for a week trip?
>>
>>2570362
Not op but probably to read untranslated works and to feel a closer connection to those times and civilizations.
>>
Rosetta stone has Latin but not ancient Greek
>>
>>2570458
I think assimil has ancient greek. Anyway /lit/ is more appropriate for this, they have threads on it often.
>>
>>2570426
Nah, I'm not op. I just really enjoy Jeopardy.
>>
>>2570369
>Classical greek is to modern greek as latin is to italian, spanish, french.

Incorrect. Modern Greek is far more similar to Classical Greek than Latin is to Italian. If Aristotle appeared today in modern Athens he could at least make himself understood - albeit rather poorly.
>>
File: Vatican_latin_atm.jpg (165KB, 964x643px) Image search: [Google]
Vatican_latin_atm.jpg
165KB, 964x643px
>extinct language
>official language
>>
>>2570615
if julius caesan appeared in Mexico city tomorrow, he could be understood by the procurator at the delegation to report the mugging of his armor.
>>
>>2570621
That is so FUCKING cool.
>>
>>2570662
If Julius Caesar appeared in Mexico City tomorrow, the only words he could make out among the garbled, butchered Spanish would:

>WE
>WUZ
>AZTECS
>>
>>2570621
*cums*
>>
>>2570621
MiTHC, but with Romans. Make it happen.
>>
>>2570334
>Latin is an extinct language
>Latin is the official language of Vatican City
>>
>>2570334
Ancient Greek. You can read the Gospels, Homer, Pindar, Plato and the great Tragedians in their original glory with Greek, all that Latin opens up to you is Virgil and a few historians.
>>
>>2571250
>all that Latin opens up to you is Virgil and a few historians
You forgot the bible in its intended language
>>
>>2571336
>You forgot the bible in its intended language
He already said Greek.
>>
File: Ejemplo_metodo _Lingua_latina.jpg (51KB, 354x443px) Image search: [Google]
Ejemplo_metodo _Lingua_latina.jpg
51KB, 354x443px
About 6 months ago, I took the advice of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc to self-study latin. He strongly recommends the Lingua Latina per se Illustrata series, and I'm about 3/4 through the first one.

The book is written entirely in Latin, and it's designed so that you can study it without the need for external translations. New words and grammar are introduced in context, with the aid of illustrations and marginal notes.

I've made good progress, but it's not easy. I found the whole series on the pirate bay.

The same guy has a video about resources for Ancient Greek, but I have no idea how good they are.
>>
>>2571383
I remeber this one! It was a bliss to read.
>>
>>2571383
That text is pretty cute
>>
>>2571383
>Lingua Latina per se Illustrata
Didn't know about that one. Looks interesting, I'll read it.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.