[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are the renaissance and enlightenment the same movement? do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

are the renaissance and enlightenment the same movement?

do they overlap? or is there a gap between them? (and if so what is that period called, and what seperates those three eras)?
>>
>>>/google/
this is a new low
>>
>>2564543
>is there a gap between them?
Yes, it's called the Muslim Period.
>>
>>2564552
I know what the periods are.

I am asking this question at a somewhat higher level.

there's no clear starting and finishing point for the renaissance or starting point for the enlightenment
>>
>>2564570
Oh there is, the italian wars ended the italian renaissance. Next question.
>>
>>2564577
oh, so the renaissance is strictly confined to Italy?

could they not read latin anywhere else?
>>
>>2564585
Protestant Reformation
Also after the italian renaissance the culture of europe had been booted up again, that's why it's so relevant. It's just that a lot of religious strife followed and also absolutism
>>
>>2564594
sounds to me as if you are talking nonsense
>>
>>2564600
You owe me an explanation for that sentiment.
>>
>>2564577
>Though today perhaps best known for Italian Renaissance art and architecture, the period saw major achievements in literature, music, philosophy, and other arts, as well as science. Italy became the recognized European leader in all these areas by the late 15th century, and to varying degrees retained this lead until about 1600.

The wars didn't do anything. It has more to do with the fact that they got completely cockblocked during the Age of Exploration and couldn't benefit from the new trade routes that opened as much as the rest of Western Europe.
>>
>>2564631
Sacking of rome was a big deal, and the power just shifted away. The stronger centralisation of large bordering kingdoms indeed removed italy's prominence.
It's just that people like to put dates on things, like the end of the middle ages being 1453
fuck I'm tired though, it's 3:30Am
>>
>>2564645
How was power relevant at all in this question? The Renaissance is about achievement in intellectual fields mostly. The economy of the Italian city-states took a major blow mostly from not being able to participate in the Age of Exploration and therefore having colonies and stuff, not from the wars.
>>
>>2564668
more like the expanding power centres attracted merchants and bankers, leaving the italian in the cold. That happened first.
>>
>>2564683
>more like the expanding power centres attracted merchants and bankers

What do you think Genoa and Venice were doing through their history? They traded with the stronger powers of the time and profited from it.
>>
>>2564704
Venice didn't decline because of colonialism, rather, because of portugal's new trade route
>>
>>2564729
That's what I said. Italian city-states got cucked out of the new trade routes and from establishing colonies. Iberians blocked their route to the Atlantic and Ottomans blocked their route to Africa and India.
>>
It's a shame nobody told Monteverdi, Galileo or Caravaggio that the Italian Renaissance ended in the early 16th century...
>>
>>2564756
The Ottomans didn't block anything, they happily traded with the venetians but started absorbing their clay when they became less useful because of the new traderoutes dominating
>>2564757
Truly tis, but it's true that italian dominace in the arts was on its way out
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.