[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were crime and murder rates like at any given point in Medieval

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

What were crime and murder rates like at any given point in Medieval Europe?

I read somewhere that they were roughly Detroit-ish when it comes to homicide, give or take 10/100k
>>
File: Untitled.png (53KB, 971x629px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
53KB, 971x629px
>>
>>2559703
http://www.vrc.crim.cam.ac.uk/vrcresearch/paperdownload/manuel-eisner-historical-trends-in-violence.pdf
Looks like the study for the earlier data if anybody else wanted to read through it.
>>
>>2559696
It's not strictly murders but
I recall during the Hundred Years War that displaced soldiers resorted to brigandage and ran amok in the countryside looting anything they coould.

Apparently that plus the plague meant that entire villages were abandoned and harvests were not maintained due to manpower shortages.

On the flip side such a decimation of the population meant that metal coinage was more valuable because there were more fortunes to be split among less human beings.
>>
File: 1451839083966.png (22KB, 325x308px) Image search: [Google]
1451839083966.png
22KB, 325x308px
>>2559723
>In two of the 145 instances of homicide recorded in the London eyre court rolls of 1278, the quarrel broke out after a game of chess.
>>
>>2559696
For murder? 30-110 per 100k for the 14th century, depending where you are in Europe. Then Europe is big, the medieval is long, and crime rates (and the definitions of crime) fluctuated considerably over time and distance.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (66KB, 534x576px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
66KB, 534x576px
>>2559757
30-100 sounds pretty high
>>
>>2559763
just got some piece meal data, Amsterdam had 47 in the mid 15th century, Oxford had 110 in the 1340s. From what I saw murder rate is give or take 10 times as high during the late medieval in western Europe compared to today.
>>
I have to imagine the actual murder rate was much higher than the recorded murder rate. If somebody gets killed by bandits and dumped in the woods, who is to say they didn't just skip town? For that matter, who cares if you kill some bandits?
>>
>>2559696
Depends of the place, depends of the time.

Generally, violence was accepted in the medieval times everytime it was a question of honor. Judges were really lax about condemning murderers, if these murders were commited to avenge a personnal vendetta ; Yet, priests often tried to undermine that. In France, for instance, banishment was a common sentence for a man who slept with another guy's wife, because it's better than him being stabbed by the cuck.

Of course, the XIIIth Century where things were relatively peaceful has nothing to do with other eras, especially with the coming of the Black Plague and the common rape/pillage commited by armed bands during the HYW.
It also depends of the local lord, or the local mayor if you live in a city. Some were harsh in maintaining orders, others not so much.
>>
>>2559781
I was more meaning the lower bound of 30 seemed high. But yeah, massive order of magnitude level drop between then and now
>>
>>2559763
about average for brazil
>>
File: 4417207861746110.jpg (93KB, 1536x659px) Image search: [Google]
4417207861746110.jpg
93KB, 1536x659px
>>2559763
>>
>>2559822
>yes that graphic is from Pinker, so use with a grain of salt.
>>
>>2559696
I'd imagine it would be way worse, considering people could get away with murder a lot easier back then.
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (51KB, 582x313px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
51KB, 582x313px
égalité
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (202KB, 1076x888px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
202KB, 1076x888px
these were probably the best charts out of the eisner study >>2559723 overall averages and the really wide ranges that were being averages.
>>
So how effective was investigations back then? Say you're a traveling merchant (they say salesmen develop sociopathic tendencies), you murder someone for whatever reason but your vocation gives you a cover story. Also nobody suspects you had any ties or beef with said victim. How easy would this be?

Or say you're a commoner who occasionally does banditry and highway robbery. You hide your loot very carefully while living as humble law-abiding peasant or town-dweller; how do you get caught?
>>
Medieval Europeans were way more casual about violence compared to modern europeans
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.