[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We are all familliar with the myth of plump women being attractive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: bv-06-624x504.jpg (123KB, 624x504px) Image search: [Google]
bv-06-624x504.jpg
123KB, 624x504px
We are all familliar with the myth of plump women being attractive in the Renaissance period. Paints from the era depict plump and pale women as the ideal of beauty.

Biologically this seems impossible, but i cant find credible sources to disprove or prove this myth in a way that satisfies me. Plump/overweight women being thought as more attractive than fit (not size zero skeletons mind you) doesnt make sense to me in ANY era (not that they are ugly - but just not as attractive to the average male as fit women). Maybe they were thought as more prestigious, maybe the clothing at the time was less forgiving to plump women than today. Maybe it was a fetish of Renaissance painters.

It will be great if anyone could shed any light on the matter. This subject is loaded with too many wishful thinking for it to make any sense without credible sources.
>>
>>2555910
>Biologically this seems impossible,

Well if it's true and "seems impossible," then I guess you don't understand biology as well as you think you do.
>>
File: Ghent_Altarpiece_-_Eve.jpg (1009KB, 533x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Ghent_Altarpiece_-_Eve.jpg
1009KB, 533x2560px
>>
Most of the women depicted by Renaissance era painters were generally women of the nobility or landed gentry. If one was able to spend their money on such a frivolity then it stands to reason that they were among the wealthier members of Renaissance society. Now you have to remember that noble/rich families of the time commissioned such works not just for their own egos but also as a display of their family's prestige and wealth. These paintings would be displayed in their villas and palaces for guests and servants to view and presented an idealized version of the person and their family. As part of this display women and many men too were portrayed as being rather plump, though not outright overweight, not necessarily because it was considered attractive per se, but because it demonstrated that they weren't lacking in food and, by extension, wealth.
>>
>>2555910
You probably meant Baroque. Anyway, as far as I know, Rubens complained in some of his letters that he couldn't find thinner models.
>>
plump women are still attractive
overweight not so much

as you grow older you aquire a taste for curves, not for uncontrolled flab though
>>
>he can't understand that people in different times and cultures think differently
You are literally retarded
>>
>>2555940
>>
>>2555910
>emperical evidence doesn't fit my narrativ
>help me selectively pick facts

This thread belongs in /pol/
>>
>>2555940
Yeah when I think of plump women in art I can only think of Rubens. I can't think of any other examples but plenty of counter-examples like Titian.
>>
What exactly is "biologically impossible" about it?
>>
>>2555910
If by plump you mean thiccc, then yeah thic girls are very biologically attractive because they show strong signs of fertility. Way moreso than skinny or even "fit" girls. If by plump, you mean whales, then no, that was never a norm.
>>
>>2555910
All these girls are thic, not fat all by; especially by today's standards. Girls with very healthy amounts of body fat. Completely normal. They're anywhere near sjw fatties.
>>
Throughout history l, plumpness in both men and women was a sign of health, wealth and therefore afluence; anddl therefore attractiveness. Hence they were painted and desired to be painted ad such. Plain and simple.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.