[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it mean to be smart? Who sets the standard for intelligence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

What does it mean to be smart? Who sets the standard for intelligence in society? A century ago a graduate from one of the top European universities could debate philosophy, calculate trajectories of particles, or just as easily set a splint or injury. I go to a decent private school for engineering, and to me it looks like the only things students today (myself included) are good at is dressing nice, talking to other rich kids, and listening to an old boring phd read off a fucking powerpoint slide. Am I wrong?
>>
>>2546569
>A century ago a graduate from one of the top European universities could debate philosophy, calculate trajectories of particles, or just as easily set a splint or injury.
Top fucking kek, that's retarded. Universtity studies were never at any point anywhere near as wide reaching as you think they were.
A century ago on average, you'd pretty much have people studying law, engineering, medicine, letters (basically a beginning of liberal arts in general and then a specific subject to focus on) or sciences (same as letters but with sciences). The first three would basically be specialized monkeys with some social graces imparted by their previous education and all the university socializing. The latter two would be academics of no real use outside their university campus.
Sounds familiar?
>>
>>2546569
Bell curve, IQ tests and standard deviation percentile cut-offs.
>>
>>2546637
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that "education" has shifted more towards grooming and networking oneself among rich white kids and muh diversity sjw blacks/spics. Society today values censoring and shilled opinions, and you can't really argue anything contrary to popular opinion without being ridiculed. Surely there was a time when real creativity and intelligence were valued?
>>
Specialization has been a constant in man's history from the beginning. The Renaissance Man is an EXCEPTION, not a RULE.
>>
>>2546667

Jesus you're a faggot. Get off of 4chan for once you retarded neckbeard.
>>
>>2546667
>education has shifted more towards grooming and networking oneself among rich white kids and muh diversity sjw blacks/spics
Top kek, you're quite naive. It's always been that way, even more so in the past when there were all sorts of thoroughly legal and socially accepted ways to discriminate against uninfluential newcomers. Hell it wasn't even 200 years ago that catholics and jews couldn't go to oxbridge.

>Surely there was a time when real creativity and intelligence were valued?
On its own? Fuck no. Obviously.
Afterall if you can't interact with society how can you expect everyone else to take notice of you?
>>
>>2546683
>tfw keep trying to btfo this shillary but keep getting blocked for spam it seems the jews are strong with this one
>>
>>2546569
>Who sets the standard for intelligence in society?

IQ for society. It's almost impossible to reliably measure that shit on an individual level outside obvious defects.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.