[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did MENA pick up so many prohibitions? >Egyptians ban

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: muhammad.jpg (57KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
muhammad.jpg
57KB, 640x482px
How did MENA pick up so many prohibitions?

>Egyptians ban pigs
>Judaism bans women's hair, shellfish, and drawing pictures of God
>Islam bans alcohol, women's anything, and drawing pictures of just about anyone
>Berbers put veils on the men instead of the women to shake things up
>>
>>2528621
Alcohol is particularly intriguing. Was Muhammad just SJWing? It seems he genuinely believed in prohibition, and slowly introduced it to his followers.

Still, there has to be a socioeconomic reason for the been.
>>
Weird rules make religions seem more legit. No, really. Not even fedora. Liberal churches lose a lot of members to more conservative ones because the believe and do anything you want attitude includes not believing anything at all.
>>
I read somewhere that alcohol is supposed to be a tier below "100% forbidden" and more along the lines of "discouraged" in traditional Islamic orthodoxy and that hardcore prohibition against it in muslim societies only started in the last 100 years. I dunno how true that is.
>>
>>2528657
Wahhabism is one hell of a drug.
>>
>>2528657
It's not.

But it's interesting how the ban is introduced in the Qur'an. It starts by banning being drunk during prayer, then it discourages drinking alcohol in general, and it's only towards the end that the absolute ban is imposed.

That's what your friend was probably talking about.
>>
>>2528638
He banned it because people were showing up drunk to prayer. Eventually they lost a big battle because everyone was drunk, hence when that revelation came. It started off okay, then became banned during prayer, and after losing that battle he said fuck it and banned it entirely.
>>
>>2528657

False. It has always been seen as bad. Certain sects ignored the prohibitive parts and go with "there is some bad and good in it", but generally intoxicants of all kinds were banned, and not just the last 100 years. That has almost always outside of a few sects been forbidden because from a scriptural standpoint, there is little to no ability to weasel out and say it isn't banned in the same way you can't weasel out of pork being banned. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to justify it if you know even the most basic information on Islam.
>>
>>2528656
It makes sense when you think about it. Every other facet of our lives has rules. People can't breathe underwater, what goes up comes back down, etc etc. Any religion that offers a positive afterlife with no strings attached in this life kinda flies in the face of all that.
>>
>>2528683
Turks seemed to enjoy their liquor, though.
>>
>>2528694

So does Dubai and other Arab areas. They simply don't follow what their religion says. Iranians also made 99% of the Islamic figures you see because their culture had a long history of art and just said "fuck off with no graven images". That happens. But according to Islam it is bad and they shouldn't be doing it.
>>
>>2528694
and the whole ME seems to enjoy khat very much.
>>
>>2528700
No I'm just saying the Ottomans had a history of distilling their own liquor. Alcohol itself is supposed to have Arabic etymological roots and supposedly the first high proof alcohols were distilled in Baghdad (idk if they were for consumption)
>>
>>2528713
>Baghdad
Not an Arabic city for a long time.
>>
>>2528674
Fucking kek
>>
>>2528621
The thing that makes MENA different from most religions is an obsessive interest in the purity of the laity. Hence the large number of taboos.
>>
>>2528713

I don't know if Ottomans did or not, or who was doing it. Point in that in most of Islam it was forbidden and has been since the beginning.

And the alcohol in Baghdad was probably not made during the Islamic era or for consumption.

Secularized Muslims will sometimes drink, and obviously there is always a black market because people are people.

And I wouldn't say Ottomans are the best example of a Muslim state anyway given it was their values that led to Wahabi philosophy as a backlash. The Muslim world was secularizing a lot at that time, so it isn't a good indication of Islam. Oddly enough, Wahabi ideals are what Mohammad practiced and preached. So, that right there would be the Islam you'd wanna look at.
>>
>>2528674
That's not all. When people would show up drunk in the prayers he just banned them from coming dunk. He banned it completely when his uncle was drunk and started talking shit about him and how his family were his family's servants and something like this so he banned it
>>
>>2528758
No. Read the revelational circumstances behind the alcohol being banned. It was because they all died drunk in battle.

The uncle trash talk led to the surah of Abu Lahab where he curses him and his family. Mohammad got so butthurt he had to officially memorialize it in the Quran.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.