[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>a tree is both a tree and not a tree >what is the sound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: photo-759x500.jpg (165KB, 759x500px) Image search: [Google]
photo-759x500.jpg
165KB, 759x500px
>a tree is both a tree and not a tree
>what is the sound of one hand clapping
>water is soft and hard

Is there any eastern philosophy that isn't full of this contradictory nonsense?
>>
>>2525029
Water is soft and hard, it can be fluid and soft or frozen and hard. If you hit or fall into water at a high velocity its surface the experience will be similar to hitting a rock wall
>>
File: trinny.png (10KB, 310x278px) Image search: [Google]
trinny.png
10KB, 310x278px
>>2525029
>Is there any eastern philosophy that isn't full of this contradictory nonsense?
>Water is soft and hard, it can be fluid and soft or frozen and hard
Why do we pretend this is an Eastern problem?
>>
>>2525079
They were trying to solve a logical paradox, they weren't introducing a logical paradox.

>The nature of things is to have no nature; it is their non-nature that is their nature. For they have only one nature: no-nature.
- Buddhist philosopher Nagarjuna
>>
>>2525175
>The nature of things is to have no nature; it is their non-nature that is their nature. For they have only one nature: no-nature.
This doesn't seem that bad to me. It's not that a chair has an inherent "chair nature" sitting in the realm of ideas as the ideal form of a chair. The term "chair" is just a convenient shorthand for describing a particular collection of smaller objects working as a system, which are themselves working as another system, etc down until whatever the most fundamental "thing" is, which is barely comprehensible to the human mind. It'a convenient to say that "things" have a "nature", but it is just that, a convenience, which should not be confused for reality.
>>
>>2525029
I don't know why people pretend there is something deep and profound about such things. I guess they are afraid to look less "wise" than their peers. It's just emperor's new clothes.
>>
>>2525210
I like where this is going but it's hard to dismiss the claim of forms by calling it a "convenience."

Why does this "convenience" arise the way that it does, and why does it identifying it abstractly produce a unified metaphysic?

>>2525029
imo Hinduism and especially Buddhism lead to the understanding that the infinite reduction/ emergence of "experience of being" and "contents of said experienced being" are not causally linked but wholly reflective.

Paradox arises when prioritizing one over the other, and a central nothingness/ wholeness arises when focused on the reflection (aka meditation, which is why they got this so right without the use of a skeptic approach to the structure and metastructure of the contents themselves, which lead to the dismissal of experience itself).
>>
>>2525175
>that quote

Sounds like an early attempt at expressing nominalism.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.