[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did black people & white people ever really interact in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1920s_car_wreck.jpg (125KB, 800x635px) Image search: [Google]
1920s_car_wreck.jpg
125KB, 800x635px
Did black people & white people ever really interact in the Northern & Western U.S. prior to the Civil Rights movement?

Would you ever have had a middle class black family live among middle class white people back then, or was that sort of thing absolutely 100% unheard of?

I guess by "white people" I mean assimilated WASP types (not "ethnic" immigrants like Irish/Italians/etc.)
>>
>>2523881
>WASP
>an informal, sometimes disparaging term[1] for a closed social group of high-status and influential white Americans of English Protestant ancestry. The term is also sometimes applied to those of Scottish Protestant, and Irish Protestant ancestry. The term applies to a group who control disproportionate financial, political and social power in the United States.
People don't understand one thing about WASPs, the W didn't originally stand for "white" but for "wealthy". It's an economic class rather than just ethnic/cultural one, not every person of English descent in the US was a WASP, just a tiny handful of super rich families in the northeast and they surely never lived around niggers.
>>
>>2523899
Okay, so so substitute WASP for your "average" white American who wasn't considered some sort of "ethnic"

MCASPs?
>>
>>2523899
It's especially jarring because "Anglo Saxon" is White by default. You can't have non-White Anglo Saxon. Thus W as White doesn't even make sense. It comes off a needlessly tacked on word only to derogatorily describe a portion of the USA as opposed to having any real meaning.

Like "corporatism, liberalism, Fascism" and a plethora of other commonly misused and misunderstood terms I guess we need to live with the fact that the W of WASP will perpetually be known as standing for "White" even though it really doesn't.
>>
File: loving.jpg (138KB, 736x1045px) Image search: [Google]
loving.jpg
138KB, 736x1045px
>>2523881
Certainly wasn't unheard of. Anti-miscegenation laws started to be repealed during and after the Civil war. California's supreme court ruled that interracial marriage laws were unconstitutional in 1948.
>>
>>2523881
"No" because class.
Also "No" because race.
And a final "No" because the blacks were newcomers.
There were individual exceptions, but generally Anglo Northerners supported free markets and social liberalism, but simultaneously were in favor of business and housing discrimination, though not with violence or state enforcement.
>>
>>2524610
is that the couple that that COLONIZED "ah luv mah waife" movie was based off of
>>
>>2523881
My family had more more than most whites ever would make from the post civil war era and into the Civil rights era.

Tbh they dealt with segregation and discrimination even living in the North and being so well off. They just buffered those interactions by fostering very close ties nationally to other well to do black families and had Society Clubs for wealthy coloured families to associate amongst each other throughout the country.
>>
>>2525840
Yes
>>
>>2525807
....blacks weren't always new comers, Great Migration workers maybe but Blacks had always been in places like NYC, Chicago and Boston.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.