[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck did this happen in real life and not some kind of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: disputation barcelona.jpg (102KB, 562x553px) Image search: [Google]
disputation barcelona.jpg
102KB, 562x553px
How the fuck did this happen in real life and not some kind of disney story?

>Going to have a debate on theology between Christians and Jews
>And the judge is going to be a totally not biased at all Chrisitian king noted for his piety
>Christians still lose.
>>
>>2523297
think I've heard of this before. what's the source for this?
>>
king was obviously a crypto-jew
>>
>>2523297
>debate
>lose
In every debate both sides always think they won.
>>
>>2523297
(((they))) found a loophole in Christian theology
>>
>>2523307

To be honest, my source is Wikipedia. I haven't done real research into the primary sources.

>>2523316

It's not every debate that one side is awarded a prize from the king who is also serving as umpire.
>>
>>2523332
Prizes dont make you suddenly be right.
>>
>>2523374
It means the king who judged the debate favoured the jewish argument more. how is that not a victory for them.
>>
The Dominicans didn't lose. The king simply awarded Nahmanides a monetary participation trophy, since he had been ordered to argue his side and the king noted that he had never heard an unjust cause so nobly defended. He was basically saying "good job, thank you for coming and defending your side despite thinking you and your fellow Jews might be killed if you argued poorly."

The Wikipedia article has a clear Jewish bias. That is probably the source of your confusion. For example it says, "Relying upon the reserve his adversary would be forced to maintain through fear of incurring the wrath of the Christian dignitaries, Christiani assured the King that he could prove the truth of Christianity from the Talmud and other rabbinical writings. " in other words saying that friar Christiani wouldn't have thought he could win without his opponent holding back, basically saying that this Dominican friar who converted from Judaism somehow thought Christian theology couldn't possibly best Jewish theology, despite his conversion serving as testimony of the opposite.

The disputation of Barcelona is interesting, but the Wikipedia article on it is pretty bad.
>>
King James I of Aragon compelled Nahmanides to participate in a
public disputation in which he was expected to defend the Jews’ continued
messianic expectation in a debate with Friar Paul, a recent convert to Christianity. Accounts of the Barcelona disputation are preserved in two
contemporary documents: the first is a Hebrew account written by Nahmanides, and the second an anonymous Latin report. Each offers a highly self-interested representation of the event. Two years following the disputation some of Nahmanides’ Dominican adversaries charged him with circulating a false and blasphemous narrative of the disputation. A royal court convicted Nahmanides of these charges, and subsequently expelled him from the Crown of Aragon.
>>
>>2523297
Jews had external help. There's reason why their hats have anteanae
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.