[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So in ye olde days, how did everyone manage to walk around and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

So in ye olde days, how did everyone manage to walk around and store gold and silver without getting robbed?
>>
>>2520050

They didn't, being robbed was extremely common.
>>
>>2520050
By stabbing the person who is trying to rob you. Stupid question.
>>
File: Bane_ISHYGDDT.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Bane_ISHYGDDT.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>2520050
By being a big guy
>>
>>2520050
With guards.
Also, Banks would keep your gold, and give you a check to cash in. Early paper money was pretty much just checks, and people would later go to the bank and cash them in.
>>
>>2520050
With guns and safes.
>>
>>2520050
1. People were robbed.
2. People carried swords and travelled in groups (possibly hiring men for protection) in order to make bandits think twice.
>>
>>2520426

This. That's why there's dozens of pilgrims travelling together in the Canterbury Tales and some of them have weapons and armour. It's not just symbolism for the story, if they didn't they'd probably be robbed or killed
>>
>>2520239
10th century. How did they do it then?
>>
>>2520507
Most peasants basically had no money and operated on C-M-C, where money just flowed through their hands as a universal medium of exchange and to pay taxes. Merchants and lords had guards, and tended not to carry money with them unless necessary. Lords had treasuries. Merchants used promissory notes in various forms.
>>
>>2520527
>and to pay taxes
before someone corrects me, yes, they often payed taxes in crops and not money, I know, I was just listing the uses of money for a peasant.
>>
>>2520527
10th century? Even merchants and lords generally had no money either, or clergy for that matter.

Coins are either the top trade medium on high level, or something thats worthless because its not furs/cured meat/metal
>>
>>2521454
Kinda this. Bartering was the most common form of human exchange until the mid 20th century.
>>
>>2520507
You have a bigass family and your sons act like niggers towards anyone entering the village you dont know. You might bury your cash or keep none at all because the king just takes 2 goose and the church some grain as a tax.
If youre a cityfag you deal by it with any thief who gets caught getting killed in a cruel and entertaining way in public and maybe a henchman or two if you have to travel.
>>
Most people didn't have money.
>>
>>2520050
The Jews would hide the gold in thier noses. That's why they were bread to have such large snouts. Better for making a getaway with your gold when the local authorities get tired of you raping and killing Christian baby boys.
>>
>>2520507
No cash. Most peasants paid in food. England operated on a food based economy for like 300 years after the Saxons invaded.
>>
>>2520050
Axes, swords and brave companions. And you will never get my stuff.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.