[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can protestants claim that catholic/orthodox teachings are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: ikona019_1.jpg (138KB, 410x600px) Image search: [Google]
ikona019_1.jpg
138KB, 410x600px
How can protestants claim that catholic/orthodox teachings are wrong if Jesus said that "the gates of hell shall not prevail againts it" (Matt 16:18)? Wouldn't it mean that the gates of hell prevailed?
>>
>>2518548
Because Protestants are wrong
>>
>>2518548
No, because of the invisible church with universal priesthood persisted and the Protestant reformation happened. If that sounds like silly reasoning to you, keep in mind that the Catholic/Orthodox position that Jesus' brothers were actually cousins because Mary must be perpetually virginal looks equally silly.
>>
Because that whole part about Jesus giving Peter absolute moral authority (what you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, etc.) was probably squeezed in there so the church in Rome could press the claim to sole legitimacy.
>>
>>2518548
Because Catholicism wasn't what he was talking about. He was talking about his church, which transcends all labels and man given names.

You don't have to be Catholic or Protestant to get to the kingdom of heaven. Remember when Jesus was on the cross and one of the Apostles brought his mother and brother up to see him? And said ,"Behold, your mother and brother!" and Jesus said, "Who is my mother and who are my brothers? Those doing the will of my father."

As long as you do the will of the father you are as unto Jesus' own blood relation.

"Catholic", "Protestant", these are inventions designed by the Adversary to divide the faithful. Who cares if Jesus was God, or God was Jesus, or Jesus had three brothers or to sisters or no siblings at all or whatever. The ONLY thing that matters is following the will of the Lord, that's it. All else is dust & air.
>>
>>2518548
>Wouldn't it mean that the gates of hell prevailed?

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the the word prevail.

The Allies prevailed over the Axis, that doesnt mean the Allies dominated them during the entire war or suffered no set backs.

Hence why Apostolics didnt say the prophecy was wrong when Muslims conquered the Pentarchy

Even if all Christians were wiped off of the face of the world the prophecy would still not be broken as God could send new messengers.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.