[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about tidbits from the Roman Empire. We all know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Let's talk about tidbits from the Roman Empire. We all know about the accomplishments of this civilization, the big things, but what about the little-known stuff that very few people know?

Let me start.

>Pyrrhus to his colleague Chius: I grieve because I hear you have died; and so farewell.

In a basilica in Pompeii, Pyrrhus expressed his mourning for Chius by writing it, letting this otherwise seemingly insignificant dialogue known to us almost 2000 years later.

Continue on, /his/.
>>
I read an anecdote about a roman soldier who found a bag of pearls, and not knowing that the contents were worth anything, dumped the pearls and kept the bag
>>
Once a Roman soldier, thinking it'd be funny, farted during a Passover or Seder in jerusalem. People got so enraged that a riot and stampede broke out, killing 15,000 people or so.
>>
File: lamprey-article.jpg (133KB, 765x403px) Image search: [Google]
lamprey-article.jpg
133KB, 765x403px
Always gets me
>>
Roman graffiti is pretty funny.
>Successus the weaver is in love with the slave of the Innkeeper, whose name is Iris. She doesn't care about him at all, but he asks that she take pity on him.

The response
>You're so jealous you're bursting. Don't tear down someone more handsome―a guy who could beat you up and who is good-looking.

A few more:
>(Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid
>(just outside the Vesuvius gate); 6641: Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place
>(House of Orpheus); 4523: I have buggered men
>(in the basilica); 1880: The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian.
>(House of the Centenary; in the latrine near the front door); 5243: “Secundus defecated here” three time on one wall.
>Herculaneum (bar/inn joined to the maritime baths); 10675: "Two friends were here. While they were, they had bad service in every way from a guy named Epaphroditus. They threw him out and spent 105 and half sestertii most agreeably on whores."
>>
>>2518775

hahahahahahaha do you have more?
>>
I often wonder what life was like for the common Vigiles who kept the streets of Rome orderly.

They were dual purpose firemen and law enforcement.
>>
>>2518778
Not him, but my favorite of the Pompeii graffiti goes

>I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
>>
>>2518778
Here
http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm
>>
File: aetius.jpg (248KB, 945x1290px) Image search: [Google]
aetius.jpg
248KB, 945x1290px
Flavius Aetius, the Roman general who defeated Attila, grew up in the Huns' royal court and had a personal bodyguard of 500 Hun horse archers.
>>
>>2518791
This is amazing
>>
File: 1474223442472.png (4MB, 3100x6280px) Image search: [Google]
1474223442472.png
4MB, 3100x6280px
>>2518778
all yours
>>
>>2517903
>In a basilica in Pompeii
There was no Christian presence in Pompeii at the time of the explosion
>>
>>2518900
"The Latin word basilica has three distinct applications in modern English. The word was originally used to describe an ancient Roman public building where courts were held, as well as serving other official and public functions. To a large extent these were the town halls of ancient Roman life. The basilica was centrally located in every Roman town, usually adjacent to the main forum."
>>
>>2517914
Truly the niggers of ancient Europe
>>
>>2518775
Nothing has changed
>>
>>2518900
Mourning is not exclusively Christian, anon.
>>
>>2518775
Response to the response
>I have spoken. I have written all there is to say. You love Iris, but she does not love you.

-Severus
>>
>>2518788
>People called Romanes they go the house???
>>
>>2519713
Gave me a chuckle.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.