[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Mater si, magistra no (mother yes, teacher no) Can someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

>Mater si, magistra no (mother yes, teacher no)

Can someone explain the term and what it means?
>>
>>2514345
Incest is ok but fucking your teacher isn't

Pretty simple really
>>
>>2514345
Obey your mother always. Even when she's wrong
>>
>>2514364
Well actually he's applying it to Catholic social teaching

I just want to know which parts of Catholic teaching he felt free to ignore/disagree with, while still considering himself a Catholic

As in he probably disagreed with the church by thinking the developed world doesn't owe the developing world unlimited acceptance of its refugees
>>
File: Pope_Francis_in_March_2013.jpg (127KB, 996x996px) Image search: [Google]
Pope_Francis_in_March_2013.jpg
127KB, 996x996px
It's outright heresy, is what it is.

Obey the Church ALWAYS. No exceptions. Do you belong to the City of the World or the City of God?
>>
>>2514388
To be fair, Catholic social teaching pretty much ignore economic reality, preferring to fantasize about a world where everything is distributed fairly with no incentive besides doing the right thing.
>>
>>2514696

Shouldn't it be obey the lord first and then the church? If christ came again tomorrow and the church didn't recognize his second coming wouldn't you side with christ over the church?
>>
>>2514958
To be honest, I think if the church can't confirm the arrival of the actual Christ, I probably wouldn't be able to either.
>>
>>2515024

I don't know man. There were plenty of respected religious leaders in the Jewish community who couldn't recognize Christ as being the son of god when he came.

I'm always hesitant about putting my faith in anything run by humans before god. Yes, god works through the Church but one day he will come back and the church will END. The only final authority is GOD, not the church.

That's not an argument for ignoring whatever church you're a part of (catholic, orthodox or prot), just an argument against Church ALWAYS.
>>
File: 1416290631069.png (496KB, 610x485px) Image search: [Google]
1416290631069.png
496KB, 610x485px
>>2514728
The way I see it, the church's clergy should be looked to for spiritual guidance, in which we hold them supreme. When they say that we are to aid our common man, we aid our common man. When they say "Thou shalt not murder," we don't go and murder. Dogma and theology is to be divined by a body of clergy who dedicate their lives and are assembled for that purpose, not by the layman who reads a few bible verses but remains ignorant of several thousand years of history and previous interpretations.

That said, when a clergyman says to give aid to the poor, he's not an economist, or a sociologist, or anything approaching a think tank for non-theological matters. For example, I've seen some more naive priests assume directly giving money to the homeless is the best way to help them. His type doesn't realize the nuance below the surface of why giving a $20 to a man sitting on a street corner dying for another shot of alcohol is not going to fix the root of the problem.

I feel like the current Holy Father is that type of priest. He has an ideal in mind, but he doesn't understand how to best achieve it. He, and plenty of other priests, and even other clergy all throughout the chain of command, are stuck on a simplistic view of the world. Thankfully, many Catholic charity groups who've been doing this sort of work for decades and centuries have a little clearer picture on how to elevate people by teaching them skills and instilling orderly structures so that the common man can effectively provide for himself and others. Sure, there's foodstuffs handed out and shelters built for the indigent, but there's also a long term plan to help rectify the situation at its core.

This pretty much applies to everything the clergy says. They are giving you an ideal, but the mundane actions needed to achieve it are best left to those who are experts in the field, not a man who spends his life in cloistered walls being provided for by his organization.
>>
>>2515042
I'm just saying, the Christ returns, how do we know it's not just a pretender who just happened to discover something able to fool the world? All we have to go on is the church teachings we've had for two thousand years, so if I hear something that sounds contrary to normal dogma, I'm going to be awfully suspicious if that's the one.

For example, say Christ returns and reveals that we've been following some minor but intrinsic part of our belief for many years. One, this contradicts the idea that the bible and its writings were divinely inspired and thus infallible. Two, if it's something damning, it's been going on since the resurrection, you don't think God would've found some way to rectify it before it became established doctrine for his church?
>>
all conservatives have creepy incestual fantasies and this is just a publically reflected form of that subconscious issue
>>
>>2514958
T. Henry IV
>>
>>2515143
Very good post
>>
>>2514696
Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, render unto God that which is God's.
>>
>>2514696
City of the world.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.