[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it that makes ancient developed civilizations so fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: Ancient-egypt[1].jpg (61KB, 623x413px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-egypt[1].jpg
61KB, 623x413px
What is it that makes ancient developed civilizations so fucking fascinating?

Our modern world, though great, seems to lack the quintessence the ancients had.

What is it?
>>
>>2510906
Sensuousness.
>>
Partly rose-colored retrospection, partly the fact that the successful ones managed to have outsized influence on later cultures because everything was newer.
>>
File: chokladpudding.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
chokladpudding.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>2510941
>rose-colored retrospection

Wow. kys.
>>
>>2510906
Absolutely unlimited godly-imperial self-indulgence.

A modern president isn't even allowed to wear a gold ring that isn't a wedding band.
>>
You're cherry picking the best of the ancient world, and thinking that was the experience of the vast majority of people before modernity.

The great temples and palaces of Egypt or Rome were state-sponsored projects that we usually off limits to the commoners. The majority of medieval peasants didn't have their life graced with a mighty cathedral, merely a small wooden church in their village. The amount of creativity and time devoted almost solely to religious tradition, is spread out to include a range of philosophies and arts as well (economics, computer science, cinema, etc.).

It's easy to beat up on modernity, if your purposely looking to find fault in it. People who claim modernity has no meaning/culture/morals/etc. often project their own personal failures in finding these things onto the external world.
>>
File: rome-the-great-beauty-5-1920x800.jpg (315KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
rome-the-great-beauty-5-1920x800.jpg
315KB, 1920x800px
>>2510961
I don't think it's down to the fault of the individual: modern culture seems to be degenerate sex and mindless money grabbing. The increasingly non-sectarian climate adds to that lack of sensuousness/spirituality.
>>
>>2510991
Rome was sexually degenerate though
>>
>>2510991
That's a rare time I've seen someone argue that sectarianism is needed for society to have any sense of moral fortitude or fulfillment. Like the gun-ho war enthusiast that needs violence to spur any semblance of meaning in his life.

The rest of your post should be dismissed as anecdotes from another resentful youth, underdeveloped in both mind and experience.

Essentially you need to get out more.

Your reply will most likely accuse me of not experiencing enough of the world, since I don't share the same, sickly distorted view of it. So I won't bother replying unless I see something new.
>>
>>2511019
Kill yourself, you SJW millennial gay homo cuck.
>>
>>2511032
I just saw you post the exact same sentence in another thread, you shitty troll
>>
File: La-grande-bellezza_00-680x400.jpg (69KB, 680x400px) Image search: [Google]
La-grande-bellezza_00-680x400.jpg
69KB, 680x400px
>>2511019
My reply was going to be fine and continue the discussion, until your completely incorrect last sentence.

I see you're invested in spreading and receiving negativity, as well as being a hypocrite, so I'll leave you to your own devices.

Make good on your statement, and do not respond. Cunt.
>>
>>2510906
It's the spiritual aspect that attracts people, since we live in absolute materialism due to capitalism dictating every aspect of western civilisation.
>>
>>2511046
Bygone eras were far more materialistic though. Myths of gods and religion being the primary identity and formal legitimiser of political aspirations give a romantic light to it but if you take an honest look on what actually happened you'll see that people were much more likely to straight up murder each other for wealth. Every culture ever has evolved along its economic opportunities.
>>
>>2511019
First of all, this is my first post directed at you. I'm not the other guy.

>Essentially you need to get out more.
Essentially, you are basically trying to convince yourself that you are not fourteen years old, and I guess "babbling." You might even be "obsessed" with whatever semblance of a topic this conversation purports to have, pretentiously.

Now, the above was me turning your teenybopper style of argumentation back on you. If you're not a teeanger, you certainly think like one. Who talks about "youths," and then mentions maturity twice or three times afterwards, then "essentially" advises his opponent to try drinking alcohol at a bar to boost his maturity levels?

Presumably a 50 year old business owner with a neat goatee and a yacht. Wouldn't dream of "accusing" you of being anything else.
>>
>>2511056
/thread
Also, on thought an great thinkers of the era: please look at Pompeii's graffiti or the first recorded joke (spoiler: it's a Sumerian fart joke).

Plato, Cato, Confucius and company are the cream of the crop The folk of profound civilizations like ancient Sumer, Greece, China, etc. were pretty much just like us in terms of DEJENURUT nature.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.