[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about Terence McKenna? He has a reputation of being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: terence mckenna.jpg (37KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
terence mckenna.jpg
37KB, 1024x768px
Can we talk about Terence McKenna? He has a reputation of being a new age bullshit hippy crackpot, but some of his ideas are very interesting.

>Stoned Ape theory
>UFO's are actually the collective human subconsciousness
>Novelty Theory
>Time Wave Zero

Even if most of this is psuedoscience, it's fun to talk about it, especially his discussions and lecture on the evolution of human consciousness and language.
>>
>even if most of this is psuedoscience, it's fun to talk about it
Fine, but this isn't the board the place for it. Try >>>/x/

>UFO's are actually the collective human subconsciousness
I don't want an answer to this question, but what in the flying fuck sort of coherent thought could possibility exist within an idea described as such lmao
>>
>>2509115
lol, i meant "this board isn't the place for it"
>>
>>2509111

He's the most entertaining person to listen to on youtube I'm aware of. He's completely wrong about every concrete claim he had, but that doesn't mean he wasn't still really smart and interesting as a speaker.
>>
>>2509115
>>2509120
I haven't been to /x/ in like, eight years. I forgot it existed, or I might've gone there. The majority of his lectures or writings are philosophical in nature, or highly referential to anthropology.
>>
>>2509115

>what in the flying fuck sort of coherent thought could possibility exist within an idea described as such

That's actually one of the few things he wasn't wrong about. It's a pretty mainstream view in fact, which is that UFOs aren't real, and insofar as they aren't real what they really are is a modern Jungian archetype, an idea that isn't consciously invented but lots of people have on a subconscious level as a manifestation of anxiety about the unknown, like an updated version of the dragon / snake archetype.
>>
>>2509141
I don't think he's too far off the mark with the idea about mushrooms being actually extraterrestrial, though I think he might've distanced himself from that later in life. The back and forth whether or not the Logos is the psyche or a deity/alien figure is interesting, which despite my own experience I still can't form an opinion.
>>
I think he could have been on to something with the stoned ape theory, although I don't think it would have occurred as specifically as he described it. I'm also pretty certain on novelty theory, although I don't think it has an end point or reset point like he thought, I think it'll just keep going, our creation of the digital world is proof of that.
>>
File: 1485796774231.jpg (35KB, 400x349px) Image search: [Google]
1485796774231.jpg
35KB, 400x349px
This dude got way too high and came up with a bunch of crack-pot ideas period he also supported 2012 Mayan theories if that's any clue for you
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.