[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If life has no meaning and we look at this from a primarily secular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
If life has no meaning and we look at this from a primarily secular perspective, how do we avoid the path to hedonism?

I struggle with this every day and each decision I have made (gratification in short term) has left me with issues in the long term (not studying properly etc.) Let alone those with drink and drug and sexual partner issues. I recognise these problems in myself and I see it through out mainstream society and I don't think this is being directly addressed.
>>
Why is hedonism wrong?
>>
>>2506893
Because God made it so and let it be, faggot!
>>
>>2506860
>how do we avoid the path to hedonism?
You don't.
>>
>>2506860
You could flip into stoicism, I suppose.

Why retain the godless worldview though?
>>
>>2507758
Because God(s) don't real
>>
>>2506893
When people criticize hedonism they are mostly talking about unconscious hedonistic behavior. Unconscious hedonistic behavior often lead to unhappiness in the long term because of a focus on pleasure gratification over self-betterment. Now if your talking about philosophical hedonism, it's as legitimate lifestyle as any but a lot of people disagrees with the philosophical principals as well.
>>
If you're worried about the degenerative effects a hedonistic lifestyle may cause, just rationalize it thusly: suppressing overt hedonism in the moment in favor of ascetic action, such as studying and abstaining from alcohol and junk food, makes sure you can keep up a hedonistic lifestyle in the future. The answer here, like in most of all lifestyle issues, is moderation.
>>
Hedonism can be turned into a problem of 3+n aesthetics.

What is the most fulfilling and beautiful of rhythms, the most rapturous of sights, and the most hideous strength?

The most frequent periods possible of the change between victory and defeat and back again.

Not only would it fulfill the harsh cold masters of thought but it would be the most pleasurable of senses to stray from linear gaming into surviving scenes of pure gambling.
>>
>>2507953
Of course the problem is not pleasure itself. It's trying to make one's mind a dumb pasture that one depends on a steady and regular drip of "pleasure" without the great risks and great awards to make the signal useful in anyway.

There are crack hedonics and then there are higher hedonics.
>>
>>2507758
Stoicism acknowledges that life in a universe without Providence is not worth living. Epicureanism is the alternative, but that essentially is a form of hedonism
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.