[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historically, what country is France culturally the closest to?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: french-guy.jpg (68KB, 298x400px) Image search: [Google]
french-guy.jpg
68KB, 298x400px
Historically, what country is France culturally the closest to? They speak a Latin language but their culture is kinda alien to the rest of the Latin countries in Europe, kinda like Romania.
>>
File: Italy_North_location_map.svg.png (295KB, 1280x818px) Image search: [Google]
Italy_North_location_map.svg.png
295KB, 1280x818px
France is closest to Northern Italy culturally. Any other responses are menes.
>>
>>2505085
Depends what you mean by historically. There is a lot of shared history with England, but also with the HRE, large influences in Northern Italy, and the shared dynasty and resulting pact with Spain cannot be ignored. Also, France is not a cultural monolith, northern France is closer culturally to the low countries and closeby german states and Occitan France closer to Italy and Spain
>>
>>2505108
South east France is, north west France is closer to the British isles, northern France to the Dutch, north east to the Germans, south West to the Iberian peninsula.
>>
Belgium, especially the southern half.
>>
>>2505085
Wallonia, no doubt.
>>
>>2505085
Basically all its neighbours

Culturally? Italy and England.
>>
>>2505181
>>2505631
Belgium doesn't count. It's a non-country. Wallonia is French and Flanders is Dutch.
>>
>>2505669
Based on this, The US and the USSR are also not countries as they are/were multilingual states.
>>
>>2505180
Ironically, this was true when Algeria was under French rule.
>>
File: Savoie.jpg (876KB, 1632x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Savoie.jpg
876KB, 1632x2448px
>>2505085
I'm not sure if pre-1815 Savoy-Piedmont was even considered Italian.
Maybe someone can tell me for sure.
>>
>>2505674
Are you unironically implying the USSR was a country?
>>
>>2505085
Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Romania
>>
>>2505693
Yes it was. It was a highly centralized union.
>>
>>2505085
Heaven or Paradise
>>
File: france191.png (94KB, 782x720px) Image search: [Google]
france191.png
94KB, 782x720px
>>2505692
It was neither French nor Italian. Both of those are meme ethnicites.
>>
File: Linguistic_map_of_Italy.png (259KB, 1632x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Linguistic_map_of_Italy.png
259KB, 1632x2112px
>>2505760
>>
>>2505760
But italy shared standardized italian as a common language since the middle ages and italian languages are all from the same family and mutually understandable (except for the sardinian ) which is the base of an "italian identity", while in France langue d'oc and langue d'oc shares almost nothing in common (whithout even mentioning alien languages like briton, basque, alsacian and corsican). Italy is pretty homogenous compared to France.
>>
>>2505793
>implying French isn't 10x more standardized than Italian
>implying I can understand shit about terroni dialects in Sicily and Naples

t. Piemonte
>>
>>2505793
then why does gomorrah have subtitles on Italian tv?

checkmate
>>
>>2505838
>>2505856
Napolitan or sicilian are still closer to piemontan than picard is to provencal.
>>
File: finger-purse.jpg (20KB, 200x230px) Image search: [Google]
finger-purse.jpg
20KB, 200x230px
>>2505793
Do you know why Italians gesticulate a lot? It's because they couldn't understand each other very well during the time of the Italian city-states, so they kinda created a pseudo-sign language to overcome that barrier. So no, the dialects aren't completely mutually intelligible at all.
>>
>>2505856
In french tv, when someone from the south speak in french with its own accent, he's sometimes subtitled because parisians are too dumb to make an effort to understand, but he still speak regular french
>>
>>2505909
Do you know why the french don't speak their regional languages anymore ? It's because theu couldn't understand each other AT ALL before the 19th century, so they enforced french languages in school and punishment for everyone speaking its mother's tongue in public. So i state my case that Italy is still homogenous COMPARED to France
>>
File: 1476996038667.jpg (56KB, 900x635px) Image search: [Google]
1476996038667.jpg
56KB, 900x635px
>>2505767
Why are there so many Analbanians in South Italy? Is this why it's such a shithole?
>>
>>2506021
Ancient migrations? It's not like today where aliens come in by the boatloads to get on German govt cheese. Albanian presence has existed in South Italy for a long time, same as Greek. Those area's were simply were TOO Albanian during unification process to be Italicized.
>>
>>2505085

Northern Italy, Belgium. Switzerland, East Germany.

It's more that Britain is closer to France.
>>
File: gauloises_gitanes[1].jpg (51KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
gauloises_gitanes[1].jpg
51KB, 620x372px
who cares? the France we used to know will disappear in two generations
and no, Le Pen won't win elections
the weak perishes, au revoir
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.