[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did the issue of Separation of Church and State become a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: church and state.jpg (24KB, 680x511px) Image search: [Google]
church and state.jpg
24KB, 680x511px
When did the issue of Separation of Church and State become a topic for the western world? Was it the dawn of protestantism or the French Revolution, or some other time?

I know officially people point to it as something necessary to allow for religious freedom, but surely there's other reasons for adopting it, seeing as some pluralized societies allowed religious freedom even though the state itself was closely related to a specific religion.
>>
>When did the issue of Separation of Church and State become a topic for the western world?
When Deism, Freemasonry, agnosticism and atheism became a rival paradigm to Christianity.

around the 1700s i'd say.
>>
At least from the Investiture Controversy.
>>
>>2500258
Wrong
>>
I guess after 1/3 of German population had been killed, they started to realize what a state religion isn't such a good idea after all.
>>
>>2500287
But separation of church and state began in Anglo America and France...
>>
>>2500287
I figured this would be the biggest, most practical reasons for the development. Both sides were too weary to fight, so people just said fuck it, it doesn't matter what you are, we're all (insert ethnicity/nationality here). And with that, people began to find common ground outside of religion since that could no longer be counted on to keep people together.

Probably was the reason for the rise of nationalism and other unifying ideologies after it too -- the absence of a former identity brought up a void to be filled for many people.
>>
>>2500308
>Both sides were too weary to fight
But separation of church and state didn't first occur in countries with Christian religious conflict. It happened in America and France.

It was deism vs Christianity, not Protestantism vs Catholicism that caused separation of church and state.
>>
>>2500429
I was thinking the wars set the initial thinking for the idea rather than actually implemented the idea itself. German Princes still held to their denomination of Christianity, but stopped antagonizing each other for it; that set in motion the eventual idea of religious freedom, and led to the separation of church and state as a tool to further that.

America is the first state I know of to actually mandate the idea of separation of church and state, though this could be from my own incomplete look on history as I know more of my own country than outside of it. I'm not specifically looking at who accomplished it first, but rather the frame of mind of those who proposed it, and what historical basis or ideals they drew from to push it.
>>
>>2500232
1950's America when things like prayer was removed from schools. However that being said, it probably entered our world much, much earlier
>>
>>2500439
>but rather the frame of mind of those who proposed it,
The religious war brought with them the idea of Westphalia sovereignty, not separation of church and state.

The founding fathers of America were revolutionaries guided by enlightenment values. These included things such as naturalism and deism. The Founding Fathers weren't all Christian, many were freemasons, and in cases like Benjamin Franklin opposed to Christianity. That was the mindset.

not "lets stop fighting" and more "I have an opposing view of religious people based on my own beliefs. Lets enforce it."
>>
>>2500458

So completely wrong.
>>
>>2500232
Because the clergy was rich.
>>
>>2500232
>No nation has ever existed or been governed without religion – nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I, as Chief Magistrate of this nation, am bound to give it the sanction of my example.

-Thomas Jefferson (Protestant)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.