[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any memoirs or books written by soldiers who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Does anyone have any memoirs or books written by soldiers who were in the thick of Stalingrad? And by in the thick of it I mean participating in the bloodiest and most chaotic fighting. German or Soviet doesn't matter to me.
>>
why are there no good movies about Stalingrad?
>>
>>2498393
Because movies come from Hollywood and Hollywood didn't make Soviet propaganda
>>
>>2498393
>main character dies in the first 5 minutes
>>
>>2498384

Sadly, the only memoir I've read of Stalingrad is Chuikov's. And while I'm sure he referred to other soldiers memoirs, it's been ages since I've read it and I can't remember who and where.
>>
>>2498393
There is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(1993_film)
>>
It's not a specific memoir, but check out The Stalingrad Protocols. It contains interviews with Stalingrad survivors that the Russian government suppressed for almost 70 years.
>>
>>2498482
thanks
>>
File: civil defense woman.jpg (26KB, 230x594px) Image search: [Google]
civil defense woman.jpg
26KB, 230x594px
Red Road from Stalingrad-- Mansur Abdulin
Voices from Stalingrad
Eastern Front Combat
Enemy at the Gates-- William Craig
Notes of a Russian Sniper-- Zaitsev
From Stalingrad to Pillau

Note most of these memoirs are on the Soviet Side, but Amazon should help you link to other soldiers who were at Stalingrad. I'm still looking for Soviet Naval Memoirs, and Leningrad Memoirs.
>>
>>2498384
Vasily Grossman is probably the best available in English, though, from what I've read about him, sometimes he slips into full propaganda mode. But still good otherwise. Serious historians quote his stuff.
>>
>>2498405
this actually might be the reason>>2498408
>>
>>2498384
>>2498720
You want to read Vasily Grossman's Life and Faith, the one work he wrote against the will of the Sovjet and the one he (and many critics with him) considered his masterpiece. Also the one book the KGB took from him. It only got printed once someone smuggled it out of the USSR years later.
It's a Russian family epic, with the battle of Stalingrad woven through. A harsh look inside of sovjet and nazi camps, the front in Stalingrad and the life of Russian civilians, written in the sprawling style of Tolstoys War and Peace, by a sovjet journalist who actually visited Stalingrad during the fighting.

It's not always historically correct and i might be biased, but it's written in a beautifull style and both Germans as Russians get portrayed as humans over the course of 800 pages. The virtues and cruelties of both side are portrayed without holding anything back. Which often makes it horrifying and made it deemed unpublishable in the USSR.
>>
>>2498384
Guderian - Panzer leader
>>
>>2503405
I just remembered Friedrich Paulus - Stalingrad was bretty good too!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.